Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So what is the recommendation from all you TN boys? Worry about helmets? Mine is has street plates like a Honda civic. Do I argue with the officer if I am stopped and explain reciprocity to him?

State Troopers have been told to issue tickets if you are on the roads without a helmet on. Local cops don’t even look as long as you are not on state Highways or Interstate.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm from MS we don't like rules. I will have bicycle helmets on when we are on the street and kids will have them on all the time. But thats as close as we will get. Will bring kids goggles and glasses. Hope they can just use glasses on the trail and goggles on the street. BUT we want be doing anything stupid and will be 100% as safe as we can 100% of the time. As others have said a guy can be on a motorcycle and not have anything. If I get a ticket thats the chance I took can't blame him for doing his job. My comfort is worth the risk.
According to state, impact resistant glasses can be used in leu of a helmet.

Reactions: rtn001 and sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We’ve got a Tennessee state trooper captain over here that presses the issue. You could maybe win in court but at what cost?
Oh I hear ya man. See my comment about trooper we have here. Even if youre 100% by the book, he would still write you a ticket. And chances are, local judge would side with him. Not worth it. I got no problem being nice to that prick instead of a 300 dollar ticket

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
My understanding is the ticket is $265. Some folks have gotten out of the fine in court but then pay court costs of $250. This information is 3rd hand but seems to be in line with what others I know have heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

Steven

Dec 10, 2015
Recent word is that troupers are targeting people on the roads that do not have helmets on.
Though the TWRA does not require one for the trails, riding on the road does.
So, if you plan to ride on any road I have 2 suggestions.
  1. Wear your helmet.
  2. Press the skinny pedal.
This includes crossing under I75 at the truck stop and between RRB and T13 trailhead or anywhere it is legal to ride on the road.

Fine is said to be in the $250 range.

I will have my helmet. I hope you will too!

S

SLP82

Oct 22, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Recent word is that troupers are targeting people on the roads that do not have helmets on.
Though the TWRA does not require one for the trails, riding on the road does.
So, if you plan to ride on any road I have 2 suggestions.
  1. Wear your helmet.
  2. Press the skinny pedal.
This includes crossing under I75 at the truck stop and between RRB and T13 trailhead or anywhere it is legal to ride on the road.

Fine is said to be in the $250 range.

I will have my helmet. I hope you will too!

Trooper trouper

N

Neckisred

Jul 14, 2017
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are street legal in Tennessee, make sure you have the correct tag for the roads you ride on.

Reactions: sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ive wondered they same thing. I figured if its a state issued tag than it should be legal in the whole state. My tag is a class 2 and the class 1 and 2 are new and tags have been avalible since March 2016. I didnt see anything about a helmet just shatter proof glasses if no windshield. I think the medium speed tag requires a helmet if no windshield but that dont matter for a P1000 since they are not considered in the medium speed catagory.

The helmet thing is a part of the legislation that became effective 7/1/17 which specified the sections of roadways approved for OHV use around RRB / Brimstone / Windrock connecting the trail systems and local businesses for food, fuel, and lodging. Wearing the helmets was a condition of being legally on those public highways on an OHV.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The helmet thing is a part of the legislation that became effective 7/1/17 which specified the sections of roadways approved for OHV use around RRB / Brimstone / Windrock connecting the trail systems and local businesses for food, fuel, and lodging. Wearing the helmets was a condition of being legally on those public highways on an OHV.

And I believe the rules under that regulation trump the rules for road legal licensed UTVs in TN if you are on the specified roadways from that legislation.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
My understanding is the ticket is $265. Some folks have gotten out of the fine in court but then pay court costs of $250. This information is 3rd hand but seems to be in line with what others I know have heard.

Sounds about right, courts don't care if you're innocent or guilty, and will gladly let you buy your way out of most traffic violations via court costs for "supervision" It's about the almighty dollar not who is right or wrong.

C

cisco1

Jul 13, 2016
ILL.
To the op.
I would like know where the "Troopers" are ticketing.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
To the op.
I would like know where the "Troopers" are ticketing.
The most congested spots are I75 exit 141crossing under, I75 exit 134 west side near Shoneys, and I75 exit 128 crossing under. That's because they patrol the interstate and that's where the OHV legal roadways intersect with thier routine patrols. Simply a matter of logistics, the aren't looking for people, but if they run across you without a helmet very likely you will get warned at a minimum.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
what exit is the one where Comfort Inn is? The only roads I can remember being on last time were:

-road from Comfort Inn to trail 10/12 by Shell gas station
-main road that went down to the cut off road to eternal flame
-road past adult store to go to that rock overlook Jackal took us too

Is there a lot more I'm not thinking of?

Reactions: Zax185 and sharp
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
what exit is the one where Comfort Inn is? The only roads I can remember being on last time were:

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand

many more

Reactions: sharp and JACKAL
elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
If you get over near Windrock or Lake City, 116

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!