ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yep. you hear tales of dealers not doing warranty work, or blowing you off, if you don't buy from them. I don't know. Seems that if there was a true warranty issue you could get it covered. After all, they get paid to do the work, though not necessarily the same as standard fee work. But I also feel like things we think would be warrantied would more often than not be treated as maintenance/wear and tear. I suppose I could just take it to the ONE Honda dealer in town who doesn't know my face and just tell them I'm new in town, lol.

They have to honor the Honda warranty as long as the machine is under warranty, however what can happen is it could take weeks or longer to get an appointment since they will give preference to customers that bought machines from them.

I gave the dealer I bought my 500 from a shot to match Abernathy’s on a 1000-5 Deluxe ($14045 OTD). He offered me the same machine for $17000. SMH. Another local dealer(much bigger dealer) told me they would match any deal on paper. I told him the deal (this is the sales manager) and he said “I don’t want that deal”.

I guess I just can’t get a good deal here in PA!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RSMark5

RSMark5

May 10, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
They have to honor the Honda warranty as long as the machine is under warranty, however what can happen is it could take weeks or longer to get an appointment since they will give preference to customers that bought machines from them.

I gave the dealer I bought my 500 from a shot to match Abernathy’s on a 1000-5 Deluxe ($14045 OTD). He offered me the same machine for $17000. SMH. Another local dealer(much bigger dealer) told me they would match any deal on paper. I told him the deal (this is the sales manager) and he said “I don’t want that deal”.

I tried to do the same thing. Not only would they not come close to matching Abernathy, they wanted MSRP ($9100) on the 500 that they didn't have, they wanted $660 for the honda freight charge, $380 in "administration fee", $450 for assembly and then 7% sales tax. They're the only dealer in a couple hour circle. As for warranty work, that dealership has a big sign in their service department that says they refuse to work on any snorkeled machine and I've put a snorkel on the P5 before its ever been out for a ride. So I guess screw my warranty.

Abernathy was awesome. We're talking about going back next year for a talon too.

G

gtsum2

Apr 28, 2019
Moseley
A few years back I travelled abut 600 miles one way for a built up rzr from Abernathy’s. The price was exactly what I was quoted. So was my trade in value. They are an extremely busy dealership but if they carried something I was wanting, I would not hesitate to buy from them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
A few years back I travelled abut 600 miles one way for a built up rzr from Abernathy’s. The price was exactly what I was quoted. So was my trade in value. They are an extremely busy dealership but if they carried something I was wanting, I would not hesitate to buy from them again.

I just bought from them and never will again. They don’t prep. They bolt on what needs bolted and ship it. That’s why they are cheap. The prices quoted were accurate but they do the bare minimum when it comes to getting the vehicle ready. Even when I asked them to check the alignment, they told me they would but they didn’t do anything. They know their price can’t be beat so they do nothing when it comes to prep. I hope I get a survey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just bought from them and never will again. They don’t prep. They bolt on what needs bolted and ship it. That’s why they are cheap. The prices quoted were accurate but they do the bare minimum when it comes to getting the vehicle ready. Even when I asked them to check the alignment, they told me they would but they didn’t do anything. They know their price can’t be beat so they do nothing when it comes to prep. I hope I get a survey!

YOU should have check it before leaving. And YES, their price surely can be beat, by several others that I know of.

Reactions: nm6r
J

JTW

I'm starting to see Talon R and Talon X list prices as low as $17,999 and 16,999, respectively, at dealers charging less than $100 additional fees. Not sure if this is a big conversation starter, but it makes me happy since I'm planning to get one at the end of the year. Of course, by then, 2019 stock may be sold out and I'm stuck closer to MSRP. Or, maybe there will be an even BETTER deal at that time. Either way looks like a drive to Arkansas, Mississippi or Tennessee to get the best deal. I'll make that drive to save a couple thousand since I'd drive that far for a riding trip anyways.
Yup.. going down faster than i4wd drivers!

