Takeover - any major breakdowns?

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So it looks like everyone had a great time and I was bummed I had to miss it this year. My question - after a long weekend of hard riding - what broke? Any machines go down for the count? I am hoping that nobody got their trip cut short but hey they are machines that get rode hard..

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't recall a single Pioneer being terminally ill going home.
I think the biggest issue was the gent on portals with steering issues.
@knuckledeep threw it on his flatbed and hauled him down the mountain.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So it looks like everyone had a great time and I was bummed I had to miss it this year. My question - after a long weekend of hard riding - what broke? Any machines go down for the count? I am hoping that nobody got their trip cut short but hey they are machines that get rode hard..
If your wondering if any clutches that people on here freak out about failed, there hasn't been any that I've herd of.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Everyone that I talked to really liked the clutch update. Mine is in line at my dealer to get done when they have parts onsite. I also didn't hear of any clutch complaints. No heat complaints either!

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Everyone that I talked to really liked the clutch update. Mine is in line at my dealer to get done when they have parts onsite. I also didn't hear of any clutch complaints. No heat complaints either!

Pretty sure @Ragnar406 was complaining about the heat on thursday... he said there is no more heat and he was cold and that BS! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
3 or 4 axles, Few tie rods, few flats, one stripped bolt on the control arm.
Parts on hand, back on the trail within a few hours.
Only the 1000 on portals had to be towed back, and that was just a $2 bolt that stripped out.

The biggest issue seemed to be overheating.
A pump like this cured that - https://amzn.to/2HWabkK

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pretty sure @Ragnar406 was complaining about the heat on thursday... he said there is no more heat and he was cold and that BS! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was complaining - Thursday was chilly and the new Cabin comfort kit was preventing my normal heat from working :mad:

In all seriousness the comfort kit surprised me how well it worked. Does it completely eliminate heat - no but it drastically reduced it - I still kept my other insulated panel out of the machine all weekend and it did warm up after Thursday. We went through a lot of water and it basically eliminated the steam - there were a few times I felt a touch but nothing like previous. Figure I'll put the other cover on when summer gets here. - Lets face it when it is in the 90's your going to be hot, no matter what.

I literally put 6 miles on my Pioneer after getting the clutch update and takeover. I am impressed with the feel of the machine now. It is hard to describe but felt more solid and smoother. Put 180-200 miles on at takeover and it performed great.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would never have tried a hill like WidowMaker without the clutch update.

I was able to change my driving style completely after the update to where I would actually let it slip for a moment so the machine wasn’t lurching. As off camber and with all the rocks upsetting the suspension and balance on a hill like that lurching to get the clutch engaged would have been dangerous.

It works really well around house when I moving a trailer or spraying poison. I can start off smoothly and not tear up my yard.

I haven’t even gotten the coolant temp past 2 bars so I know the clutch isn’t getting too hot and transferring that heat to the coolant.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I seen them come rolling in to camp !
I noticed @knuckledeep helping a lot of people, including me and the wifey poo. My hats off to him. He taught me a lot just from this one trip. He was the 'go to' guy i noticed. Very calm, patient, and a nice guy. Willing to help anybody. Thanks again @knuckledeep !!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Then again CP did not make it this year..
I’ve never been towed in.
I rode pretty much as hard as I would’ve that weekend. Bent my bumper in was all. Sounds like there was enough carnage to make up for me.

crazychris

crazychris

Oct 26, 2017
redfeild arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was complaining - Thursday was chilly and the new Cabin comfort kit was preventing my normal heat from working :mad:

In all seriousness the comfort kit surprised me how well it worked. Does it completely eliminate heat - no but it drastically reduced it - I still kept my other insulated panel out of the machine all weekend and it did warm up after Thursday. We went through a lot of water and it basically eliminated the steam - there were a few times I felt a touch but nothing like previous. Figure I'll put the other cover on when summer gets here. - Lets face it when it is in the 90's your going to be hot, no matter what.

I literally put 6 miles on my Pioneer after getting the clutch update and takeover. I am impressed with the feel of the machine now. It is hard to describe but felt more solid and smoother. Put 180-200 miles on at takeover and it performed great.
mine hopefully will be going in for the clutch update soon and the cabin heat deal as well. want to get it done before summer gets here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heck with that update. Still happy with my original (that officially turned 4k miles on trail 10). Had minor shifter cable trouble and didn't have low range for little bit. That metal tube on the subtrans end came loose. I shoved it back in there and pinched it with vise grips. Worked the rest of takeover.

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
From listening to all of ya'll...sounds like upgraded skid plates are more needed than I thought...

When I went to RRB in september I thought " I don't need new skids I'll just be really careful " Well I was really careful and still beat stuff up. So now I have a full one piece UHMW skid. Best thing I ever bought!

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
Broken u-joint on the rear drive shaft. First time I've been towed out of the woods. Hurt my pride just a bit...

53961 20180428 090834

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!