Talon Talon prices are coming down

D

DRMORRIS

May 22, 2019
SMYRNA, TN
Ownership

1. Talon R
Kawi Teryx is an absolute tank. They get away with a 3 year warranty because they break down so little. Now- they are slow, hot and loud and unless you change the shocks they ride like crap- but they get you there AND BACK. My wife loves her Teryx and now I love my Talon. Not sure how Kawi will fair in the sport SXS arena. Unless the bring something revolutionary, they will only be an "also ran" in the category.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Kawi Teryx is an absolute tank. They get away with a 3 year warranty because they break down so little. Now- they are slow, hot and loud and unless you change the shocks they ride like crap- but they get you there AND BACK. My wife loves her Teryx and now I love my Talon. Not sure how Kawi will fair in the sport SXS arena. Unless the bring something revolutionary, they will only be an "also ran" in the category.

Naw, they don't have to bring something revolutionary. Just something comparable and competitive - revolutionary would be nice, but not required. After all, the Talon is not revolutionary.

Yeah, it has a DCT, but other brands have things the Talon doesn't. No guarantees that Kawasaki would warranty the sports model the same as it does the Teryx...

What would make a new model revolutionary anyways?

Reactions: Sandfreak
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Naw, they don't have to bring something revolutionary. Just something comparable and competitive - revolutionary would be nice, but not required. After all, the Talon is not revolutionary.

Yeah, it has a DCT, but other brands have things the Talon doesn't. No guarantees that Kawasaki would warranty the sports model the same as it does the Teryx...

What would make a new model revolutionary anyways?

DCT/auto/paddle at 14-15k selling point would do it I believe.

Talon looks nice but around here it's MSRP and a xp 1000 can be had for around 14 on a fairly regular basis. ~6k difference covers a lot of repairs and maintenance.

If someone can get a DCT closer to that RZR price point I think they'd sell the heck out of them. 3 year warranty would certainly help as well.

Reactions: TripleB
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Talon looks nice but around here it's MSRP and a xp 1000 can be had for around 14 on a fairly regular basis. ~6k difference covers a lot of repairs and maintenance.

If someone can get a DCT closer to that RZR price point I think they'd sell the heck out of them. 3 year warranty would certainly help as well.
LOL ...... yeah, hold your breathe, there ain't a 'snowballs chance' of that happening.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I’ve given the local dealer a deposit on a 4 seat talon x. (Basically to be first on the list)

I’m hoping the price isn’t too painful.

I test drove a 2 seat x and really enjoyed it.

Waiting game on.

Reactions: TimG and dnjones161
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4

See, you also don't need revolutionary. You've just described a discounted Talon. You can buy a slightly used Talon pretty soon and presto, revolutionary side by side!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
You guys that are buying these things many miles away from home - how are you getting prices in writing before you leave home? I can’t get these dealers to give me a legit quote on paper. I need a legit quote for my credit union to get the financing, and I don’t want any extra SURPRISE fees/charges when I show up at the dealer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chooglin
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You guys that are buying these things many miles away from home - how are you getting prices in writing before you leave home? I can’t get these dealers to give me a legit quote on paper. I need a legit quote for my credit union to get the financing, and I don’t want any extra SURPRISE fees/charges when I show up at the dealer!

I suspect you could put a deposit down with CC and have them send you and invoice for the deposit, plus what is owed, via email or snail mail.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I suspect you could put a deposit down with CC and have them send you and invoice for the deposit, plus what is owed, via email or snail mail.

Yeah I could, but I don’t really want to throw money at them before I know what the deal actually is. I worry that if I go to drive 1000 miles to buy it, I will make the trip and they will magically find another $500 to $1000 to add on for some BS that they didn’t tell me about until I arrive.

Reactions: Zuess
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah I could, but I don’t really want to throw money at them before I know what the deal actually is. I worry that if I go to drive 1000 miles to buy it, I will make the trip and they will magically find another $500 to $1000 to add on for some BS that they didn’t tell me about until I arrive.

I guess I should have explain more indepth. Speak to them on the phone, get all the details worked out. After you know all the facts, sent them all that info in black and white via email or text, so you have a record of it. Have them reply to the email/text approving the deposit and agreed price. If they backtrack on any of it, you have the proof the CC company will need to remove the payment from your CC. You can also record the phone conversation. It really is NOT as bad as you are trying to make it out to be. They would not be getting that 'drive down' business if they were BS everybody.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
You don't even need to put a deposit down. If they are legit about the price, they'll email it to you. Then you get your loan approval for exactly that amount. You do need to discuss with them on the phone so they know you are for real too and verify they don't have some small fee for something our another. They should know that if you are getting financing based on the quote they provide, they will not be able to add surprises because your loan approval will be at a set amount. Abernathy's will quote you right off the website without even talking to someone. They state in their quote that there are no additional fees. I called them to verify. I wouldn't hesitate to work with them and drive 8 hours. Worst case scenario they do try to screw me and I don't by it. Try to plan something else into the trip so it's not a total loss. That said, I wouldn't worry about it with these large volume dealers know to cater to out of staters.

