SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
It’s seems crazy to me the clutch assembly is 900, and only 1300 for whole diff
If you don't mind full time 4wd I'd pull it apart and figure out a way to lock it up permanently.

If mine is broken like I think it is ill be pulling mine apart and locking it up permanently. My Talon is strictly for race use on dirt so I don't care if it's not 2wd anymore. Your needs may differ...

*My front diff clutch worked fine previous to the little accident I had late in the race season that tore it off the diff housing. It did not just quit working like OP's did.

Reactions: All_Moto
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Another note..... I have been running an I4wd bypass switch since I built the car. @Hondasxs made me a custom harness that used the stock switch to accomplish the task. Car has no idea it is in 4wd and the indicator light always said 2wd. 😎

Reactions: Smitty335
H

HondaTech

You have the luxury of that fancy Honda MCS so you don't have to "know" like the rest of us :)

True, not gonna lie sometimes i forget how to pull codes the manual way without looking in the book first. The MCS is a magical thing occasionally.

• Haha
Reactions: TripleB and Adam490
H

HondaTech

If you don't mind full time 4wd I'd pull it apart and figure out a way to lock it up permanently.

If mine is broken like I think it is ill be pulling mine apart and locking it up permanently. My Talon is strictly for race use on dirt so I don't care if it's not 2wd anymore. Your needs may differ...

*My front diff clutch worked fine previous to the little accident I had late in the race season that tore it off the diff housing. It did not just quit working like OP's did.

We tore one apart to see whats inside and making it locked permanently would require a shaft to be machined.

Its honestly amazing that the magnet and a plate is all thats transmitting the drive force to the diff. It almost doesnt seem like it would work once you see it in pieces.

• Wow
Reactions: CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Another note..... I have been running an I4wd bypass switch since I built the car. @Hondasxs made me a custom harness that used the stock switch to accomplish the task. Car had no idea it was in 4wd and the indicator light always said 2wd.
We tore one apart to see whats inside and making it locked permanently would require a shaft to be machined.

Its honestly amazing that the magnet and a plate is all thats transmitting the drive force to the diff. It almost doesnt seem like it would work once you see it in pieces.
We are gonna need pictures of that....

I have a welder and am not scared to use it. 😁

All_Moto

All_Moto

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kearney mo
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’ve had the hess bypass for a year. I never had a bit of diff problems till shortly after installing the locker. Could be coincidence. I ordered a complete front differential and clutch assembly. I don’t have time to take mine apart and fix a specific issue. I’ll put the new diff in, so I can make a crawling event in a couple weeks. Still fix the original so I’ll have w spare. I’ll try upload the video of it engaging and disengaging. Sounded sketchy with the turbo at the rev limiter doing cyclones 😆 figured if it was gonna break it would break. Guess it did 😆😆 Oopsie

• Haha
All_Moto

All_Moto

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kearney mo
Ownership

1. Talon R
Complete front diff came in, and had time to pick it up. Pushed snow for 30 hrs, taking today off work. Pulling front diff now. Will see how original clutch and diff look, but trying to decide if I should swap the whole unit, or just the clutch. Not sure if I want the locker or not now. Coincidence maybe, but never any issues till put the locker in

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Complete front diff came in, and had time to pick it up. Pushed snow for 30 hrs, taking today off work. Pulling front diff now. Will see how original clutch and diff look, but trying to decide if I should swap the whole unit, or just the clutch. Not sure if I want the locker or not now. Coincidence maybe, but never any issues till put the locker in
Oh, I don't know, maybe this had something to do with it :) ?...

Sounded sketchy with the turbo at the rev limiter doing cyclones 😆

All_Moto

All_Moto

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kearney mo
Ownership

1. Talon R
It was already broke at that point, I’m sure it didn’t help 😆

if it’s just the clutch, makes me wonder why it went so fast. I’m not real familiar with them. Yeah his project will be knowledgeable

• Haha
All_Moto

All_Moto

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kearney mo
Ownership

1. Talon R
Seems the clutch tries to work, just won’t hold. I’m guessing was engaging when there wasn’t much load, and wasn’t holding when there was more traction

60684552 8E75 41CF B80C A99BD8A4E707

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!