Talon , rzr or can am???

J

JTW

Good video! I have watched it before, still doesn't address maximum axel degrees for extended runs?
I’m not following what you’re asking.. the suspension doesn’t stay at max angles for extended periods. It moves up and down. My point on the video was the fact they’re measuring travel from 3” off the ground to the skid and not with the skid on the ground as others are doing. They’re giving you real numbers and not advertising bs.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I won’t disagree with the last part. But as for weight.... my pioneer weighs more than the KRX. And if you’re going to be built like a tank, you’re going to be heavier. You can focus on weigh savings when building a machine but that doesn’t mean it’s a good thing when you give up reliability and being beefy. A $250 tune wakes the machine up like you wouldn’t believe! They’re geared low enough that bottom end isn’t an issue and while it might not be as quick as some machines.... it’s still really good. It’s not a turbo... at least yet.
So you are comparing your Pioneer weight to a sport machine? Apples to Oranges. And you are already spending money on it trying to increase power,different Springs,bigger tires?How big of a trailer can you pull, how much weight can you haul?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m not following what you’re asking.. the suspension doesn’t stay at max angles for extended periods. It moves up and down. My point on the video was the fact they’re measuring travel from 3” off the ground to the skid and not with the skid on the ground as others are doing. They’re giving you real numbers and not advertising bs.
Yep, Nick was running his pre load to the max and was blowing grease out of his cvt boots and smoking at 2019 TO during extended road trips, because the axel degree was to severe. The axel cvt's aren't designed to run at full drop for extended miles, they get too hot and start coming apart.

J

JTW

So you are comparing your Pioneer weight to a sport machine? Apples to Oranges. And you are already spending money on it trying to increase power,different Springs,bigger tires?How big of a trailer can you pull, how much weight can you haul?
Weight is weight... it takes energy to move it, regardless. The pioneer and KRX are pretty similar in regards to weight but the pioneer is a heavier and not built nearly as well. Yea, they’re different machines. That’s not what I was comparing. My comments to the poster you’re quoting me from are in regards to the KRX losing 200-300 lbs and it not being 150 HP sport machine. I was comparing how the build quality compared to other sport machines is heavier and yet it still lighter than a pioneer and yet it’s still built MUCH beffier than a machine that’s suppose to be built to carry all these passengers and equipment.

The point was not to make a comparison between the two... but since you brought it up.

Yes. I am spending money on the KRX. Because I choose to. Not because it’s a necessity for how i want to ride. I swore I wouldn’t go back down the rabbit hole I did with the Honda’s. And it’s not just the pioneer it’s the talon too. The Honda’s are just more expensive because they need more. Since you want to make this about me comparing the pioneer to the sport machine. Lets

$250 for a tune that makes A HUGE difference. Vs the $1200 on the pioneer that only helped.

$700 on 35” 55lbs tires minus $400 for the stock tires compared to the 43lbs 30” berzerkers on the pioneer.

$1400 for shocks on the pioneer plus $300 for 4 springs vs $600 for 8 new springs on the KRX.

I could go on and on... but essentially. I’m around $3500 in extras on the KRX to vs $10-15k on the pioneer.

The point? It takes a whole lot less to equip the KRX the way I want it. The guy commenting about the weight, I see as a good thing and the lack of HP can be addressed with relative little cost and get a whole lot of bang for his buck.

The reason I keep commenting about the KRX is for 2 reasons... one, it’s become a game to f*** with people. But two and the initial reason is to help folks out. Those of us that build our pioneers to the extent many of us here have.. are trying to get it to what the KRX is and does. I say... hey, hold up and save yourself a kit of money and look here. There's a reason a dozen of us that have been here a while and have done so much to our pioneers bought the Kawi. Stock... the ride is the best out there. the machine performance is incredible, folks just won’t understand until they really dive it hard. The build is more beefy than anything else out there. The bang for your buck is better than anything out there. Particularly, when I bought.

