Talon , rzr or can am???

Slow-Poke

Slow-Poke

Nov 9, 2020
Nor Cal
Ownership

1. Talon R
If Kawi would knockoff 2-300 pounds and bump the HP up to over 150 they would sell the crap out of these. BUT, waiting until after Christmas to release these has got to be one of the biggest bonehead moves in history. From the research I did through last summer, the only two complaints from EVERYBODY was weight and HP. Everything else was solid. A 4 seater makes perfect sense, but only if there is an upgrade for HP, because they would be adding another 300+ pounds.

Reactions: Smitty335 and JTW
J

JTW

If Kawi would knockoff 2-300 pounds and bump the HP up to over 150 they would sell the crap out of these. BUT, waiting until after Christmas to release these has got to be one of the biggest bonehead moves in history. From the research I did through last summer, the only two complaints from EVERYBODY was weight and HP. Everything else was solid. A 4 seater makes perfect sense, but only if there is an upgrade for HP, because they would be adding another 300+ pounds.
I won’t disagree with the last part. But as for weight.... my pioneer weighs more than the KRX. And if you’re going to be built like a tank, you’re going to be heavier. You can focus on weigh savings when building a machine but that doesn’t mean it’s a good thing when you give up reliability and being beefy. A $250 tune wakes the machine up like you wouldn’t believe! They’re geared low enough that bottom end isn’t an issue and while it might not be as quick as some machines.... it’s still really good. It’s not a turbo... at least yet.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I’ve only sat in a kawi and my first impression was it’s a high step entry for my wife but the driver ergonomics felt great.

all of these machines have their specific issues. Until my talon in jan 2020 we had polaris rzrs. They served us well. My S1000 was so much fun and handled well until it caught on fire. That machine was incredibly easy to steer with the throttle

ive not owned a can-am. My father in law has worked on a few and I’m not impressed with accessibility to anything.

Yamaha YXZ is just plain ugly. And the should bar was uncomfortable. Leg tunnel is narrow also.

my usual advise to friends is to pick a machine that does what you intend to use it for. Pick one and go have fun!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So just left dealership they had a talonx 4 seater there .... said they were gonna check if there was turbos from Jackson available and if so they could throw it in there . Also looked at an x3 ds turbo r 4 seater . Impressive hp number, 172 , but they seem to sit low . And seem long, compared to honda . It'll probably come down to the talonx 4 seater with a turbo vs x3 ds turbo r 4 seater .
Great choice....do it!!!

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I would highly suggest you waiting until January 26th...

@Kilo427 and I played in the dunes our last day in Moab this year and even with 35’s and a tune my machine did fine. I can see why a turbo would be handy in the dunes. BUT I would suggest waiting until the 26th to see what Kawi unveils.

View attachment 239836 View attachment 239837
Are there new models coming out or the three new trim packages? I heard about a trails and special edition package that come with different color schemes and some of the accessories already installed.

J

JTW

Are there new models coming out or the three new trim packages? I heard about a trails and special edition package that come with different color schemes and some of the accessories already installed.
Won’t know until January but I suspect there will be more than just a color change.

W

Waccamaw

Nov 8, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The X3 is low, long and wide. GREAT machine for the dunes, paved/dirt roads and and OK on trails but not so good when you need ground clearance. Somewhat purpose built so if you mainly dune, you can't go wrong with an X3.

Talon is more all around built. It does very well at everything but does not excel at any one thing. They are OK at the dunes but underpowered so if you are going to primarily dune then you will need to add the turbo or you will be disappointed.
I have a can am maverick ,it has 17" of clearance with the stock 28" tires. When I wear them down I plane on putting 32" on . It has 22" of suspension travel. What is the ground clearance and suspension travel on the honda?

Reactions: Smitty335
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have a can am maverick ,it has 17" of clearance with the stock 28" tires. When I wear them down I plane on putting 32" on . It has 22" of suspension travel. What is the ground clearance and suspension travel on the honda?

I'm sure we'd all like to know how you got 1.5" more ground clearance than can am advertises?

Also, it's the wheel base that causes issues, not the ground clearance. The X3 is gargantuan. 102" wheelbase. Gets high centered very easily

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm sure we'd all like to know how you got 1.5" more ground clearance than can am advertises?

Also, it's the wheel base that causes issues, not the ground clearance. The X3 is gargantuan. 102" wheelbase. Gets high centered very easily
I smell a chaloonge?

J

JTW

Prolly just adjusted the ride height on the shocks

advertisement
W

Waccamaw

Nov 8, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

I would think tuning the suspension would account for the extra 1.5". I was in the construction business for almost 50 years and I can read a tape rule. What is the ground clearance of and suspension travel of a honda ???

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I would think tuning the suspension would account for the extra 1.5". I was in the construction business for almost 50 years and I can read a tape rule. What is the ground clearance of and suspension travel of a honda ???
48 and counting. Be sure to account for suspension sag at rest. The easiest way to measure that is jack up both ends, with tires on the ground and shocks at full extension, measure ground clearance. Let it back down, rock the machine back and forth a good 3 feet and measure again and do the math. A good starting point is 1.5 inches of sag. The axels aren't designed to run at full droop for very long on any S X S.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Specs for the Talon R - 17.7" front travel, 20.1" rear with 13" ground clearance with stock 28" tires.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!