cummins14

cummins14

Jul 18, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Talon X

You are 100% correct on the warranty being honored. The authorized new vehicle dealership must honor the factory warranty regardless of where a machine was purchased. The thing just as you mentioned is that said dealership can absolutely make you wait indefinitely if they choose to do so. I work in the automotive dealership field and I've seen it more often than not. Dealers in our industry actually have guidelines and metrics that they have to adhere to that keeps their warranty repair numbers in line with the other dealers. They also use the number of new units sold to base these percentages on. That said, if a dealer is too high in certain warranty repair areas, the manufacturer can and will limit their authority to authorize such repairs. Now if a particular dealer takes in a lot of warranty on vehicles that exceed their amount of sold units, it definitely can affect their warranty repayments. They always say that they are backed up or three weeks out which in many cases could be true, to blow the customers off and to another dealership. I personally went through this with my previous machines from a different manufacturer. I purchased them over 350 miles from home and 5 hours one way and three out of four of my closest dealerships all but refused the work I needed. The one that did offer to help was telling me four to six weeks by the time they got approval on warranty coverage, ordered parts and completed the work. I definitely didn't want to deal with this scenario again, so I found a fairly close dealer that traded me out of my problems and into the Hondas. I also got them to throw in a 5 year extended warranty and GAP insurance for no additional fees although I did pay retail for the new toys. Honda has reliability from the past on it's side, but as with any mass produced product, some failures are inevitable.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
And the prices keep on dropping. Check out this Facebook listing from Ramey Motors in Purvis Mississippi.

Capture

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

Regarding my previous post, I should not have been so quick to run my mouth.

1. Yes, the prep that they did could have been better. However, it really isn't that big of a deal for me.
2. I feel that I got a good deal, and I am happy with my purchase.
3. I would consider buying from them again.

Here is what I found wrong so far: The tire pressures were definitely never checked. All were too low, and they were uneven. No biggie.
As far as the alignment, mine does not seem to be that bad other than the steering wheel was way off. I measured between the centerlines of the tire tread at the rear and at the front and according to my measurements it has about 1/8" of toe in. Much much better than I expected! So I am not going to adjust it unless the tires start wearing funny. I took the steering wheel off and corrected it.

Sorry to derail the thread, but I just wanted to set the record straight about how my experience was. I was just immediately upset because the first thing I noticed driving the machine down the road was the steering wheel being so far off. It was really disappointing... but For the money I saved, I have no right to complain and nit pick!

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Regarding my previous post, I should not have been so quick to run my mouth.

1. Yes, the prep that they did could have been better. However, it really isn't that big of a deal for me.
2. I feel that I got a good deal, and I am happy with my purchase.
3. I would consider buying from them again.

Here is what I found wrong so far: The tire pressures were definitely never checked. All were too low, and they were uneven. No biggie.
As far as the alignment, mine does not seem to be that bad other than the steering wheel was way off. I measured between the centerlines of the tire tread at the rear and at the front and according to my measurements it has about 1/8" of toe in. Much much better than I expected! So I am not going to adjust it unless the tires start wearing funny. I took the steering wheel off and corrected it.

Sorry to derail the thread, but I just wanted to set the record straight about how my experience was. I was just immediately upset because the first thing I noticed driving the machine down the road was the steering wheel being so far off. It was really disappointing... but For the money I saved, I have no right to complain and nit pick!

Much respect for your honesty. Yeah, I too have had experiences where I got a great price on some good equipment and then later felt butt hurt that I did not also get the red carpet treatment. All in all, I was happy with the total sum of the experience and would do it again. The steering wheel on one of my P500's was totally off when I bought it. Simple fix. It would be interesting to know how much assembly occurs at the dealer.

Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
G

gtsum2

Apr 28, 2019
Moseley

Not even close to my experience. I bought a rzr all built up with Houser cage, bumpers, and rock sliders and quite a bit more and they had it 100% tip top when I picked it up

1968kyle

Jul 29, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah I could, but I don’t really want to throw money at them before I know what the deal actually is. I worry that if I go to drive 1000 miles to buy it, I will make the trip and they will magically find another $500 to $1000 to add on for some BS that they didn’t tell me about until I arrive.

I just bought the a Talon R from Sunset Honda in Searcy Arkansas. I was worried about the same thing as I live in West Texas. I requested a "Deal Sheet" that had all charges on it...I gave 17600.00 showed up and it was as smooth I did end up adding the 4year extended warranty for a extra grand...cost me about 500.00 to get it and the best I could do around me was 19000.00 plus freight and set up

Reactions: ehart814
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
I just bought the a Talon R from Sunset Honda in Searcy Arkansas. I was worried about the same thing as I live in West Texas. I requested a "Deal Sheet" that had all charges on it...I gave 17600.00 showed up and it was as smooth I did end up adding the 4year extended warranty for a extra grand...cost me about 500.00 to get it and the best I could do around me was 19000.00 plus freight and set up

Not to mention you saved around $1500 in taxes.