You can throw a 35” tire on it without clutch work.. and haul 350 plus pounds in the bed. And there is ample interior storage room.

I bring it up.. because it’s the machine many of us here had hoped the talon would be!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If it had a DCT, and had 150hp, it would be the machine we hoped the talon would be. Until then, Rubber band brigade has arrived! 🤣
Can fix suspension. It’s f***ing hard to add DCT. I’m glad a couple of the machines have a good clutch system on the belt but it’s still just not my preference.

J

JTW

If it had a DCT, and had 150hp, it would be the machine we hoped the talon would be. Until then, Rubber band brigade has arrived! 🤣
Yup... I do admit I sometimes miss my paddles. BUT... People talk all this s*** about the belts all the time. It’s waaay smoother power transfer. And I had waaaay more issues with the clutches in my dct than I have this belt, and that’s at 3 times the miles on the belt. There’s also a lot to be said for how easy and cheap it is to replace a belt trail side. I can carry a belt with me... who carries a clutch pack? And let’s not forget the Honda low gear issue that we’ll start seeing more and more of.

@CumminsPusher how many clutch packs did you put in your last machine?

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yup... I do admit I sometimes miss my paddles. BUT... People talk all this s*** about the belts all the time. It’s waaay smoother power transfer. And I had waaaay more issues with the clutches in my dct than I have this belt, and that’s at 3 times the miles on the belt. There’s also a lot to be said for how easy and cheap it is to replace a belt trail side. I can carry a belt with me... who carries a clutch pack? And let’s not forget the Honda low gear issue that we’ll start seeing more and more of.

@CumminsPusher how many clutch packs did you put in your last machine?

I'm not talking reliability, if that was the only thing that mattered we'd probably all whip John Deere Gator's or the Kubota UTV, i'm talking the dynamics of a DCT vs a rubber band. #CVTsAreForSnowmobilesAndPrius's

J

JTW

I'm not talking reliability, if that was the only thing that mattered we'd probably all whip John Deere Gator's or the Kubota UTV, i'm talking the dynamics of a DCT vs a rubber band. #CVTsAreForSnowmobilesAndPrius's

Well, I would agree if the dct were done right. But it’s just not. At least yet.. Low and reverse need to be lower. The soft gear issues still need to be worked out. Maintenance needs to be easier and then the rest of the machine needs to be on par with it.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
JTW is blowing his KRX BS again. The KRX has a good suspension design but the rest of it is just a big fat heavy girl. You can point to it being beefy and try to call that a good thing that it's heavy but nobody wants to start out with a machine that is already to heavy. Your pioneer is not the same weight as a KRX is stock. The Pioneer weighs less. Another false thing with your KRX depiction and it's funny that you keep comparing it to a utility vehicle just like the market does, they compare it to the Rmax. Weight is a bigger factor than You are giving it credit for. Everything has to be stronger from tires on up when you start with a heavy machine. I could bring up a lot of little things about the KRX that have not been good that are on your little forum that you are on. You may have spent $600 on your suspension but most are still spending the $1,500 that we are. Why do you think the springs sag after 2 to 300 mi, ding ding ding because it's too heavy for the springs they put on. The suspension is the only thing on the KRX that you could say is better than the Honda Talon. But remember your wonderful shock therapy did place the Honda Talon in the top three for front end suspension geometries. And you keep talking about the KRX as a sport machine It is not. It is too heavy to be a sport machine with no power. And that clutch design has never seen big power throughout history. You can say you had fun driving around the dunes with it but I've had my pioneer on the dunes and had fun too. Once again great comparison to the KRX. So I would totally agree with you JTW that if I was going to attempt to build a pioneer up to off-road as good as a KRX can and that was all I was using it for then I would definitely buy a KRX over a Honda Pioneer. But you are comparing apples to oranges there because the pioneers utility side is very convenient while still getting an awesome sporty driving experience. The driving experience is something that a rubber band machine can never replace. Shifting through the gears and being able to pick your RPM is what every true sports enthusiast loves about cars, side by sides, etc. Why do you think Cam am is looking to put a transmission in their machine soon. One reason is it's the better way to go. The other thing with the Kawasaki KRX is until it grows in popularity the aftermarket world will have less stuff for it than they do for the Hondas. And I don't believe it will ever take off fully because I don't think you will ever see that machine with real power. Oh and remember how well the Honda Talon did at the Baja 1000. Funny to me how such a junk machine can start kicking ass! Make your decision but I guarantee you you might be happy with another machine out of the box but will you be happy with the machine when it starts getting miles put on it. I know you will with the Honda Talon.

