KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
I want to start venturing out more with my P5. Looking for advice on a navigation setup for it. Starting completely from scratch here. I know many of you have tablets and use maps. I looked at a couple of setups at TO.

Do you care to share your setups? Offer advice on a tablet, apps, maps, mounts for inside the P5. Everything I currently own is Apple based. This will be used exclusively for riding so not opposed to Android for this. I am not a complete novice.. I have been using Garmin Explore for Jeep navigation wheeling on trails & county roads and mapping some on a local lake. I like that I do not need cell service to run it. Can anyone offer some advice?

@lee @The Green Goat @TripleB @JACKAL @Hondasxs @Tramguage1 ANYONE?

(@Remington .. Already did a search. Read that info. Looking for more. ;))

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I want to start venturing out more with my P5. Looking for advice on a navigation setup for it. Starting completely from scratch here. I know many of you have tablets and use maps. I looked at a couple of setups at TO.

Do you care to share your setups? Offer advice on a tablet, apps, maps, mounts for inside the P5. Everything I currently own is Apple based. This will be used exclusively for riding so not opposed to Android for this. I am not a complete novice.. I have been using Garmin Explore for Jeep navigation wheeling on trails & county roads and mapping some on a local lake. I like that I do not need cell service to run it. Can anyone offer some advice?

@lee @The Green Goat @TripleB @JACKAL @Hondasxs @Tramguage1 ANYONE?

(@Remington .. Already did a search. Read that info. Looking for more. ;))
@NTCPrezJB will make you a great deal on a tablet already set up....👍

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I use lifetime maps but knowing what I know now, I would just buy a tablet and down load the maps off of tackett creek mafia. Mike smiddy has about everything you would want for TN/KY.
He's got it built out for Backcountry Navigator now too. I use Orux since that was what I learned on with his maps, but it is nice to have a backup.

@KyGal83 I have used this Samsung in my Talon for the last couple years with no issues. I like the smaller tablet in the Talon since it is mounted to the grab handle. I use a 10.5" tablet in the P1k5 since it is mounted up on the rollbar and there's more space. Good price right now for Prime Day too if you've got Prime:

I use these for both tablets (one linked is for the smaller one):

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
He's got it built out for Backcountry Navigator now too. I use Orux since that was what I learned on with his maps, but it is nice to have a backup.

@KyGal83 I have used this Samsung in my Talon for the last couple years with no issues. I like the smaller tablet in the Talon since it is mounted to the grab handle. I use a 10.5" tablet in the P1k5 since it is mounted up on the rollbar and there's more space. Good price right now for Prime Day too if you've got Prime:

Sweet deal. Definitely the way to go IMO.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
I use lifetime maps but knowing what I know now, I would just buy a tablet and down load the maps off of tackett creek mafia. Mike smiddy has about everything you would want for TN/KY.
Thanks.. I am following the Tackett Creek Mafia also... I will see about his downloads.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

Thanks!! That is a great deal... I assume the memory on this can be expanded with an SD card, any idea?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Thanks!! That is a great deal... I assume the memory on this can be expanded with an SD card, any idea?
It can. Android 12 introduced some new security garbage that prevents you from accessing the regular filepaths these apps have used forever to store data. There is another app you download that restores that access. I believe it's listed on the TCM page as well. I'll have to go get mine out and charge it then I can add that app name.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I had one in my P500 and now in my Talon. I started with it mounted on the dash and could never see it very good due to sun so I moved to above. Then it had too much movement so I modified it to use two ram mounts and now it doesnt move at all.

