P1000 Switching to M/T Truck tires, from ITP Mayhem (pics)

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
sry to hear that. kj is about 15 miles from me, alot of good things ive heard but once you add the tax to them and rocky mountain,amazon and that motox was way cheaper

Reactions: BWAF
BearWoods

BearWoods

Dec 14, 2018
East Stroudsburg, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Made some progress today in the shop. Fired up the trusty ol' wood stove and removed the mayhems.

I tried my hardest, but was unable to mount the truck tires on the wheels manually. I've done this many times before, for what ever reason the bead on the new tires is just so tight I can't mount them at home so.. it'll be off to my buddys shop as soon as possible.

Perhaps that's a good thing, one of the valve stems on my truck is leaking.. lol dang it.

DSC05850

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
they are terrible, always have mine done, especially cold. the guy i took took the mud lights too was complaining even with putting it on with a machine the bead wouldnt move till he left them on the heater for a few hours.

Reactions: BearWoods and BWAF
BearWoods

BearWoods

Dec 14, 2018
East Stroudsburg, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, I decided to upgrade my at home capabilities and I purchased a tire machine, and wheel balance machine combo off ebay.

I went for the one with the actuators on the sides in the event I run into a situation where I'm working with cold, or stubborn tires. A little assistance could be nice for safety reasons. Reviews look good on these machines and parts are readily available so with gentle use I'm hoping they last a good long time. My home garage is a dedicated fix it shop as I am a tinkerer.

As my buddy at work says "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

I bought just in time as they just raised the price by $70 due to some new tariff after my order went through.

Tire machine

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I decided to upgrade my at home capabilities and I purchased a tire machine, and wheel balance machine combo off ebay.

I went for the one with the actuators on the sides in the event I run into a situation where I'm working with cold, or stubborn tires. A little assistance could be nice for safety reasons. Reviews look good on these machines and parts are readily available so with gentle use I'm hoping they last a good long time. My home garage is a dedicated fix it shop as I am a tinkerer.

As my buddy at work says "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

I bought just in time as they just raised the price by $70 due to some new tariff after my order went through.

View attachment 99467
The rim clamp style changers are great. I have an old coats tire machine..it gets the job done but can be a little tricky on the smaller wheels

Reactions: BWAF
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

View attachment 99467
Wow! What that set u back might I ask?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Nevermind I was a bit premature asking, I found it. I guess you only live once ;)

advertisement
BearWoods

BearWoods

Dec 14, 2018
East Stroudsburg, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It was 1819 on ebay with free shipping "To a local trucking terminal" I have to pick it up at the trucking depot... no big deal. They wanted an extra $160 to deliver it to my door with a lift-gate truck.. no thanks.

Yes only live once... lol

Reactions: Plumber32
BearWoods

BearWoods

Dec 14, 2018
East Stroudsburg, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Pioneer tires 4
Pioneer tires 2 Pioneer tires1 Pioneer tires 3

Alright, the tire machine and balancer arrived. It was a fairly straight forward process to get it all set up despite not having instructions. Kinda look and see where everything goes. They packaged it well, and thanks to WARD trucking for handling it with care and not destroying it before I got it.

Updated pics of the truck tires on the Pioneer. It handles and drives 1,000% better on road and hard pack. It looks a little less aggressive but aesthetics come second to functionality. Before somebody asks, no the vette is not kept outside. I moved it to clean out the garage because the floor was covered in wood, metal, and plastic shavings from working on my prototype bed cover.

I wasn't ready to release spy shots of that project yet but I will post another thread all about that build in case anybody is interested.

All in all, I'd say this swap was well worth it. If anybody in the area needs tires done.. you know who to look for.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
sweet looking pioneer, I worked at a fleet service place for a while and they did cars, to big trucks and whatever. ive done a ton of tires and IMO its worth the 50 to have someone else have to do the tires. machine or not its a pita.
only thing I really miss is having a lift at home cars seem to be designed to only be serviced on them now. I have to do the rack for the third time in my car, takes all weekend of sloping around under the car, be a couple hour job on the lift, I just cant pay 1k they get for a 150 dollar rack. probably get a used one for a couple thousand but I never seem to be able to, got to buy crap for the house or cars,

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 101375 View attachment 101373 View attachment 101372 View attachment 101374

Alright, the tire machine and balancer arrived. It was a fairly straight forward process to get it all set up despite not having instructions. Kinda look and see where everything goes. They packaged it well, and thanks to WARD trucking for handling it with care and not destroying it before I got it.

