Talon , rzr or can am???

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On my way to bring the pioneer to the dealer tomorrow to get fixed ....while I'm there I plan on checking out some of the new sxs , particularly to take to the sand dunes. All my friends have rzr xp turbos or can am maverick x3s .... they all state that a turbo is almost a must for the dunes....ill be looking at 4 seaters and ofcourse the dealer doesn't have a talon in a 4 seater yet...im a honda guy , always have been ...any advice on what to go with or any advice from your experience would be helpful !

D

DDDonkey

Most my dune friends have switched to X3s, they all had RZRs at one point. If you are looking at a 4 seater then you need a turbo.

On a side note I am looking at the KRX for the dunes and just another all around machine, but I don’t care about the speed. I have taken the pioneer to the dunes a couple times and have just as much fun, I just have to pick my lines.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I spend about half my time at the dunes and the other half climbing rocks. These are very different so you need to pick your poison.

If you primarily want to dune then an X3 is the way to go but they suffer at anything else that requires ground clearance due to their low stance an long wheelbase. And the look the best of all the brands 😄

One in our group has a Turbo S and it does very well and is by far a better all around machine.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd really check out the rzr pro xp. A buddy has one and its been great. I wouldn't buy the old version in a 4 seat. On the middle package the rear seats flip down for hauling cargo ect. Great design.

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So just left dealership they had a talonx 4 seater there .... said they were gonna check if there was turbos from Jackson available and if so they could throw it in there . Also looked at an x3 ds turbo r 4 seater . Impressive hp number, 172 , but they seem to sit low . And seem long, compared to honda . It'll probably come down to the talonx 4 seater with a turbo vs x3 ds turbo r 4 seater .

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
So just left dealership they had a talonx 4 seater there .... said they were gonna check if there was turbos from Jackson available and if so they could throw it in there . Also looked at an x3 ds turbo r 4 seater . Impressive hp number, 172 , but they seem to sit low . And seem long, compared to honda . It'll probably come down to the talonx 4 seater with a turbo vs x3 ds turbo r 4 seater .
The X3 is low, long and wide. GREAT machine for the dunes, paved/dirt roads and and OK on trails but not so good when you need ground clearance. Somewhat purpose built so if you mainly dune, you can't go wrong with an X3.

Talon is more all around built. It does very well at everything but does not excel at any one thing. They are OK at the dunes but underpowered so if you are going to primarily dune then you will need to add the turbo or you will be disappointed.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have a bit of a unique need for a s x s as well, I live in northern canada, so we get lots of snow and mud, but our summers everything turns into a dust bowl with lots of fast, open tundra riding, and I spend a month down in Arizona riding desert, and usually a dune trip or two. So I need something all around capable. The talon is good in most things (other than a stupidly stiff suspension). Doing it all over i'd probably go with a RZR 1k XP or Turbo. The X3 is too low and long for our riding up here.

Reactions: Isaiah

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm still waiting to hear from the dealer on when they expect to get any x3 max turbo R in , thats the 172 hp x3 not the 195hp . The sales rep didn't seem to sound like a honda guy . Anytime I brought the talon up he had a reason why to go with can am . Even with the Jackson turbo the canam is still 3000 cheaper . Which to me that's where longevity comes in .... will I have put the 3k difference into the canam over the course of 5 years... I haven't looked at the rzr xp pro , none of the dealers close to me have any.... and everyone says they break

H

HondaTech

Have they cleared the XP Pro yet? I thought they stil were under a stop sale due to the exploding clutch.

• Wow
Reactions: CID

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have they cleared the XP Pro yet? I thought they stil were under a stop sale due to the exploding clutch.

They must have ..... one dealer had a 2 seater that sold the day I was gonna stop ...another dealer said he had three 4 seaters coming in at the end of the month..

J

JTW

I would highly suggest you waiting until January 26th...

@Kilo427 and I played in the dunes our last day in Moab this year and even with 35’s and a tune my machine did fine. I can see why a turbo would be handy in the dunes. BUT I would suggest waiting until the 26th to see what Kawi unveils.

AD7B9B27 3966 4F5C 8E2F E66194A39157 6FEDA5C9 D8E2 4151 B922 99B0BACF5987

Reactions: Isaiah and Mudwing
Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I have two guys I ride with that have X3’s and those things are sick, the power is just unbelievable. They all break depending on how you treat them. I can tell you from experience that you will spend money on belts....and always carry a spare belt and tools needed to change it!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm still waiting to hear from the dealer on when they expect to get any x3 max turbo R in , thats the 172 hp x3 not the 195hp . The sales rep didn't seem to sound like a honda guy . Anytime I brought the talon up he had a reason why to go with can am . Even with the Jackson turbo the canam is still 3000 cheaper . Which to me that's where longevity comes in .... will I have put the 3k difference into the canam over the course of 5 years... I haven't looked at the rzr xp pro , none of the dealers close to me have any.... and everyone says they break
If you do any type of radical riding, the first upgrade to the X3 is the control arm mounts/frame stiffener. They are a well known weakness, they will bend if you look at them crooked. Unless Can Am has addressed the issue, plan on about $2000 to get it corrected.

Reactions: Ragnar406
Slow-Poke

Slow-Poke

Nov 9, 2020
Nor Cal
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Talon w/ the turbo (167) runs fairly close to the X3 turbo R (172) and the XP turbo(168), but will be 2-4 car lengths back in a straight line race. I would imagine the new Talons with launch control would cut that distance in half, but the belt drives hold their peak RPM from the start, so it is difficult to compete. I did not buy my Talon to drag race or be the fastest up a sand hill. I bought it for dependability and to be beltless. The Talon R in my opinion, does not need shock therapy's help (but I'm sure the Talon X does). I drove all 3 of these machines on the same route 2 weeks ago, in the sand, through whoops, corners, up hills, etc.. I liked the way the Talon acted and felt. The seating posistion of the Talon is in between the laid back X3, and the upright XP. The X3, set on medium(shocks), was ridiculously soft. The Talon set on soft back & medium front, was comfortable, controllable, and not too "stiff" at all. The XP was in between, as far as ride quality/plushness. If I were looking for a 4 seater, I wouldnt hesitate to get the Talonx4 (Turbo). But plan on $1500 for shock upgrades. Long term, I think the Honda will be less expensive to service and "repair" down the road. I've heard of all kinds of parts (not including belts) that need to be upgraded or replaced right away with the XP or the X3, including some failry expensive suspension and steering items. Doesn't seem to be the case with the Honda.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!