Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Maybe @JACKAL can shed more light on this.

@JACKAL

There has been a rash of Commercial Vehicle accidents right around exit 141 on I75 over past few months. Now State Police have a daily presence in this area issuing citations daily to big trucks violating restricted lane usage from MM 134 to 141. As such the primary crossing to west side trails in Royal Blue is going under I75 at exit 141 which is legal, but you must wear a helmet when on the roadways only.

State Police Commander put out an FYI to local OHV club that troopers will be giving extra attention to violations of no helmets on the roads. It didn't help some drunk idiot's raced at 80mph+ down I75 from exit 144 at Royal Blue to exit 141 to Eagle Rock campgrounds just 2 weeks ago. This drew a crapload of unwanted attention to the off road riders who have been traditionally left alone.

FYI we did identify who those dumbasses were from campground video surveillance both leaving Ride Royal Blue and entering Eagle Rock Campground.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Any recommended helmets (brands, styles) to look at? I have been needing to get one anyway
The only legal requirement for TN is that the helmet is DOT certified, no other certifications or restrictions required. I've seen some that rival bicycle helmets in design that are legal, light, and not too hot for summer use.

Such as these:
Screenshot 20190420 085248 Chrome

Last edited:
Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There has been a rash of Commercial Vehicle accidents right around exit 141 on I75 over past few months. Now State Police have a daily presence in this area issuing citations daily to big trucks violating restricted lane usage from MM 134 to 141. As such the primary crossing to west side trails in Royal Blue is going under I75 at exit 141 which is legal, but you must wear a helmet when on the roadways only.

State Police Commander put out an FYI to local OHV club that troopers will be giving extra attention to violations of no helmets on the roads. It didn't help some drunk idiot's raced at 80mph+ down I75 from exit 144 at Royal Blue to exit 141 to Eagle Rock campgrounds just 2 weeks ago. This drew a crapload of unwanted attention to the off road riders who have been traditionally left alone.

FYI we did identify who those dumbasses were from campground video surveillance both leaving Ride Royal Blue and entering Eagle Rock Campground.

Are they picky about the helmets or can my kids just wear a bicycle helmet?

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We will have ours, but I'm curious how they would respond to ours being street legal with passenger plates in Ohio? Watching the Facebook conversations it also appears that an enclosed vehicle is treated differently. Putting the helmet on for the pavement is certainly easier than arguing for this trip.
I believe you went thru the same process I did.
Ohio now views our machines as unconventional vehicles. aka Mini-trucks and farm vehicles. I don't want to push the issue with the locals and have to explain reciprocity to them. In my mind, they are no different than a car now.

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe you went thru the same process I did.
Ohio now views our machines as unconventional vehicles. aka Mini-trucks and farm vehicles. I don't want to push the issue with the locals and have to explain reciprocity to them. In my mind, they are no different than a car now.

You are correct. If they run VIN it's utv. If they run the tag or look at registration, it says passenger vehicle. I don't have DOT tires.

I agree with keeping it simple, so I tossed out skateboard helmets in a net behind our heads to put on whenever we hit pavement.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!