Updated pics of the truck tires on the Pioneer. It handles and drives 1,000% better on road and hard pack. It looks a little less aggressive but aesthetics come second to functionality. Before somebody asks, no the vette is not kept outside. I moved it to clean out the garage because the floor was covered in wood, metal, and plastic shavings from working on my prototype bed cover.

I wasn't ready to release spy shots of that project yet but I will post another thread all about that build in case anybody is interested.

All in all, I'd say this swap was well worth it. If anybody in the area needs tires done.. you know who to look for.
Looks great! I agree it handles so much better on the road and hard pack.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gumby

Gumby

Mar 9, 2018
Freedom, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didnt put truck tires on my machine because they are illegal for trail riding in Wi and Mn. I'm happy with DOT radial UTV tires because they are trail legal and have a great tread for hard packed trails and pavement. The tires are Quadboss QBT846.

@ToddACimer - If you are in the market for new tires, wait a couple more months. The law with tires will be changing in legislation soon. We had a meeting on it last April and they were drafting up the new legislation toward the end of last year. The mention of "low pressure tires" will be going away.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@ToddACimer - If you are in the market for new tires, wait a couple more months. The law with tires will be changing in legislation soon. We had a meeting on it last April and they were drafting up the new legislation toward the end of last year. The mention of "low pressure tires" will be going away.

Are they going to clarify the 65" width as well. It currently says 65" to the outside of the wheel. Which to me is a difficult measurement to take since the tire bulge is outside the wheel lip. So it leaves a gray area where you could be wider (tire bulge and tread) than 65" overall but still legal

Gumby

Gumby

Mar 9, 2018
Freedom, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is 65" outside of wheel to outside of wheel. We decided on that because that's how the OEM's measure width. That rule won't change.

Gary Eddy (head of DNR Recreation Officers until last Fall) also mentioned jokingly that he doesn't have the budget to purchase tape measures and tire inflation gauges to all the Wardens, so, you know, there's that.

BearWoods

BearWoods

Dec 14, 2018
East Stroudsburg, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
sweet looking pioneer, I worked at a fleet service place for a while and they did cars, to big trucks and whatever. ive done a ton of tires and IMO its worth the 50 to have someone else have to do the tires. machine or not its a pita.

In the days of old, I lived in TX and was without a home or a job. I went down there chasing a girl that basically told me to beat it once we got there and she ran me out of money. While drag racing my Toyota Supra at the local strip, I met some fellas who were interested in my car. Through them I was introduced to the manager of a Discount Tire store on the border or US / Mexico.

The manager said to me, look I will hire you if you understand one thing. You are the only Caucasian person in this entire town. Don't expect the guys in this store to be very friendly. But if you are willing to show my guys that you can keep up the pace with them.. you will find yourself a home here - barring any altercations which I can not guarantee will not happen.

So I took the job. Each vehicle had to have all 4 tires changed in under 7 minutes. I had to fit in or Get out. They taught me the upper most limits of retail truck tire changing (because you KNOW nobody in the desert in south western Texas drives a car.)

The reason changing tires at home appeals so greatly to me, is because doing it at my own pace, in my own home, is a real treat. It's not 115 degrees, and I'm not under constant threat of cartel violence if I say or do the wrong thing to the wrong person.

True story.

P.S. The two pneumatic assist arms on this machine act like a 2nd and 3rd person. Set them, and use your foot to press the rotation pedal on the turntable. Takes about 30 seconds per side to remove, and or replace.

Just had to share that memory, sorry for the long post.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
siimilar experiance here, fix tractors, quads and cars on the side forever, just like anything with an engine. i worked on diesel generators and tractors before that and i just thought it would be cool to be able to fix things professionally. waht they dont say is in a big shop like that the guys that have been there ten years or more are the only ones allowed to fix stuff and you get the crap jobs forever there like changing truck tires in the same time and you have to check over the whole truck for anything they could charge for in 30 with an oil change or maintenance.
didnt stay there, way different being able to do stuff at your own pace and not only getting the crap jobs

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!