P1000 Suspension Upgrade ( the Saga Continues)

Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Based upon the input of many forum members: i am opting for the Elka, Stage 2 ( that was Elk’s reommendation).

As part of the upgrade I will be adding a Highlifter 2.5” Lift Kit, and their 1.5” Wheel Spacers to ensure there is no interference. The next big question, is alignment adjustment. Any best practices out there

Reactions: Robobrainiac
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are no adjustments for caster and camber. The only thing you can set is the "Toe". Unless you go to some sort of aftermarket A-Arms all the way around. Standard toe setting is 1/8 - 1/4" Toe in, split equally between both sides.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can speak from experience the high lifter arms will only give you front toe adjustment. If you don't want to tape measure it yourself you might be able to find a local shop who can align it.

I did my own at the shop I work at. I did it while stock and again after the high lifter arms.

Last edited:
Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are no adjustments for caster and camber. The only thing you can set is the "Toe". Unless you go to some sort of aftermarket A-Arms all the way around. Standard toe setting is 1/8 - 1/4" Toe in, split equally between both sides.
Thank you all!! As usual, the replies are always a quick turnaround .
Cheers!

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recommend SATV A-Arms. They will allow for larger tires and give you camber and caster adjustment.
I'm running Super ATV arms and Elkas. It's a good combination. I don't think the 2.5" lift will work well with the Elka springs. You will likely be better of with more preload or a stiffer spring if you need to maintain ride height.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
As part of the upgrade I will be adding a Highlifter 2.5” Lift Kit, and their 1.5” Wheel Spacers to ensure there is no interference. The next big question, is alignment adjustment. Any best practices out there
Yeahhhhh stay away from the bracket lift and get some arms and use the preload on the shock for your lift Or youll be right back here with more questions and us saying what where saying now. Work smarter not harder and do it once! 😉

Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm running Super ATV arms and Elkas. It's a good combination. I don't think the 2.5" lift will work well with the Elka springs. You will likely be better of with more preload or a stiffer spring if you need to maintain ride height.
Thanks for the feedback Todd. I called Elka, described the exact set up as well as typical (and non-typical) load and driving. As I understand it, they custom build each set based on the input. I do know they are supplying some custom springs

Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the feedback Todd. I called Elka, described the exact set up as well as typical (and non-typical) load and driving. As I understand it, they custom build each set based on the input. I do know they are supplying some custom springs
I couldnt afford the A-Arms and all the kit that you need once you go down that road. This a farm and hunting vehicle and only very little rough stuff like some of the trails up at Ride Royal Blue

advertisement
Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you all!! As usual, the replies are always a quick turnaround .
Cheers!
Mucho Gracias for the reply earlier in the week! There appear to be two, although possibly more, alignment devises on the market. The first is with wheels on and the second with wheels off with the hubs resting on the ground in a loaded configuration but taking the wheels and tire wear ( side lugs ) out of the equation. Are there some best practices (hopefully with links) out there in our community to assist?

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Mucho Gracias for the reply earlier in the week! There appear to be two, although possibly more, alignment devises on the market. The first is with wheels on and the second with wheels off with the hubs resting on the ground in a loaded configuration but taking the wheels and tire wear ( side lugs ) out of the equation. Are there some best practices (hopefully with links) out there in our community to assist?
I used 2 6' levels as a straight edge and a tape measure...... 👍
Giphy 13

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also use the string and jack stands method and aligned it as square as I could. I like the way it handles and tires are wearing fine.

Reactions: JenElio

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!