Oh and I have put thousands of hard miles on the DCT and have never had one clutch issue or transmission failure yet. A lot of that can be considered user error.

The KRX weighs more than a Honda Talon four-seater does stock.

Last edited:
J

JTW

JTW is blowing his KRX BS again. Yup that’s why a dozen of the members who’ve been here and done that and that ride harder than most have purchased them.
The KRX has a good suspension design but the rest of it is just a big fat heavy girl. You can point to it being beefy and try to call that a good thing that it's heavy but nobody wants to start out with a machine that is already to heavy. Well, that’s where you’re wrong.. double shear tabs and radius rods and arms that don’t need to be replaced is a great start. Steel skids are better than factory plastics. And steel wheel wells are awesome. Heavier 31” stock tires with beadlocks. And not to mention all fluids including a full tank (11 gallons) of fuel are included in their curb weight. (That’s apx 75lbs alone)
Your pioneer is not the same weight as a KRX is stock. The Pioneer weighs less. Another false thing with your KRX depiction and it's funny that you keep comparing it to a utility vehicle just like the market does, they compare it to the Rmax. Weight is a bigger factor than You are giving it credit for. Everything has to be stronger from tires on up when you start with a heavy machine. I could bring up a lot of little things about the KRX that have not been good that are on your little forum that you are on. By all means... go ahead and name the thing on the “little forum”. I’ve pointed them out myself.. and Kawi has done a stellar job of getting on top of those issues immediately and getting them fixed. That’s a damn sight better than Honda does. It’s literally years before they “admit” an issue and take care of fixes.
You may have spent $600 on your suspension but most are still spending the $1,500 that we are. No they’re not. Actually most are spending $500 for bandit springs and there will be a $300 option soon.
Why do you think the springs sag after 2 to 300 mi, ding ding ding because it's too heavy for the springs they put on. That’s due to the government regs and rollover guidelines for rollover standards. It also has to do with the 100’s of extra pounds people add to it in accessories. The suspension is the only thing on the KRX that you could say is better than the Honda Talon. Lmao.. that’s just a dumb thing to say. How about a true locking diff or better rops, easier maintenance, 31” tires and bead lock wheels, more storage and factory accessories that actually fit well because it’s a very well thought out machine. But remember your wonderful shock therapy did place the Honda Talon in the top three for front end suspension geometries. Yes, all below the KRX. And they also said the rear geometry sucked and wished they had put the time into it
And you keep talking about the KRX as a sport machine It is not. It is too heavy to be a sport machine with no power. What? Another moronic comment. There is minimal difference in 0-60 times between the KRX and talon.
And that clutch design has never seen big power throughout history. It’s an NA machine and geared for bottom end and crawling but still do 70 mph though the rough. I guess the guys throwing turbos and super chargers to them just don’t know as much as you. :rolleyes:
You can say you had fun driving around the dunes with it but I've had my pioneer on the dunes and had fun too. Good for you!
Once again great comparison to the KRX. So I would totally agree with you JTW that if I was going to attempt to build a pioneer up to off-road as good as a KRX can and that was all I was using it for then I would definitely buy a KRX over a Honda Pioneer. That’s been my point from the get go.
But you are comparing apples to oranges there because the pioneers utility side is very convenient while still getting an awesome sporty driving experience. An awesome sporty driving experience? So a machine that can do 60 but has the suspension of a road wagon is what you define as a sporty experience??
The driving experience is something that a rubber band machine can never replace. Shifting through the gears and being able to pick your RPM is what every true sports enthusiast loves about cars, side by sides, etc. Why do you think Cam am is looking to put a transmission in their machine soon. One reason is it's the better way to go. Thats completely subjective... yeah, I like the paddles. But there’s more to it than that. The smooth transfer of power to the ground by the wet clutch is amazing! And without the suspension to get that driving experience it’s pointless!
The other thing with the Kawasaki KRX is until it grows in popularity the aftermarket world will have less stuff for it than they do for the Hondas. You're clearly clueless as to how popular this machine is and how quickly aftermarket has jumped on the opportunity!
And I don't believe it will ever take off fully because I don't think you will ever see that machine with real power. Sooo, the turbos they’re putting on them and that are expected to be released factory soon are just imaginary? Oh and remember how well the Honda Talon did at the Baja 1000. Funny to me how such a junk machine can start kicking ass! You mean the $100K plus machines that are as close to a stock machine as a nascar is to a Prius? I’m pretty sure there’s only been one machine getting raced basically stock and doing well and that’s driven by Jeremy McGrath. Oh, what machine is that again?
Make your decision but I guarantee you you might be happy with another machine out of the box but will you be happy with the machine when it starts getting miles put on it. I know you will with the Honda Talon. I probably would enjoy a Talon for certain riding. I’ve been in them.. I’ve driven them. I know what they are and I know the drawbacks to both machines. I could have bought anything I wanted.. but I bought the KRX for many reasons of which I bring up here to help make folks aware.
Oh and I have put thousands of hard miles on the DCT and have never had one clutch issue or transmission failure yet. A lot of that can be considered user error. Yeah, user error is an issue. But your just f***ing lying if you say the dct hasn’t had and doesn’t have issues still yet. Or maybe you’re just spewing your misinformation to justify your purchase. There are literally dozens of posts here by a plethora of guys that know what’s up about the issue! Hell, Honda even had a “product improvement” for one of the issues!
The KRX weighs more than a Honda Talon four-seater does stock. Yeah, but the KRX doesn’t need to come with a disclaimer that the steering is apt to start shaking for no reason at any given time.
There are so many inaccuracies in you post it’s laughable.. but ill address them above in red.