Started with an Ram X-grip and then switched to the one below. Its the same that lifetime sells, just cheaper

Used two of these to the rollbar in the talon.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I started with GAIA on an iPad, its base level is a free download and Apple, Android and Windows compatible. I can see my tracks on any device once logged in (don't need internet to use it though). A friend is using Avenza and I wanted to be bilingual but I can't even get a map to show up so I gave up on that. I might have to download a map to use it but GAIA auto loads its topo when I open the app - a good thing for this #oleguy computer phobe. :cool:

The most important feature of any GPS app for me (and why I gave up on dedicated units like Garmin) is that GAIA stores my track logs permanently and doesn't seem to have any capacity limits. A dedicated GPS unit only stores a few days of tracks then they have to be uploaded to your computer if you want to keep them. That won't work for me because I go back to areas and want to ride trails I missed last time and need to know where I've already ridden (without having to download those old track logs before I leave home).

My favorite iPad screen shot, 1500 miles of southern Utah over 3 weeks - :) This would have been really difficult without tracking.
I bLPBMRn X2

What an area looks like before it’s ‘tracked’.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520

On a more serious note, I use pretty much this exact setup.

As has already been said, TCM has a fantastic free trail overlay for TN/KY that you can use (I run Orux maps for this). If that's all you plan on riding, I'd go that route to save on LifeTime Trail Maps. If you plan on venturing out into other states, LTM is also pretty good and is the same GUI as Orux so the transition is seamless.

I use the Samsung A7 as above in an OtterBox case. Its not 100% waterproof, but its pretty resistant.

I also use the RAM mount Adam posted on a medium arm, and have that mounted to the upper dash. It's not nearly as rigid as I would like and tends to flop around over bumps. I have on my To-Do list to stiffen it up somehow (doesn't every man?), but it works for now.

I also have a USB and cigarette plug wired inside of my GoochBox so the tablet can charge while riding. I run a short charging cable out of the box, and then close it up tight for waterproofing.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I also use the RAM mount Adam posted on a medium arm, and have that mounted to the upper dash. It's not nearly as rigid as I would like and tends to flop around over bumps. I have on my To-Do list to stiffen it up somehow (doesn't every man?), but it works for now.
My tab-tite sits on the edge of the grab handle, so that prevents it from going flaccid on me. I think I'll be switching.... God help me here... to the bigger RAM balls @Hometeam runs. His tablet doesn't move around anywhere near as much as mine.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
My Samsung Tab A7 10.4" (not the A7 Lite, but the A7) is mounted to the ROPS above my head using the following RAM Mounts parts (all for 1" 'B' ball ): Strap hose clamp mounted on ROPS, short arm, round plate attached to the backside of a Tab-Tite Holder for 9"-10.5" tablets w/heavy duty cases. The case I use on the tablet (it fits in that RAM tablet mount with this heavy-duty case on it) is the SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Pro Series Case for Galaxy Tab A7 10.4" tablet (2020 release)).

Pics from my install in my build thread are in this post here, including running a dual USB 3.0 charge port to the back of the tablet case so is was always at 100%.

I actually have 4 or 5 different GPS programs installed and use several of them.

For Michigan trails, I use Orux (free version, not paid) with the maps from vvmapping.com (he is Michigan based). $40 one time.

For TN, I did pop for Lifetime Trail Maps, but vvmapping also has trail maps for KY, OH, TN, VA, SC and NC all for $40 one time.

I have onX Offroad, Gaia GPS, and a few others installed, but haven't used them much.

I love the non-proprietary nature of buying good tablet with a good GPS chip (translation: Samsung) and being able install and try out all the different GPS programs you want until you find what suits you best.

Last edited:
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
My tab-tite sits on the edge of the grab handle, so that prevents it from going flaccid on me. I think I'll be switching.... God help me here... to the bigger RAM balls @Hometeam runs. His tablet doesn't move around anywhere near as much as mine.

I’m sorry could you repeat that?? Did you say something like ‘Hometeam was RIGHT and you want to have bigger balls like Hometeam has”?? And then you threw some gay shizle in about Raming. I’m confused and a little offended!!😆🤣😂

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

Ummm… @Adam490 …. What are you and @Hometeam doing in the woods with these “mounts”? 🤔 Is this something @TripleB suggested?

IMG 2430

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Samsung Tab A....something or other. About 8" screen, Orux app using VVMapping. For your area VV is OK but there's better options available

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!