P500 Sway Bar. Honest question.

Sway Bars... ON or OFF

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
J

Jshell3

Some sway bar info; Keep in mind that after all the Yamaha Rhino rollover injuries and lawsuits, Yamaha finally gave owners free doors AND instructed dealers / owners to REMOVE the rear sway bar. I had removed mine years earlier because the rear IRS was not really independent because the sway bar ties them together some, removed they become fully independent giving a smoother ride over bumps. Another benefit was giving the machine some body roll in corners. Before I removed my Rhino sway bar, I went around a corner too fast and put it on it's side tearing my foot up. It happened in an instant, no warning like it was about to tip over, no body roll warning, just bang on it's side in about 2 seconds. When you have some body roll after sway bar removed, you often get a much better warning if it's about to tip over, you can feel it leaning first giving you a warning. This is why Yamaha wanted the Rhino sway bars removed. Soon after I got my P-500 I disconnected the sway bar, a smoother ride. I remember standing on the side of the 500 with the sway bar on, and tried to rock it side to side, very stiff. Sway bar off much softer rocking side to side, was a little nervous my first few rides it might be a lot more tippy, nope, still very stable, feel it's safer with some body roll and some tip over warning even though I never get close to that. Honda's are known at least to me to have stiff suspension, removing the sway bar helped, making it true independent rear suspension.
Well said.

Reactions: Arizona
J

JTW

So I should have my 17 this week.. We rode again yesterday and considering I'm still hitching. (No montecresto.. It wasn't a put out or get out kinda thing!) I'll be taking my sway bar off.

**flashback**
A month ago I was riding b*tch and we were climbing a hill, at this point he hadn't taken off his sway bar yet. It got hairy and I ended up standing on the front to make it up.

**present-day**
So yesterday we're riding.. Yup, I'm still a passenger! And we go up the same hill but my buddy has now removed the sway bar. The hill is worse from washing and others riding. We get to the hairy spot and the little sway barless p5 handles it like a champ! Much better ride and technical handling with the sway bar removed. More body roll out on the blacktop but it was very manageable, I never felt like I was going to have to save my beer! Anyway.. To each is own, but depending on riding style and terrain what everyone that's taken it off has said is right on. I won't say that hard riding into every turn with stock wheels and tires wouldn't possibly warrant leaving it on.. But with a bigger/heavier set of tires and the lack of raw power anyway... It's better with it off! Hence, one of the first things I do to _______ (the one that's yet to be named) will be to slip her sway bar off faster than a stripper can climb a poll!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So I should have my 17 this week.. We rode again yesterday and considering I'm still hitching. (No montecresto.. It wasn't a put out or get out kinda thing!) I'll be taking my sway bar off.

**flashback**
A month ago I was riding b*tch and we were climbing a hill, at this point he hadn't taken off his sway bar yet. It got hairy and I ended up standing on the front to make it up.

**present-day**
So yesterday we're riding.. Yup, I'm still a passenger! And we go up the same hill but my buddy has now removed the sway bar. The hill is worse from washing and others riding. We get to the hairy spot and the little sway barless p5 handles it like a champ! Much better ride and technical handling with the sway bar removed. More body roll out on the blacktop but it was very manageable, I never felt like I was going to have to save my beer! Anyway.. To each is own, but depending on riding style and terrain what everyone that's taken it off has said is right on. I won't say that hard riding into every turn with stock wheels and tires wouldn't possibly warrant leaving it on.. But with a bigger/heavier set of tires and the lack of raw power anyway... It's better with it off! Hence, one of the first things I do to _______ (the one that's yet to be named) will be to slip her sway bar off faster than a stripper can climb a poll!

There you have it!!!

Reactions: JTW
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

**flashback**

**present-day**

Gotta own one...before ya can name it
riding shotgun....don't count

J

JTW

Gotta own one...before ya can name it
riding shotgun....don't count
That's like saying just the tip doesn't count!! She may not count it but I damn sure do!
I will get to know her before I name her though!

Reactions: Dp5hunter
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
That's like saying just the tip doesn't count!! She may not count it but I damn sure do!
I will get to know her before I name her though!
We've already named it for you
......PEDDLES........