Reactions: Etzkorn22
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep, Nick was running his pre load to the max and was blowing grease out of his cvt boots and smoking at 2019 TO during extended road trips, because the axel degree was to severe. The axel cvt's aren't designed to run at full drop for extended miles, they get too hot and start coming apart.
That’s not exactly true. I blew the boot because a stupid mechanic put two grease bags in the same boot “to help the cooling”.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
JTW is blowing his KRX BS again. The KRX has a good suspension design but the rest of it is just a big fat heavy girl. You can point to it being beefy and try to call that a good thing that it's heavy but nobody wants to start out with a machine that is already to heavy. Your pioneer is not the same weight as a KRX is stock. The Pioneer weighs less. Another false thing with your KRX depiction and it's funny that you keep comparing it to a utility vehicle just like the market does, they compare it to the Rmax. Weight is a bigger factor than You are giving it credit for. Everything has to be stronger from tires on up when you start with a heavy machine. I could bring up a lot of little things about the KRX that have not been good that are on your little forum that you are on. You may have spent $600 on your suspension but most are still spending the $1,500 that we are. Why do you think the springs sag after 2 to 300 mi, ding ding ding because it's too heavy for the springs they put on. The suspension is the only thing on the KRX that you could say is better than the Honda Talon. But remember your wonderful shock therapy did place the Honda Talon in the top three for front end suspension geometries. And you keep talking about the KRX as a sport machine It is not. It is too heavy to be a sport machine with no power. And that clutch design has never seen big power throughout history. You can say you had fun driving around the dunes with it but I've had my pioneer on the dunes and had fun too. Once again great comparison to the KRX. So I would totally agree with you JTW that if I was going to attempt to build a pioneer up to off-road as good as a KRX can and that was all I was using it for then I would definitely buy a KRX over a Honda Pioneer. But you are comparing apples to oranges there because the pioneers utility side is very convenient while still getting an awesome sporty driving experience. The driving experience is something that a rubber band machine can never replace. Shifting through the gears and being able to pick your RPM is what every true sports enthusiast loves about cars, side by sides, etc. Why do you think Cam am is looking to put a transmission in their machine soon. One reason is it's the better way to go. The other thing with the Kawasaki KRX is until it grows in popularity the aftermarket world will have less stuff for it than they do for the Hondas. And I don't believe it will ever take off fully because I don't think you will ever see that machine with real power. Oh and remember how well the Honda Talon did at the Baja 1000. Funny to me how such a junk machine can start kicking ass! Make your decision but I guarantee you you might be happy with another machine out of the box but will you be happy with the machine when it starts getting miles put on it. I know you will with the Honda Talon.

