BOX1

Takeover Radio Review.

Pioneerlife

Pioneerlife

Mar 15, 2017
Bremen,al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After going to the takeover at RRB, I realized that having a radio would be a great "neccassity" (check spelling lol) to have. I just read all the pre-takeover radio talk and was wondering if I could get some feed back. How did your radio do while at the takeover? Im curious with its range due to mtns, hills, n hollers. All of this is helping me make a little better decision on what excatly to buy. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Mudder and sharp
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am still learning myself about these. They are great and fairly cheap.
Anyways,
Communication between leader and the tail is most important, making radios a priceless tool.
We tend to stick to FRS or GMRS frequencies as we qualify to use them under the licenses restrictions, currently.

There is so much info on this topic. The most useful info might not be discussed because you need a "ham Licenses" to use it legally. Many of use may or may not been using them in this area will call the "unknown".

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Having to have ham liscense is a deal breaker for me. Im leaning more towards a two way set up. But didnt know how well the range was in the mtns, hills, and hollers. Does a CB radio use the same frequency's as two way's? If so I'd be interested in possibly putting in a cb.

CB is a narrow set of frequencies around 27mhz, HAM licenses encompass a WIDE range of frequencies in ranges from @135khz all the way up over 300ghz, technically if you had the correct "HAM" radio you could talk to CB radios.

A mobile "HAM" will be better than any CB simply because of the output power and frequencies ability to penetrate foliage vs a CB radio.

Reactions: JACKAL and sharp
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I know this year I was able to communicate with @nbomar at RRB campground and I was just leaving Top of the world with a group. We both have the radio that @JTW linked too above.
We have tried the handhelds and they work very good for small groups, but when you need long distances the higher wattage radios work better.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@JTW Looking to get a radio, still recommend this one? Is a aux speaker needed in the sxs?

Yes this is the setup to have. When I get home I pressure wash the entire rig... radio and all. No issues whatsoever. I would say an aux speaker makes a big difference. I got a $6 one from radio shack. It’s ok but I would like something better. @Ragnar406 or @ohanacreek and advice on a good aux speaker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Yes this is the setup to have. When I get home I pressure wash the entire rig... radio and all. No issues whatsoever. I would say an aux speaker makes a big difference. I got a $6 one from radio shack. It’s ok but I would like something better. @Ragnar406 or @ohanacreek and advice on a good aux speaker?

Good to know OK when washing rig. So does it need to be programmed? Need pc cable? Other antenna? So many pages of post to sort thru. Seems like mobile unit a bit better than handheld, powered from sxs.

Reactions: sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been looking myself it's seems you get what you pay for.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Found the antenna, cable and mount kit also, free shipping on all. Thanks for feedback. Now just can’t wait for next takeover. Cost of attending the takeover much less than the shopping bug after.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Honestly I would start by stopping at a truck stop and looking at a CB external speaker. All their audio is not much better but you can place it where you want it to get closer to your ear

Reactions: ohanacreek
J

JTW

@JTW Looking to get a radio, still recommend this one? Is a aux speaker needed in the sxs?
Mine still works fine... I can’t say I had ANY issue hearing mine. Placement will be important but I never even turned mine all the way up. You can see where I put mine. I like it! E33B6CFB 007C 42E4 8EB7 50C2F1EC37C2A87B74B0 D095 4BEA 89F5 900B50B4B49D

Reactions: sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine still works fine... I can’t say I had ANY issue hearing mine. Placement will be important but I never even turned mine all the way up. You can see where I put mine. I like it! View attachment 76603View attachment 76604
I have the same one. I had to replace the mic this week, for some reason every time I would press any number to program a frequency all of them would be 5. Replace mic is $25

Reactions: JTW and Tramguage1
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Good to know OK when washing rig. So does it need to be programmed? Need pc cable? Other antenna? So many pages of post to sort thru. Seems like mobile unit a bit better than handheld, powered from sxs.
Yes get the programming cable with the radio. If you have that we already have the radio frequencies in a file you can upload.

Reactions: JTW and Pioneerlife
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Got mine from @BetnerComms and was great. Comes pre programmed ready to use. Have used it on multiple rides now and im very happy with the purchase.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
magnetic on front bumper behind bar is were my is placed it has only jostles loose once since I placed it there the radio I chose seemed to work well it was the btech x50.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m using the magnetic one as well... and I’ll be carrying an extra magnetic and the non magnetic too, in case someone loses theirs... like what happened at Mulberry, right @nbomar?? :confused::D

I’ve lost a few now. Mine is mounted upside down like @Ragnar406 now.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!