Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
blow the flames back into everything else.
The curse of the Fire Trap!
time to up the insurance…
🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 🔥 🔥🔥

208Talon

208Talon

Jul 8, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
It takes some getting use too. But it makes for way better long distance travel then a Toy hauler unless you have a toy hauler you can get your rig super close to the axel in it. I had a toy hauler and the whip was awful. So I got rid of it and bought a new camper and a deck. We have taken long road trips on awful roads and freeways and to me honest it is WAY better then my toy hauler ever was. I have checked several times and I am under the height of %100 of the semi's.

Congrats you will be happy with it the more you get use to it. I admit the first drive without a camper on the truck also I was like UGH this is worse then a cab over LOL.

4A76A1B0 2386 4E15 82C1 B301233A7ABE IMG 20220404 221231 302 2 9F2994B0 57D0 4631 96FB 8DDE480A6DC4

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It takes some getting use too. But it makes for way better long distance travel then a Toy hauler unless you have a toy hauler you can get your rig super close to the axel in it. I had a toy hauler and the whip was awful. So I got rid of it and bought a new camper and a deck. We have taken long road trips on awful roads and freeways and to me honest it is WAY better then my toy hauler ever was. I have checked several times and I am under the height of %100 of the semi's.

Congrats you will be happy with it the more you get use to it. I admit the first drive without a camper on the truck also I was like UGH this is worse then a cab over LOL.

View attachment 344341 View attachment 344342 View attachment 344343
Wow you have quite the rear end squat going on there, looks like DOT bait?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

😂

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL

Thsnks for the experience thoughts!! I had been looking into these for the last few years. I think it's gonna be perfect for me. The short trip down the road felt good. @PhilCod if you are thinking about at all about it, you will like it and you have a truck to do it with!)

208Talon

208Talon

Jul 8, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thsnks for the experience thoughts!! I had been looking into these for the last few years. I think it's gonna be perfect for me. The short trip down the road felt good. @PhilCod if you are thinking about at all about it, you will like it and you have a truck to do it with!)
Ya, ignore all the others if it works it works. Way too many companies make them. I have a buddy who has a 1/2 chevy he hauls his all over. He is the nuts one. No matter what you do. Someone is going to be negative.

I agree that a the right truck makes allot of difference.

advertisement
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya, ignore all the others if it works it works. Way too many companies make them. I have a buddy who has a 1/2 chevy he hauls his all over. He is the nuts one. No matter what you do. Someone is going to be negative.

I agree that a the right truck makes allot of difference.
Several companies make cigarettes too…probably perfectly fine to smoke them.

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I don’t understand why using a deck system and pulling a TT makes more sense than a fiver TH or a shorter fiver and a second trailer.

I’ve towed just about every combination of rig imaged and I couldn’t fathom adding 2k lbs of weight (25% of TV weight) at 4’ + above the TV CG and then put a heavy TT on the rear of the TV….I bet it handles like garbage on any curves or small grades…let alone cross winds.

TT already tow like crap without an adding 2k in the sky.

Why not simply pull doubles with a fiver in lead? I assure you it’s a heck of a lot more stable, better mpg, and legal depending on your state. Very likely less expensive too. A simple sway bar on the second trailer and sensible driving is all that’s needed.

0FA445C6 4C79 4D95 94BA 5CA3CB75E7C9

B18BBCE2 22F8 4A4A B2D1 04DD350473FA

in SD the legal length is 65’ with first trailer needing to be a fiver. First pic is with a 14’ enclosed aluminum trailer. Second is my current rig. Both tounge weights on rear trailer were 350 or less with single sway bar. The enclosed trailer had my P1k5 in it at the time.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I don’t understand why using a deck system and pulling a TT makes more sense than a fiver TH or a shorter fiver and a second trailer.

I’ve towed just about every combination of rig imaged and I couldn’t fathom adding 2k lbs of weight (25% of TV weight) at 4’ + above the TV CG and then put a heavy TT on the rear of the TV….I bet it handles like garbage on any curves or small grades…let alone cross winds.

TT already tow like crap without an adding 2k in the sky.

Why not simply pull doubles with a fiver in lead? I assure you it’s a heck of a lot more stable, better mpg, and legal depending on your state. Very likely less expensive too. A simple sway bar on the second trailer and sensible driving is all that’s needed.

