Talon Front knuckle removal

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I did a couple of searches to see if there was any other way to remove the ball joints from the front knuckle on my Talon other than the hammer tap method. I didn't see anything. So if you have removed the front knuckle from your Talon to replace wheel bearings and you have any insight or tricks, please let me know.
Thanks!

H

HondaTech

Reactions: PhilCod and TripleB
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks TrippleB and Honda Tech. I'll pick one of those up. I need to get this off today so I am using the tap method. I got the lower off but the tie rod end has been harder to unseat than the lower one!

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Thanks TrippleB and Honda Tech. I'll pick one of those up. I need to get this off today so I am using the tap method. I got the lower off but the tie rod end has been harder to unseat than the lower one!

Be careful.

The tie rod is seated in a steel sleeve inside the aluminum knuckle.

Mush that aluminum even a little and it’s not coming out at all...........

(I was going to portals so mine is just sitting in my garage currently)

If you aren’t replacing the tie rod end I would recommend unscrewing it completely from the tie rod barrel and leaving it connected to the knuckle.

(I’m not happy with my trashed knuckle......)

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com

I have a wheel bearing delete kit! ;) 🤣

4 inch billet gen 3 portal 2 1 3

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Be careful.

The tie rod is seated in a steel sleeve inside the aluminum knuckle.

Mush that aluminum even a little and it’s not coming out at all...........

If you aren’t replacing the tie rod end I would recommend unscrewing it completely from the tie rod barrel and leaving it connected to the knuckle.

(I’m not happy with my trashed knuckle......)
Thanks, It did come out. I had to put it back in to hold the knuckle to take the castle nut off the bottom of the upper one, so it's good to go. The upper one came out a lot easier. But since I bought the ball joint separator I hope to due away with the tap with a hammer method.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just a quick follow up. I bought the tool listed above and it worked great on a 2015 Rancher. It barely fit in the slot as this one is bigger for the SXS, but it popped the ball joints out of the knuckle with ease. Use some WD40 or something on the threads as you crank it down, that made it a lot easier. Thanks for the info on the tool!

Reactions: SuperATV and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!