ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can tie it together JUST to get you out of a hole, but a splice in the middle is going to be a point of failure. Be easier to buy a new rope for $30 and make the old one into an extension.

Reactions: Tflynn and AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not positive but I think you may want to use a synth plow cable for plowing, Instead of a synth winch cable.

I think there was an issue with the synthetic not doing well because of the sharp angle and it being run across the fairlead??

I think a synth plow cable is about $10-$30 after a quick google search

I plow with my Rancher. I figured since I already had it set up for that I would continue to use it. Plus, it's more maneuverable in the tight spots. I've been using the steel cable for it, but definitely looking into the synthetic plow rope for it.

Reactions: drfubar
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Good point! I hadn't thought about that. It wouldn't be a good thing to have a rope frozen and not be able to use it. Maybe some of the others up here will chime in and let me know if they have one and how it works for them.
Just got back from Knik. Water everywhere out there. Temps are only mid 20s, still had a big ball of ice around the winch. No problems unspooling the rope today. Going to let the machine sit on the trailer overnight and see if the rope still spools out tomorrow.

Reactions: sharp and AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got back from Knik. Water everywhere out there. Temps are only mid 20s, still had a big ball of ice around the winch. No problems unspooling the rope today. Going to let the machine sit on the trailer overnight and see if the rope still spools out tomorrow.
Thanks for the info. Pretty windy out there today?

Reactions: sharp
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking into replacing my winch cable with synthetic rope, and I'm looking for suggestions. I have the Honda/Warn OEM Provantage 4500.

For those that have done this, what is the best diameter and length that will fit on the spool?

Are there any brands to stay away from?

Any other information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
@AKRider I have the same winch. this is what I used. Amazon.com: U.S. made AMSTEEL BLUE WINCH ROPE 1/4 inch x 50 ft - MILITARY GREEN (9,200 lb strength) (4X4 VEHICLE RECOVERY): Automotive
mine was wire rope, and I switched to this amsteel. I don't have enough personal experience with it to give much of a review, but I did read good things about it when researching, and it did fit the spool perfectly.

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Amstel is lots cheaper on eBay with free shipping and lots of colors. Looks like a good winch rope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AKRider
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Let the machine sit overnight on the trailer, temperature was 10 degrees this morning.

Had to chip some ice to get to the free spool knob.

Pulled about ten feet of cable out by hand, no issues.

First 5 feet or so has a protective wrap, I think it kept that part fairly dry. The unprotected section has visible ice in the strands, but it is still flexible and you can separate the strands.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Let the machine sit overnight on the trailer, temperature was 10 degrees this morning.

First 5 feet or so has a protective wrap, I think it kept that part fairly dry. The unprotected section has visible ice in the strands, but it is still flexible and you can separate the strands.

My hat's off to folks in Alaska, I'd love to spend about a month there looking around but don't want to do it in the winter. LOL

advertisement
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That settles it! Again, thanks for taking the time to do this.

Reactions: Ridem32
Toyhauler33

Toyhauler33

Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2016
Mid Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had an amsteel synthetic rope on my toyota winch (9k) for almost ten years. It has been left in all kinds of weather and direct sunlight ever since I changed it out. I snapped the eye off retrieving myself out of a swamp and tied the hook back on it. I can still hang the toyota from a tree with it today.

Reactions: JTW and AKRider
cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Thanks for the test, it calms any fears of freeze up.

Reactions: AKRider

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!