rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
My dad is firm on leaving his alone... So if I should ever discover an opportunity for a side by side comparison...
I'll post the findings here!
Smart man

FYI:::::::::
removing sway bar
& posting it.....
makes you liable.for injury

So keep that in mind......
This day & age....people
looking to make a Buck $
just saying.....?

Last edited by a moderator:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Rocmar that is a crappy thing people have to bring to the table is a free ride off of life. I know several people that would use that in that kind of scenario so you are probably correct in mentioning it. Sucks but true

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: iowaguy
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Rocmar that is a crappy thing people have to bring to the table is a free ride off of life. I know several people that would use that in that kind of scenario so you are probably correct in mentioning it. Sucks but true

Sent from iPhone
Very true....
it doesn't make that
big of a difference to me
plus others ride my p500
& I'm better safe than sorry

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Sent from iPhone
Honda made us remove our safety compliance sticker. Seems that they are vulnerable already. Removing the sway bar prevents roll overs, I rarely get a wheel off the ground anymore. The sway bar stiffened the suspension and caused a wheel to lift off the ground when riding through a rut that put the P5 into a twisting motion. Safety has been improved!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's funny! It's always a good idea to know the people on your equipment is all

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: Jshell3
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
HAHA... @Little_g - your avatar...
Lol. Got a little stuck that day and she was thirsty. 20 minutes later we were going again. All in fun! I live to ride. I know there Are probably way more people that ride a lot more then I do, but I bought that new last year with 6 miles on it and now I have 2400+. That's a lot for me. Hard to find people to ride most of the time and hard when you don't work weekends and everyone else does.

Looking at trading up to the 700 next year. Will see what happens.

IMG 0545

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Lol. Got a little stuck that day and she was thirsty. 20 minutes later we were going again. All in fun! I live to ride. I know there Are probably way more people that ride a lot more then I do, but I bought that new last year with 6 miles on it and now I have 2400+. That's a lot for me. Hard to find people to ride most of the time and hard when you don't work weekends and everyone else does.

Looking at trading up to the 700 next year. Will see what happens.
If you're trading up, don't let the dealer see that pic! o_O

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well, Sway came off. All the way. I keep the bits and pieces, just in case.
The worst part was getting it out from under the machine after unbolted. It reminded me of the horseshoe and ring puzzle you'd find at a Stuckey's.
So J, are you still liking the P5 without the sway bar?

J

Jshell3

So J, are you still liking the P5 without the sway bar?
Honestly, I've not ridden over rough terrain to test it properly. But is doesn't feel like I'm living dangerously or anything with it removed.

So, yes I'm fine with it, and look forward for what's to come

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Honestly, I've not ridden over rough terrain to test it properly. But is doesn't feel like I'm living dangerously or anything with it removed.

So, yes I'm fine with it, and look forward for what's to come
Ok, well keep us posted.

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Some sway bar info; Keep in mind that after all the Yamaha Rhino rollover injuries and lawsuits, Yamaha finally gave owners free doors AND instructed dealers / owners to REMOVE the rear sway bar. I had removed mine years earlier because the rear IRS was not really independent because the sway bar ties them together some, removed they become fully independent giving a smoother ride over bumps. Another benefit was giving the machine some body roll in corners. Before I removed my Rhino sway bar, I went around a corner too fast and put it on it's side tearing my foot up. It happened in an instant, no warning like it was about to tip over, no body roll warning, just bang on it's side in about 2 seconds. When you have some body roll after sway bar removed, you often get a much better warning if it's about to tip over, you can feel it leaning first giving you a warning. This is why Yamaha wanted the Rhino sway bars removed. Soon after I got my P-500 I disconnected the sway bar, a smoother ride. I remember standing on the side of the 500 with the sway bar on, and tried to rock it side to side, very stiff. Sway bar off much softer rocking side to side, was a little nervous my first few rides it might be a lot more tippy, nope, still very stable, feel it's safer with some body roll and some tip over warning even though I never get close to that. Honda's are known at least to me to have stiff suspension, removing the sway bar helped, making it true independent rear suspension.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Some sway bar info; Keep in mind that after all the Yamaha Rhino rollover injuries and lawsuits, Yamaha finally gave owners free doors AND instructed dealers / owners to REMOVE the rear sway bar. I had removed mine years earlier because the rear IRS was not really independent because the sway bar ties them together some, removed they become fully independent giving a smoother ride over bumps. Another benefit was giving the machine some body roll in corners. Before I removed my Rhino sway bar, I went around a corner too fast and put it on it's side tearing my foot up. It happened in an instant, no warning like it was about to tip over, no body roll warning, just bang on it's side in about 2 seconds. When you have some body roll after sway bar removed, you often get a much better warning if it's about to tip over, you can feel it leaning first giving you a warning. This is why Yamaha wanted the Rhino sway bars removed. Soon after I got my P-500 I disconnected the sway bar, a smoother ride. I remember standing on the side of the 500 with the sway bar on, and tried to rock it side to side, very stiff. Sway bar off much softer rocking side to side, was a little nervous my first few rides it might be a lot more tippy, nope, still very stable, feel it's safer with some body roll and some tip over warning even though I never get close to that. Honda's are known at least to me to have stiff suspension, removing the sway bar helped, making it true independent rear suspension.

Welcome to the club Arizona and thanks for the feed back. You guys are twisting my arm...

Reactions: Arizona
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Welcome Arizona, yep you've got it figured out.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

That is a very good point about the Yamahas I remember reading something about that. I'm going to pull the bolts on mine this weekend for giggles and report back

Sent from iPhone

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That is a very good point about the Yamahas I remember reading something about that. I'm going to pull the bolts on mine this weekend for giggles and report back

Sent from iPhone
Ten minutes CP, you'll like it!!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!