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I know it's a different machine but I disconnected the sway bar this weekend on the 1000 because of a lot of the comments many made here and pretty happy. We rode all types of terrain from really heavy to dirt roads loaded up. The dirt roads were a little sketchy till you felt it out a bit and the pot holes are very nice it doesn't upset the vehicle nearly as bad. Trails it articulated so well much much smoother. We got into a logged area with side hill that was the only time I didn't like it. If one tire got into the lower section that was soft it gave you a hell Mary in your mind. I guess everything has positive and negative repercussions but other than severe side hills it's awesome. Probably not for everyone but like many here I would suggest just pulling it and see what you think.

Sent from iPhone

J

JTW

I know it's a different machine but I disconnected the sway bar this weekend on the 1000 because of a lot of the comments many made here and pretty happy. We rode all types of terrain from really heavy to dirt roads loaded up. The dirt roads were a little sketchy till you felt it out a bit and the pot holes are very nice it doesn't upset the vehicle nearly as bad. Trails it articulated so well much much smoother. We got into a logged area with side hill that was the only time I didn't like it. If one tire got into the lower section that was soft it gave you a hell Mary in your mind. I guess everything has positive and negative repercussions but other than severe side hills it's awesome. Probably not for everyone but like many here I would suggest just pulling it and see what you think.

Sent from iPhone
I was curious how the bigger machines with more power would be.. I can see it being more useful on a 1000 than the little 500.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I was curious how the bigger machines with more power would be.. I can see it being more useful on a 1000 than the little 500.

Ya so far so good! Really sketch on loose side hills but the traction is great.

Sent from iPhone

M

mooseman_24

Feb 7, 2016
moncton
Nope. I think even though it leans now in turns, it is safer. All i can say is i ride fast on trails. And the only times i have been close to a rollover is always in slow extreme unlevel terrain. This machine cant drift. Not enough power. So its just not needed
I like your comment. I have 26” tires on original rims. That being said, do you have offset rims or spacers or are you just riding on original rims also. I’m reading this could make a difference

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I missed this... if your gonna do it that would be ideal. Had to be a little freaky though.
Yeah.........it was just a lark @Stacy....:D

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I completely removed my sway bar and WOW what a difference in overall ride quality. My primary use is on nicely groomed, tight trails with no real challenges to speak of, but the "relaxed nature" of the machine/ability to more freely articulate almost feels like turf mode on a Polaris Ranger. Can I even mention Polaris here, LOL...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I completely removed my sway bar and WOW what a difference in overall ride quality. My primary use is on nicely groomed, tight trails with no real challenges to speak of, but the "relaxed nature" of the machine/ability to more freely articulate almost feels like turf mode on a Polaris Ranger. Can I even mention Polaris here, LOL...
Yep, it’s better on the trail. But be forewarned, it’s sketchy at speeds on gravel roads particularly.

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Yep, it’s better on the trail. But be forewarned, it’s sketchy at speeds on gravel roads particularly.
My sway bar has been disconnected a long time, and I travel graded gravel Arizona roads at top speeds, but I never noticed anything 'sketchy' at all, runs smooth & straight, maybe wiggle a little if I wiggle the steering wheel but then it straightens right out after.

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Good for you. Sometimes I think sway bars are put on just so we can figure out to disconnect them, and then enjoy the ride so much more. On my P-500 my sway bar has been disconnected for almost 4 years, all types of riding, and never had the slightest desire to re-connect it.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good for you. Sometimes I think sway bars are put on just so we can figure out to disconnect them, and then enjoy the ride so much more. On my P-500 my sway bar has been disconnected for almost 4 years, all types of riding, and never had the slightest desire to re-connect it.
When I took mine off, would go around a corner I would feel a roll, adjusted the slow speed dampening stiffer and all good!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My sway bar has been disconnected a long time, and I travel graded gravel Arizona roads at top speeds, but I never noticed anything 'sketchy' at all, runs smooth & straight, maybe wiggle a little if I wiggle the steering wheel but then it straightens right out after.
I should have specified cornering on gravel roads at speed..

advertisement