P500 Taking possession of my 520 tomorrow, next step is a winch and plow/bucket. Advice?

duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi all.

I'm on the verge of renting a large enough trailer and picking up my new 520 tomorrow. What I always wanted to do on my old 200 Yamaha Kodiak 400 was get a plow bucket attachment to move earth and stone around my cottage property, occasionally push some snow, but moving dirt is my priority here.

I know WARN makes a 50" bucket conversion kit (https://www.amazon.ca/85133-ProVantage-60-Inch-Bucket-Conversion/dp/B0041CG6BA?th=1) which would be great, but I have no clue what to buy and install leading up to the bucket itself. Do I need the full plow kit, then get the conversion kit? Or can I just get the harness and the bucket? The WARN website is not helpful at all.

Are there any other bucket kits that work with the 520?

In addition I just generally need a winch, and I'll need it for the bucket. I was considering ordering it from Honda at my 1st 150kms service, but there are lots of options, and I don't know if a lower/higher mounted winch works better for a plow/bucket mount.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi all.

I'm on the verge of renting a large enough trailer and picking up my new 520 tomorrow. What I always wanted to do on my old 200 Yamaha Kodiak 400 was get a plow bucket attachment to move earth and stone around my cottage property, occasionally push some snow, but moving dirt is my priority here.

I know WARN makes a 50" bucket conversion kit (https://www.amazon.ca/85133-ProVantage-60-Inch-Bucket-Conversion/dp/B0041CG6BA?th=1) which would be great, but I have no clue what to buy and install leading up to the bucket itself. Do I need the full plow kit, then get the conversion kit? Or can I just get the harness and the bucket? The WARN website is not helpful at all.

Are there any other bucket kits that work with the 520?

In addition I just generally need a winch, and I'll need it for the bucket. I was considering ordering it from Honda at my 1st 150kms service, but there are lots of options, and I don't know if a lower/higher mounted winch works better for a plow/bucket mount.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
WELCOME from NW Arkansas!

duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Pics will be forth coming! Thanks for the well wishes.

@trigger: When you say KFI high winch mount, do you mean this one? Honda Pioneer 500 Winch Mount - KFI ATV Winch, Mounts and Accessories

And I mount the winch on top of the plate instead of underneath it?

I finally found the WARN page that lists all the Honda compatible mount kits: Honda Winch Mounts, Plow Mounts, and Bumpers | WARN Industries

The Pioneer 520 2021:
- Winch mount: Winch Mount for Honda Pioneer 500 - 93720
- Plow mount: Warn Industries- Powersport 93730 Snow Plow Mount
- Winch: VRX 35-S Powersport Winch - 101030

From amazon.ca that would be about $1000 for the mounting kit and winch. Then another $450 for the 54" plow blade and another $500 for the 54" bucket kit.

From partsengine.ca its cheaper, about $900. The 54" plow blade is $400, the 54" bucket is another $400. There's a 10% coupon and free shipping. Without the bucket kit it's $1356 tax in. $1769 with the bucket kit. You really have to fight the out of date make/model selection to get the actual part numbers in the cart though!!

The bucket conversion requires a plow blade. So I could get it later. I'd like to get some dirt delivered and move it around with the bucket though.

I have until Friday before the coupon expires to decide if I want to order it just yet.

Do you think I would need anything extra or will the WARN parts all come with everything? e.g. does the winch have all the electrical wiring needed?

Last edited:
duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Also for the WARN VRX35, where do you mount the in/out switch? I see it's a thumb toggle with a handlebar switch mount. On the P520 there are no handle bars. The VRX45 and AXON switches are dash mounted.

Reactions: Rayger143
Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
I just replaced my winch mount from a homebrew to a KFI type mount... same design but not a KFI brand. It's easy to install and works well. Just decide if you may want a full front bumper instead of the original so you can mount that first.

I have the warn 54 inch blade, too, with provantage mount. I might go up to 60 inch but not sure yet since I haven't used the 54 yet. Thanks for mentioning the bucket conversation, didn't know they had that.

The previous owner of my unit mounted the thumb switch between the seats on the front edge of the seat platform. Seems to be as good a place as any.

Lastly, it was suggested to me to get a plow fairlead, which has a larger bottom roller to reduce wear on the cable or synth rope. With the plow blade attachment the cable takes a lot of abuse at the fairlead.

duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
There's this WARN electric plow lift accessory: Electric Plow Lift - 84600

Removes the need for the winch, but I can't find any manual that explains the install, wiring, or operation.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Pics will be forth coming! Thanks for the well wishes.

@trigger: When you say KFI high winch mount, do you mean this one? Honda Pioneer 500 Winch Mount - KFI ATV Winch, Mounts and Accessories

And I mount the winch on top of the plate instead of underneath it?

