Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've been asking the same question on the p1k and from all I've really came up with is that it's a heavy machine and needs it. Higher speeds with a bigger load normally. If you're strictly bouncing around at slow speeds then maybe remove it. There is one in the rear only and is very easy to unbolt however I haven't yet. My suggestion would be the same as others have told me and that's simply to unbolt it and see. It's pretty easy to spot it goes from one control arm to the one on the other side. It's the only solid thing between to two sides and sits fairly high up on the far side of the suspension. What they are designed to do is to lower the opposite side of the vehicle at the same time one is compressed. Say you go into a corner hard it then drops one side and raises the opposite, if hard enough it'll roll. With the bar it tends to drop the other side a bit to help stabilize the vehicle. I still may mess with mine someday but I'm pretty happy with the way the back of the vehicle is.

Sent from iPhone

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
SWAY BARS
Some of you remove it.
Some of you don't advise it.

So I've done my Googling...
And I have not found a definitive answer, and probably won't... but you guys are my family, so I ask you.

This is an honest question (and a poll). I'm not trying to ignite a firestorm.

So the easy questions...
1. Where are the sway bars located?
2. Is it a pair of bars, or just one bar?
3. Are they found on the front only, back only, front & back?

Particularly curious if anyone has removed them, but then later felt compelled to reinstall them. Why?

Personal experiences?
Your thoughts, otherwise...?
This is the swaybar located on the rear of sxs,as you can see I took mine off, the type of riding I do is mostly on flat trails with pot holes and washboards that are in places a ft. deep for me it was a night and day difference, do I think everyone should remove them, no,everyones riding style is different, its a judgment call.
WIN 20160815 132457

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Saying that... does my Honda Rancher ATV use a sway bar? Is it just a SxS thing?

Or an IRS thing?

They run them on all different suspension setups but more common with irs

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: Jshell3
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Ties both rear wheels together

Reactions: Jshell3
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
SWAY BARS
Some of you remove it.
Some of you don't advise it.

Poll closes Aug 22, 2016 at 1:06 PM.
J, literally it takes 10 minutes to disconnect it. You can leave it in place and then ride it. If you don't like it, don't appreciate the difference, reconnect.

Chance135

Chance135

Jun 18, 2015
Southern Maine
Like Montecresto said, just just take off the sway bar links but leave the swaybar in place and go for a ride. I much prefer to disconnect for trail riding. Our trails are very rough and a freed up suspension works much better for me. Now if you powerslide into every corner you may want to reconsider.

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Has anyone that has taken it off rolled their machine on a hard corner? Or came close?
Rolled mine on a hard corner but it completely flipped in the air and landed back on its feet and we just kept going like nothing ever happened, laughing. :D

Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
Has anyone that has taken it off rolled their machine on a hard corner? Or came close?
Nope. I think even though it leans now in turns, it is safer. All i can say is i ride fast on trails. And the only times i have been close to a rollover is always in slow extreme unlevel terrain. This machine cant drift. Not enough power. So its just not needed

J

Jshell3

J, literally it takes 10 minutes to disconnect it. You can leave it in place and then ride it. If you don't like it, don't appreciate the difference, reconnect.
Well, Sway came off. All the way. I keep the bits and pieces, just in case.
The worst part was getting it out from under the machine after unbolted. It reminded me of the horseshoe and ring puzzle you'd find at a Stuckey's.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'll be watching to see how you like it after removal

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Awesome thank you

Sent from iPhone

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Glad to help out, you have the best of both worlds being able to compare side by side with and without sway bar, keep us posted on how they compare on the trail.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!