Oh and I have put thousands of hard miles on the DCT and have never had one clutch issue or transmission failure yet. A lot of that can be considered user error.

The KRX weighs more than a Honda Talon four-seater does stock.
Have you considered an Rmax?

Last edited:
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
replaced clutch x 3 times in mine its super fun

You replaced three clutches on a Honda Talon already? Oh wait no that's right I forgot You guys are still talking about pioneers and that comparison to

As I've said in many other threads the KRX is not a bad machine but it is not the answer to every Honda Talon problem. It has some things that it does better and it has some things that it does worse. But for you guys to throw out the completely insane idiotic claims that you have about the KRX and its superiority to every other brand is ridiculous. You can say you're not a fanboy but your lips are so puckered up on the balls hanging down that you can't even see what you're hanging off of!

Why don't you guys give the Honda Talon members the same respect that we give the KRX membership. Stay on your forum and we're staying on ours.

Reactions: Blownzuki and CID
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Have you considered an Rmaxx?

I have looked at them for informational purposes but not considered buying one. I think they are a great machine. I think that Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki are the most quality-built brands. I think in each category of each brand there are areas where each brand excels over the other brand. Some of that transfers into the type of riding You personally do and how you like to drive your machine. Eaxh machine has pros and cons. That really has been my point here is that none of these machines are hands down the perfect machine. For me personally I am looking for an off-road Porsche which the machine that most resembles that and it's driving experience is the Honda Talon. The YXZ is also a blast to drive! Some people really just want and off-road truck that is slightly sportier. That is what I believe the Kawasaki KRX is. They are in the same classification but they are built for slightly different intended purposes.

Reactions: Blownzuki
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Funny how the KRX guys are pushing the KRX on so many threads I can't even learn about windshields without hearing about the KRX b*******. But yet in the end I'm the jerk for calling you guys fanboys like you've been calling us on the Honda site. Sorry if you were offended but seriously you are on a Honda forum. That in itself should tell you something.

And maybe the fanboy comment is meant more for JTW but if the shoe fits by all means put it on.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Wow! no offense taken here.... Now you're going personal and claiming that I don't know how to drive! Funny I think you did get a little butt hurt. But keep enjoying your machine and I'll keep enjoying mine.

E

Etzkorn22

Mar 12, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Other Brand
Funny how you call me a krx guy when I been riding a Honda for years and still have one. I’m not offended. I just think your a ignorant piece of s*** that can’t drive and lacks the knowledge necessary to s*** with out some one else wiping, no offense though.

I enjoy how he is calling you guys KRX fanboys but goes on to compare the Talon to an off-road Porsche like a fanboy himself.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!