I finally found the WARN page that lists all the Honda compatible mount kits: Honda Winch Mounts, Plow Mounts, and Bumpers | WARN Industries

The Pioneer 520 2021:
- Winch mount: Winch Mount for Honda Pioneer 500 - 93720
- Plow mount: Warn Industries- Powersport 93730 Snow Plow Mount
- Winch: VRX 35-S Powersport Winch - 101030

From amazon.ca that would be about $1000 for the mounting kit and winch. Then another $450 for the 54" plow blade and another $500 for the 54" bucket kit.

From partsengine.ca its cheaper, about $900. The 54" plow blade is $400, the 54" bucket is another $400. There's a 10% coupon and free shipping. Without the bucket kit it's $1356 tax in. $1769 with the bucket kit. You really have to fight the out of date make/model selection to get the actual part numbers in the cart though!!

The bucket conversion requires a plow blade. So I could get it later. I'd like to get some dirt delivered and move it around with the bucket though.

I have until Friday before the coupon expires to decide if I want to order it just yet.

Do you think I would need anything extra or will the WARN parts all come with everything? e.g. does the winch have all the electrical wiring needed?
That KFI high mount is the one Trigger endorsed.I give it a thumbs up as well.Congrats on your new machine!

duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok found this "review" of the plow lift on Vimeo:

There's this owner video who barely comments on it:

Supposedly it comes with everything including a rocker switch like the winch. The nice thing about buying this over the winch for plow specifically is it's comparatively low AMPs (so you won't drain your battery as fast using it without running the engine) but I've read in the Amazon reviews that it doesn't hold well and when you lift, the blade will sag slowly. Not super great for a bucket full of dirt or gravel.

duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Brought my P520 home last night. Some neighbours came over to check it out. One thing I noticed is the front right wheel is a bit toe out while the left is perfectly straight. I'm going to adjust it to align both wheels. There's only 2 kms on it and there's no evidence of damage. I'm not sure if its supposed to line up this way. I intend to call the dealership and inquire but I don't have time to bring it back for an adjustment. The steering arm is right there, as is the adjustment bolt.

I'll post pics after this weekend up at the cottage. Might as well get some scenery in.

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
The video of that power lift shows it's rather slow compared to a winch. Also keep in mind that the winch won't draw full current under the load of just the blade, so that advantage of the power lift may not be as big of an advantage as one might think.

I already had a winch, so didn't need the power lift, but based on that video and what I've seen using my winch with the blade, I'd prefer the winch.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Consider the Strongmade bumper, mount winch (at least a 3500 lb) on top, seems higher is better for plowing. Bumper is strong for woods riding.
C5A5888E E43A 44BE 9008 1DF2F0247DA8

duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok, WARN finally go back to me. I had to write and ask if they were even monitoring their support inbox. WTF is WARN doing? Their part list is a nightmare:

1. 93720 - winch mount
2. 93730 - plow mount kit
3. 101030 - VRX winch
4. 92100 - plow base
5. 78954 - 54" snow plow
5. 83133 - 54" bucket kit
6. 99897 - dash rocker mount (answers by earlier question)

That's $2013, not including tax and of course I missed my 10% discount window because I waited in WARN to reply, which was smart in retrospect.

I'll just focus on a rear backup camera and side mirrors for now. Once I hit an inevitable sale I'll order the rest.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Ok, WARN finally go back to me. I had to write and ask if they were even monitoring their support inbox. WTF is WARN doing? Their part list is a nightmare:

1. 93720 - winch mount
2. 93730 - plow mount kit
3. 101030 - VRX winch
4. 92100 - plow base
5. 78954 - 54" snow plow
5. 83133 - 54" bucket kit
6. 99897 - dash rocker mount (answers by earlier question)

That's $2013, not including tax and of course I missed my 10% discount window because I waited in WARN to reply, which was smart in retrospect.

I'll just focus on a rear backup camera and side mirrors for now. Once I hit an inevitable sale I'll order the rest.

Two grand and coming away with a 54" blade? That'll have you driving in snow when you're angled. That machine will handle a 66" all day, might bump it up to $2500 though for a Warn, lol. Also puts your winch down low and in the crap if you're in a mudhole. Warn makes good stuff but due to their prices and the set up they put together for this machine is what pushed me to the KFI. Up high winch mount, 3500 lb synthetic winch, plow mount that can be left on all year, push tubes, 66" steel blade, dash rocker and wired remote for a grand. Been using it for 6 yrs and only had to replace the rope once.

PJ1

PJ1

FIREBALL P-500
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2020
Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 500
Two grand and coming away with a 54" blade? That'll have you driving in snow when you're angled. That machine will handle a 66" all day, might bump it up to $2500 though for a Warn, lol. Also puts your winch down low and in the crap if you're in a mudhole. Warn makes good stuff but due to their prices and the set up they put together for this machine is what pushed me to the KFI. Up high winch mount, 3500 lb synthetic winch, plow mount that can be left on all year, push tubes, 66" steel blade, dash rocker and wired remote for a grand. Been using it for 6 yrs and only had to replace the rope once.
What Trigger said. I got the warn and I hate the under plow mount cuz I cant install a skid with the mount in place without cutting it up. Also a pia to connect the plow underneath laying on the ground. I made the mistake of buying before checking here.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!