View attachment 344418
View attachment 344419

in SD the legal length is 65’ with first trailer needing to be a fiver. First pic is with a 14’ enclosed aluminum trailer. Second is my current rig. Both tounge weights on rear trailer were 350 or less with single sway bar. The enclosed trailer had my P1k5 in it at the time.
Ease up guys, they like the squatty look and how light the steering feels.

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
Why not simply pull doubles with a fiver in lead?

For me it is a matter of destination and accessibility. The doubles would haul great on the interstate going to an established camping and trail area. But doubles are too long for getting up into the high mountain camps on tight dirt roads in my experience. The overhead loaded SxS on a short bed truck with a short camper behind it opens up a lot more location opportunities for 4 to 7 day boondocking, hunting, and fishing.

A double setup wouldn't be able to make some of the switchback and corners that are on a bunch of the Forest Service roads leading to boondock sites in my area. The doubles rig would have too much sweep. There just isn't enough road width to get the front outside truck tire around a corner without the inside tire of the back trailer going off the road. Also a short overhead setup can back into small pull outs, kelly humped roads, or creek sides on secondary Forest Service roads for camping or just turning around. I wouldn't try that with a longer camper, a lot of Toy Haulers, and especially any doubles.

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
For me it is a matter of destination and accessibility. The doubles would haul great on the interstate going to an established camping and trail area. But doubles are too long for getting up into the high mountain camps on tight dirt roads in my experience. The overhead loaded SxS on a short bed truck with a short camper behind it opens up a lot more location opportunities for 4 to 7 day boondocking, hunting, and fishing.

A double setup wouldn't be able to make some of the switchback and corners that are on a bunch of the Forest Service roads leading to boondock sites in my area. The doubles rig would have too much sweep. There just isn't enough road width to get the front outside truck tire around a corner without the inside tire of the back trailer going off the road. Also a short overhead setup can back into small pull outs, kelly humped roads, or creek sides on secondary Forest Service roads for camping or just turning around. I wouldn't try that with a longer camper, a lot of Toy Haulers, and especially any doubles.

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk
Sorry but you’d be wrong on that. I’ve done plenty of dispersed mountain camping with a fiver TH way taller and longer than what you tow already.

Here is my dually Ram and a 325Pack13 TH deep in the bear tooth. The logging roads are the easy part…the actual site navigation is something else with a TH this big. I no longer have this setup, as I wanted to bring my boat at times and still be legal in length.
C90C2EB1 5E64 41A7 828D 1FF79A1CA503
D05C7AD5 5BFE 4074 9ECD DB7F511BCA12

Both fivers previously shown are similar length to what you have and have better ground clearance than a TT. With my Andersen Ultimate Hitch, I can raise or lower the pin height quickly giving me more flexibility than a TT.

You’d be amazed how well the rear trailer tracks too. It really follows the fiver wheel tracks quite closely. You really don’t have to make much turning correction than any other trailer.

Also, you can also disconnect the rear trailer and pull it to the site with the SXS if that’s what your worried about. Having a light weight open second trailer makes this possible, which is why I no longer have the enclosed trailer.

If true dispersed camping is your gig…you really got the wrong setup….a truck camper with a flatbed is by far more sensible in this case.

Last edited:
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Dang slow down y'all. :D Actually for me and my situation you are wrong on what would work for me! And I am glad that you all have setups that fit your style and functional desire for you and your adventures. So for me and the Bed rack I bought it is for getting me alone to a riding destination or getting the most sxs to one location as possible. I have 4 machines and more that join us. I can and do sleep anywhere life gives me a spot to close my eyes....back seat, trunk, bed of truck, ground, on a trailer, hammock, camper, tent, tree, floor, cave, etc. Thanks for all the different options people can choose from as they think through there needs! So back to the back and forth!!😂😂

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I like hauling something in back. You never see a truck loaded anymore. Last trip out we were empty bed and I told the wife don’t want to do that again because the truck doesn’t ride as good and you feel the trailer a bit more. If I had short bed I’d probably run racks just to get another machine along for the ride.

6B1EF2E7 238C 49B3 99C2 E29D1CA656C6

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!