P500 Taking possession of my 520 tomorrow, next step is a winch and plow/bucket. Advice?

duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Two grand and coming away with a 54" blade? That'll have you driving in snow when you're angled. That machine will handle a 66" all day, might bump it up to $2500 though for a Warn, lol. Also puts your winch down low and in the crap if you're in a mudhole. Warn makes good stuff but due to their prices and the set up they put together for this machine is what pushed me to the KFI. Up high winch mount, 3500 lb synthetic winch, plow mount that can be left on all year, push tubes, 66" steel blade, dash rocker and wired remote for a grand. Been using it for 6 yrs and only had to replace the rope once.
So what’s your build then? My biggest problem is finding something that’ll fit for a reasonable price. I’m also trying to get to a bucket setup to move lots of soil. Thanks.

duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What Trigger said. I got the warn and I hate the under plow mount cuz I cant install a skid with the mount in place without cutting it up. Also a pia to connect the plow underneath laying on the ground. I made the mistake of buying before checking here.
I don’t believe the WARN setup requires me to get underneath to disconnect it. The videos I’ve watched are all front mount with disconnect pins. If that’s you’re experience it’s not what I was hoping for.

Reactions: PJ1
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Might be out of the question, but I'd be looking for a used compact utility tractor with front loader, a lot more capable, versatile, and heavy duty than a loader on a sxs. The number of implements available for small tractors is nearly limitless.

Reactions: trigger and PJ1
duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Might be out of the question, but I'd be looking for a used compact utility tractor with front loader, a lot more capable, versatile, and heavy duty than a loader on a sxs. The number of implements available for small tractors is nearly limitless.
I don’t have the space for another vehicle nor the desire to maintain it, and a compact tractor is another $15k used. I was just hoping to be able to landscape a dump truck of dirt without needing to rent a bobcat. The P5’s primary job is hauling and getting up/down my cottage hill.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t have the space for another vehicle nor the desire to maintain it, and a compact tractor is another $15k used. I was just hoping to be able to landscape a dump truck of dirt without needing to rent a bobcat. The P5’s primary job is hauling and getting up/down my cottage hill.
Rent the bobcat. It’s a far better tool for the dirt moving job. Just one man’s opinion though.

duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I hear you and I’m not arguing, it’s just that I mainly do all my landscaping and construction work myself and having a tool that I can use whenever I need it is why I bought my old atv and now the P5. Renting is fine if I have a special job to do (like you suggest, for moving a dump truck of soil over a weekend) but I’ll have like a dozen uses and opportunities to use something like this. Even using it to move brush or some gravel will be a back and time saver.

Like I said, I’m not arguing so much as pushing until I explorer all options. So far there’s the bucket conversion from WARN, I know there are other options out there but like all power sports accessories, it’s impossible to tell what will fit or work until you take a chance.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Hi all.

I'm on the verge of renting a large enough trailer and picking up my new 520 tomorrow. What I always wanted to do on my old 200 Yamaha Kodiak 400 was get a plow bucket attachment to move earth and stone around my cottage property, occasionally push some snow, but moving dirt is my priority here.

I know WARN makes a 50" bucket conversion kit (https://www.amazon.ca/85133-ProVantage-60-Inch-Bucket-Conversion/dp/B0041CG6BA?th=1) which would be great, but I have no clue what to buy and install leading up to the bucket itself. Do I need the full plow kit, then get the conversion kit? Or can I just get the harness and the bucket? The WARN website is not helpful at all.

Are there any other bucket kits that work with the 520?

In addition I just generally need a winch, and I'll need it for the bucket. I was considering ordering it from Honda at my 1st 150kms service, but there are lots of options, and I don't know if a lower/higher mounted winch works better for a plow/bucket mount.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Personally, I would avoid pushing dirt/ground engaging work with a Pioneer 520 and rent a skid steer or tractor to knock out that task. I would have no problem using a P520 to push snow!

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think there are some risks with using your sxs for a loader. Any significant weight is cantilevered out in front which may weigh heavily on the front suspension. With a real front loader, the bucket is often filled by driving in then lifting and tilting the bucket back as it's lifting. The sxs loader can't do that due to the severely limited range of motion. Simply driving into the load may involve abrupt stopping, subjecting components to is no problem with a compact utility tractor, but the lift mounts on an sxs are in no way comparable to those on the CUT. That, and the wear and tear on the tranny and clutches may well be an issue. Just my opinion, and worth perhaps less than what it costs.

PJ1

PJ1

FIREBALL P-500
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2020
Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 500
I don’t believe the WARN setup requires me to get underneath to disconnect it. The videos I’ve watched are all front mount with disconnect pins. If that’s you’re experience it’s not what I was hoping for.
To clarify, I have the warn winch low mount. The plow setup is Moose.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!