Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wife was reading something about this on one of the Windrock facebook groups. We are tagged and "street legal" in Tennessee, but may throw a couple extra helmets in the back just to avoid any trouble. We ride daily thru our town without helmets and the THP or local cops never bat an eye.
Individual counties have final say over whats legal or not. Whats legal in one county doesnt mean its good across the state

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Individual counties have final say over whats legal or not. Whats legal in one county doesnt mean its good across the state
Ive wondered they same thing. I figured if its a state issued tag than it should be legal in the whole state. My tag is a class 2 and the class 1 and 2 are new and tags have been avalible since March 2016. I didnt see anything about a helmet just shatter proof glasses if no windshield. I think the medium speed tag requires a helmet if no windshield but that dont matter for a P1000 since they are not considered in the medium speed catagory.

Reactions: rtn001 and JTW
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ive wondered they same thing. I figured if its a state issued tag than it should be legal in the whole state. My tag is a class 2 and the class 1 and 2 are new and tags have been avalible since March 2016. I didnt see anything about a helmet just shatter proof glasses if no windshield. I think the medium speed tag requires a helmet if no windshield but that dont matter for a P1000 since they are not considered in the medium speed catagory.
What I stated applies to medium speed only. Its on bottom of affildavit that had to be signed.

Reactions: rtn001 and sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What I stated applies to medium speed only. Its on bottom of affildavit that had to be signed.
I gotcha. The medium speed tag is the wrong tag for the P1k. I had one then changed. Shows how much the DMV knows or cares. Lol

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think if they issue you a ticket. And you are from out of state. No matter what you're not gonna come back from wherever you're from to fight the ticket.
The town knows how much they benefit from having the trails right in their own back yard. Im guessing that you would have to do something stupid like donuts, burn out drag racing down the interstate etc, to get a ticket. I doubt that they will set up anykind of road block or check points but if they did by law they would have to put it in the news paper before as a warning.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm with you if the group is obeying the law and not doing something stupid. I dont think they will bother you. In the past our groups have been well behaved and well organized.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So what is the recommendation from all you TN boys? Worry about helmets? Mine is has street plates like a Honda civic. Do I argue with the officer if I am stopped and explain reciprocity to him?

Reactions: Delton and sharp
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm going to have a helmet for each person in my machines. In the past explains the law to an officer on the side of the road hasn't worked out well.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
20190423 151540
20190423 151505

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So what is the recommendation from all you TN boys? Worry about helmets? Mine is has street plates like a Honda civic. Do I argue with the officer if I am stopped and explain reciprocity to him?
State troopers in my area mistake explanations as arguments. One in particular hates seeing sxs's on the street. He has followed me several times. I take like 10 sidestreets to avoid a stretch of 45mph road to get to Sonic for a cheese coney lol.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
State troopers in my area mistake explanations as arguments. One in particular hates seeing sxs's on the street. He has followed me several times. I take like 10 sidestreets to avoid a stretch of 45mph road to get to Sonic for a cheese coney lol.

His opinion is not the law, if its legal its legal. Needs to check his opinion in his locker room.
Too many nanny laws as it is, can't legislate morality or common sense.

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm from MS we don't like rules. I will have bicycle helmets on when we are on the street and kids will have them on all the time. But thats as close as we will get. Will bring kids goggles and glasses. Hope they can just use glasses on the trail and goggles on the street. BUT we want be doing anything stupid and will be 100% as safe as we can 100% of the time. As others have said a guy can be on a motorcycle and not have anything. If I get a ticket thats the chance I took can't blame him for doing his job. My comfort is worth the risk.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!