B

Bmp4510

Apr 9, 2019
Clovis
I was working to sell my 2017 Honda African Twin and Polaris General to purchase a Talon. It history repeats itself to me, again. In 2017, with DCT tranny, very similar motor and trans that are in the Talon. Been buying Honda motorcycles, 3 & 4 wheelers as well as cars from the same dealership for 42 years. I know the GM very well, and he always gives me a fantastic deal.

Anyway back to history. Had a 200x back in the early 80’s I purchased new. Two years later I wanted to sell it. Honda still had brand new units from my year model, and were trying to blow them out, killing the used market.

Same thing happened with my 1985 350x three wheeler. (I think I remembered the right year). Same thing happened, Honda overbuilt/undersold the units, and brand new three year old 350x’s, ridiculously cheap.

So as I readied the 2017 Africa Twin for sale, I’d paid around $12.5k for, I decided to try to sell it for $8,500. Stopped at the local dealer, who’s trying to sell my exact year and model of motorcycle, new, for $8k plus tax & license. Not again....

Also the dealership is slow on moving Talons. They also sell Polaris, Can Am, Artic Cat and probably something I’ve missed. They are selling the heck out of Polaris and Can Am units, just not the Talons. Oh, they sell the Yamahas as well.

Anyway, this is really starting to turn me off of Honda’s. While I will argue that the build the best machines, their business practices aren’t the best. Anyone else in a similar situation, or care to comment?

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was working to sell my 2017 Honda African Twin and Polaris General to purchase a Talon. It history repeats itself to me, again. In 2017, with DCT tranny, very similar motor and trans that are in the Talon. Been buying Honda motorcycles, 3 & 4 wheelers as well as cars from the same dealership for 42 years. I know the GM very well, and he always gives me a fantastic deal.

Anyway back to history. Had a 200x back in the early 80’s I purchased new. Two years later I wanted to sell it. Honda still had brand new units from my year model, and were trying to blow them out, killing the used market.

Same thing happened with my 1985 350x three wheeler. (I think I remembered the right year). Same thing happened, Honda overbuilt/undersold the units, and brand new three year old 350x’s, ridiculously cheap.

So as I readied the 2017 Africa Twin for sale, I’d paid around $12.5k for, I decided to try to sell it for $8,500. Stopped at the local dealer, who’s trying to sell my exact year and model of motorcycle, new, for $8k plus tax & license. Not again....

Also the dealership is slow on moving Talons. They also sell Polaris, Can Am, Artic Cat and probably something I’ve missed. They are selling the heck out of Polaris and Can Am units, just not the Talons. Oh, they sell the Yamahas as well.

Anyway, this is really starting to turn me off of Honda’s. While I will argue that the build the best machines, their business practices aren’t the best. Anyone else in a similar situation, or care to comment?

Since you brought up a LOT of good info with that history, there is a point you failed to acknowledge. Your FUTURE problems would be solved IF you stop buying when the models are new. WAIT and buy the models you want after they have been out for a while. When I bought my '18 P1K5D, in 10/17, I found them new to be cheaper than most used '17. I NEVER buy first year models.

Last edited:
Reactions: dnjones161
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
I'm actually starting to lean toward a 4-seater now. Talon X4 will just be released to the showroom floor when I'm ready to buy. I expect a 4 seater will be about 2 to 3K more than the 2 seater. Hoping the drop in 2 seater prices affects the four seater. It probably will, but maybe not at the time I'm ready to buy. Not sure if I'd wait just for prices to go down....hmmm.

Reactions: ohanacreek
J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R

Welcome to the power sports market. That's exactly how it works when there is plenty of money poured into the market year after year. My dealer calls it "the race to the bottom (of value)". Every year there are bold new graphics, a new engine, new features or a whole new chassis . A certain set of consumers can afford these new things, which makes last year's hardware "outdated" in many people eyes. As long as we keep pouring in the money, manufacturers will stay interested in innovation, which will continue to drive the used market values.
You think atvs/utvs are bad (and I agree that market is bad)? You must not be a snowmobiler. It's about 2-3 times as bad in the sled market. Somewhat confounded by the idea that a sled is about junk by 8,000 miles. Selling one with more than a few thousand miles and no warrantee is like standing on the corner with a cardboard sign which reads "Please take this sled off my hands, I'm desperate to ride the latest shiney new design. Anything helps".

But you know what? I don't care. I'm going to ride and play as long as my body allows (a couple more years). I buy what I want, when I want it. I don't give a sh*t if I get the best price or not! And I won't wait a season to get a few thousand off. I've saved my money to play with, and I'm pretty sure I won't die broke. If your budget keeps you from having the new hardware you want , I am sorry but you haven't worked hard enough yet to earn it. So quit complaining and go back to work.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!