P700 SxS dies after 1hour of driving

T

Teena

Jul 8, 2021
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 700-4
My 2020 Pioneer 700-4 will die after driving it for 1 hour or a little longer. It will start back up and it will run about 50 yards and will die again, happens over and over. I will park it and the next day the same thing happens. I have had it looked at by the dealer’s service department. They drove it around some and it never happened with them, but they only drove it a short time. Any ideas?

Also, the other day I drove it without the seatbelt hooked up and it drove without ever dying. Today, if the seatbelt is not hooked up it will die as it should. I don’t know if this could be connected to the above mentioned problem or not. Thanks.

H

HondaTech

Fuel pump, I think their extending the 2019 update to others and haven't announced it yet.

Edit: When we run unit information, this Fuel Pump bulletin is popping up under 2020 models and now 2019 Talons as well. Before its was limited to 2019 Atvs, and Pioneers.

Last edited:
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My dealer just replaced the fuel pump in my 2019 Talon with 22,896 miles on it. I Never had a problem in all those miles but it was on the recall list. It was in the shop for installing the 4th drive shaft, I had the bearing cups spot welded so I won't have that problem again. I painted a line on the bearing cups on my 2020 Talon and carry a sawzall with a 8 inch blade incase I have a bearing cup come out when I'm way out. I can cut the driveshaft in half through the coolant drain hole in the skid plate and pull the rear section off the sub trans and drive it out in 2WD without the drive shaft banging. Got a few other problems I will get fixed in a week or two as the parts come in. I will do a report at the 23,000 mile report.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Fuel pump, I think their extending the 2019 update to others and haven't announced it yet.

Edit: When we run unit information, this Fuel Pump bulletin is popping up under 2020 models and now 2019 Talons as well. Before its was limited to 2019 Atvs, and Pioneers.
Are the motors supposedly bad or what was the deal? Are they doing the whole module?

Reactions: toddvdh and ChadD
T

Teena

Jul 8, 2021
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 700-4
My 2020 Pioneer 700-4 will die after driving it for 1 hour or a little longer. It will start back up and it will run about 50 yards and will die again, happens over and over. I will park it and the next day the same thing happens. I have had it looked at by the dealer’s service department. They drove it around some and it never happened with them, but they only drove it a short time. Any ideas?

Also, the other day I drove it without the seatbelt hooked up and it drove without ever dying. Today, if the seatbelt is not hooked up it will die as it should. I don’t know if this could be connected to the above mentioned problem or not. Thanks.
Update: took it back to dealer service department. They think it might be the electrical control unit.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Are the motors supposedly bad or what was the deal? Are they doing the whole module?
@HondaTech I found answers to the module question. I had a incident last time I was out where the machine just stalled randomly. Started right back up and never did it again, but now I'm wondering...
Kinda interested in doing this preemptively. I can only find the replacement 06160-HL3-305 from the tsb at a few places on ebay that seem kinda shady. The whole module is only $160 from RMATV, but how do I know if it is the updated unit without specifically ordering the tsb part number?

Reactions: toddvdh
MikeG

MikeG

Dec 30, 2017
Baton Rouge LA.
Ownership

1. 700-2

Buddy had a had issue and it was a clogged fuel tank vent. Try riding with the fuel cap loose.

Reactions: toddvdh and Jerryg
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yours still at the dealer?
Yes.
After 3 weeks of using it as a shop machine, hauling Trash etc, it started the stalling routine so at least they were able to reproduce the issue. That was three weeks ago. This issue started immediately after the fuel pump recall was performed, so it's likely something that occured then. That was very early 2020 IIRC.
I haven't been able to take it off my property since then due to this issue.
Total s*** show. If simply getting a refund was an option, that would be my choice.

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes.
After 3 weeks of using it as a shop machine, hauling Trash etc, it started the stalling routine so at least they were able to reproduce the issue. That was three weeks ago. This issue started immediately after the fuel pump recall was performed, so it's likely something that occured then. That was very early 2020 IIRC.
I haven't been able to take it off my property since then due to this issue.
Total s*** show. If simply getting a refund was an option, that would be my choice.
At least they got it to do it. That's a big part of the battle.

Mine was so random it would have been a long, hard diag, so I threw parts at it using a best guess. Only one ride, but it didn't do it after the new ignition switch so far...

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
i would open the gas cap right after it shuts off. You will be able to tell if the vent is clogged. Pressure will release, then it will run for another hour.

Otherwise it’s probably the fuel pump

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Has anyone found out what the problem is? Please update a riding buddy is having the same problem. Thank you
If your asking about the OP’s original question/issue? They havent been on since last august, 2 post, No intro, no pics and no return! leaves folks hanging. Why we say #POIDH.

B

Bennet

Sep 8, 2023
LA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Any updates on repairing this issue, my bike has the same issue. Please HELP!!

Reactions: osobad
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Inspect all wires. Including inside the headlight compartment with a flashlight.
Rodent chewing wires is a real thing.
What's the latest with yours?

Reactions: Backwoods

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!