RSMark5

RSMark5

May 10, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
You don't even need to put a deposit down. If they are legit about the price, they'll email it to you. Then you get your loan approval for exactly that amount. You do need to discuss with them on the phone so they know you are for real too and verify they don't have some small fee for something our another. They should know that if you are getting financing based on the quote they provide, they will not be able to add surprises because your loan approval will be at a set amount. Abernathy's will quote you right off the website without even talking to someone. They state in their quote that there are no additional fees. I called them to verify. I wouldn't hesitate to work with them and drive 8 hours. Worst case scenario they do try to screw me and I don't by it. Try to plan something else into the trip so it's not a total loss. That said, I wouldn't worry about it with these large volume dealers know to cater to out of staters.

Bought mine 11 hours away at Abernathy. They were challenging to deal with over the phone, slow to get responses/call backs etc. I was a little uneasy about it being so far but the deal was killer. So I put my deposit down and winged it. When I got there, I understood why they were slow to get back to me. That dealership is insane. I was there at 11:30 in the morning on a Saturday. They got the paperwork rolling the second we got out of the truck, very helpful. They were working an incredible amount of deals at one time. Very good dealership experience. 9/10 would buy from there again. No surprises. Everything was exactly right what we'd talked about over the phone. To the penny.

This was one of many many talons they had in stock.

M21ZRxV.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TimG and ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

I called them yesterday and they seemed good. I may end up going with Abernathy’s. Their price was good enough for me on the 1000-5. I still need to get my trade appraised. Did you trade anything in there?

I had spoken on the phone to another dealer and they flat out would not give me anything in writing. And they responded to one email, but after that they would not call me back or respond to my email. They asked to see my trade, I emailed pics, and they never responded. So they are out. We will see what Abernathy’s does.

Reactions: jamesh
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
I called them yesterday and they seemed good. I may end up going with Abernathy’s. Their price was good enough for me on the 1000-5. I still need to get my trade appraised. Did you trade anything in there?

I had spoken on the phone to another dealer and they flat out would not give me anything in writing. And they responded to one email, but after that they would not call me back or respond to my email. They asked to see my trade, I emailed pics, and they never responded. So they are out. We will see what Abernathy’s does.

I haven't made a deal with them myself, but they are in the running. There is another place, Ramey's Motorsports in Purvis Mississippi slightly closer to me with better prices by almost a grand. Of course, there are some very competitive places in Oklahoma much closer to me, but they are not as cheap as Abernthy's or Ramey's. But I can probably use the quotes to leverage them. I do have some local dealers that will play ball, but buying local means 8.25 percent sales tax (i.e. an extra $1,500 to $1,800). That's a big pill to swallow for a title when an MSO is as good as a title for my purposes.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I haven't made a deal with them myself, but they are in the running. There is another place, Ramey's Motorsports in Purvis Mississippi slightly closer to me with better prices by almost a grand. Of course, there are some very competitive places in Oklahoma much closer to me, but they are not as cheap as Abernthy's or Ramey's. But I can probably use the quotes to leverage them. I do have some local dealers that will play ball, but buying local means 8.25 percent sales tax (i.e. an extra $1,500 to $1,800). That's a big pill to swallow for a title when an MSO is as good as a title for my purposes.

Ramey was the other dealer I was trying to work with. Over 1000 miles away from me and they did not make me feel confident that the number they told me was actually going to be the out the door price, and they never responded to my emails after the first one. Not going to make that long of a trip without being sure. I did talk to them on the phone too.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Ramey was the other dealer I was trying to work with. Over 1000 miles away from me and they did not make me feel confident that the number they told me was actually going to be the out the door price, and they never responded to my emails after the first one. Not going to make that long of a trip without being sure. I did talk to them on the phone too.

Good to know

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not even counting the discounted price of the machine, just the saving on the TAX is enough to justify me to make the drive.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Not even counting the discounted price of the machine, just the saving on the TAX is enough to justify me to make the drive.
Yep. you hear tales of dealers not doing warranty work, or blowing you off, if you don't buy from them. I don't know. Seems that if there was a true warranty issue you could get it covered. After all, they get paid to do the work, though not necessarily the same as standard fee work. But I also feel like things we think would be warrantied would more often than not be treated as maintenance/wear and tear. I suppose I could just take it to the ONE Honda dealer in town who doesn't know my face and just tell them I'm new in town, lol.

Reactions: nm6r
GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I was at a local poop dealer yesterday and they told $14,900 OTD plus tax for a RZR 1000XP! With tons of aftermarket support and cheap parts for them and riding with several in this area without problems it’s hard to justify spending an extra 3 grand cause it says Honda... I hate popo as much as anyone but they have gotten better thru the years I think

Reactions: dnjones161

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!