CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
You example isn't quite accurate. From the pics I saw of your Talon you have the thing loaded down to the max and have a ton of weight up high on the chassis, ie 2nd spare tire/wheel. What you describe above is the result of an unbalanced setup, not a sway bar or shock tuning issue.

No offense, but unless you are using the talon for 100% rock crawling purposes riding around with the sway bar disconnected is kinda dumb. Especially with the amount of weight you are carrying up high on the chassis.

Want it to handle and ride better with it still connected, start playing around with spring rates, crossover ring heights and shock valving. Store bought setups are improvements but are never going to be as good as dialing in the shocks/springs for your particular riding style and machine weight.
No offense taken, most of us are here to learn and second or third opinions are welcome. You're right about the extra weight carried high. I'm headed for the desert, most of my riding is mellow, I will be riding solo and that's a compromise I'm willing to make. I have the QD sway bar links for higher speeds but don't need it connected for my local riding.

Shock valving is in my future and crossover height experimentation is available but I won't be trying to figure out the spring rates, that's a never ending quest for my purposes.

For those who haven't seen my setup -
I dxHQzNL L

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
You example isn't quite accurate. From the pics I saw of your Talon you have the thing loaded down to the max and have a ton of weight up high on the chassis, ie 2nd spare tire/wheel. What you describe above is the result of an unbalanced setup, not a sway bar or shock tuning issue.

No offense, but unless you are using the talon for 100% rock crawling purposes riding around with the sway bar disconnected is kinda dumb. Especially with the amount of weight you are carrying up high on the chassis.

Want it to handle and ride better with it still connected, start playing around with spring rates, crossover ring heights and shock valving. Store bought setups are improvements but are never going to be as good as dialing in the shocks/springs for your particular riding style and machine weight.

on my R lightness has been a consideration. Heaver than stock items that were worth it to me were a spare tire, high clearance front a arms, thicker skid plate and a sound bar. Wheels tires and what I carry are as light as I can find. When you say spring rates do you mean changing the springs? That’s not really in the budget or convenient for me. Adjusting cross overs and pre load isn’t a big deal until I start really affecting ride height. Will the Eibach sway bar make a big difference. It’s not an overly expensive upgrade. Do the adjustments make a big difference. Is that something I would order by bar thickness for stiffness?
Sorry for derailing the thread but it was DOA already

Reactions: CID
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I do have a set of shock therapy springs now and valving is in my future

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
on my R lightness has been a consideration. Heaver than stock items that were worth it to me were a spare tire, high clearance front a arms, thicker skid plate and a sound bar. Wheels tires and what I carry are as light as I can find. When you say spring rates do you mean changing the springs? That’s not really in the budget or convenient for me. Adjusting cross overs and pre load isn’t a big deal until I start really affecting ride height. Will the Eibach sway bar make a big difference? It’s not an overly expensive upgrade. Do the adjustments make a big difference. Is that something I would order by bar thickness for stiffness?
I believe @Lil_Steve has the adjustable Eibach SB but I'm not sure if he's had it long enough to comment? He also has the QD SB links.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
on my R lightness has been a consideration. Heaver than stock items that were worth it to me were a spare tire, high clearance front a arms, thicker skid plate and a sound bar. Wheels tires and what I carry are as light as I can find. When you say spring rates do you mean changing the springs? That’s not really in the budget or convenient for me. Adjusting cross overs and pre load isn’t a big deal until I start really affecting ride height. Will the Eibach sway bar make a big difference. It’s not an overly expensive upgrade. Do the adjustments make a big difference. Is that something I would order by bar thickness for stiffness?

The Eibach swaybar has 3 adjustment holes on the end of the arm. The further you go out from the first hole the softer the bar "feels" due to the leverage. Adjustments on the bar make a big difference.

Crappy picture but gives you an idea of the adjustments. This is set to the "soft" position right now....

20201101 165027

Reactions: CID and SpeedBuggy
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Another bonus to the Eibach sway bar is that its hollow and weighs less than stock.

Reactions: SpeedBuggy
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I believe @Lil_Steve has the adjustable Eibach SB but I'm not sure if he's had it long enough to comment? He also has the QD SB links.

I do have the Eibach adjustable sway bar and I've mostly run it in the middle position. I did harsh hard rock riding and crawling today with the sway bar disconnected. It is a compromise, the articulation was great but felt so much more "tippy" almost everywhere. I like to carry corner speed and it's unnerving with the sway bar disconnected. But disconnecting the sway bar was a nice option to have today.

IMG 20201121 134532215 HDR X2

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I do have the Eibach adjustable sway bar and I've mostly run it in the middle position. I did harsh hard rock riding and crawling today with the sway bar disconnected. It is a compromise, the articulation was great but felt so much more "tippy" almost everywhere. I like to carry corner speed and it's unnerving with the sway bar disconnected. But disconnecting the sway bar was a nice option to have today.

View attachment 236570
Cool photo, Dude. Thanks for the feedback. 👍

Reactions: TimG and Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!