TalonR Front Differential Removal?

prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
Has any one had to pull the Front Differential, or have the Honda Manual as in what order things are to come apart. THX

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Dont know if this will help. Its an exploded view from partsfish. I took a guess at a 2020 Talon R. Ive used partsfish exploded views countless times over the years to take apart toys and put them back together. Maybe this will help until someone comes along with a repair manual. Good luck!

Screenshot 20210320 184958 Samsung Internet

Reactions: Duncan71 and Enigma
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think @906UP had his apart to check the gear lash and pattern but don't know if he had to remove it or not.

Reactions: 906UP
prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank You That dose help at this point I am just trying to get it out of the car. Will it pass the rack on the passenger side. Do you have to split the tall off it before removing. After you unhook the drive line where to go the right way. Not my way?

Reactions: Bastardchild
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thank You That dose help at this point I am just trying to get it out of the car. Will it pass the rack on the passenger side. Do you have to split the tall off it before removing. After you unhook the drive line where to go the right way. Not my way?
I've had mine out a couple times, really not much to it. It has to come out the front.

You have to pull the 3 bolts holding the clutch (tail) to the diff, to remove the axles out I found it's easiest to pull the front shocks, disconnect the lower A-arm and use a ratchet strap to pull the A-arms & knuckle up, that gives you room to pop out the axles. Remove the speed sensors and pull the front bumper. Once you remove the bolts holding the diff it will come out the front.

Reactions: Mudwing and CID
prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank You that is just what I needed to hear. Do you leave the clutch or tail shaft in the car and then do you have to remove the drive line. Can you do it with out taking the drivers compartment apart to get the drive line clip. Or just leave the clutch unit in place? Thanks Again

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thank You that is just what I needed to hear. Do you leave the clutch or tail shaft in the car and then do you have to remove the drive line. Can you do it with out taking the drivers compartment apart to get the drive line clip. Or just leave the clutch unit in place? Thanks Again
Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I was only removing the front diff to disassemble & check backlash so I left the clutch & drive shaft in the car.

I'll be doing it again in another month or so, as soon as Torq Locker releases the locker.

Reactions: CID and BWAF
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Is it safe to assume that if I unbolt the center driveshaft bearing and loop after I remove the front diff that the drive shaft will just come out the front like the diff did? I need to replace my rack, U joints and diff seals while it's all apart. And what is this "driveline clip"?

Also, any tips or tricks to getting the CV's out of the diff easily?

@906UP

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Is it safe to assume that if I unbolt the center driveshaft bearing and loop after I remove the front diff that the drive shaft will just come out the front like the diff did? I need to replace my rack, U joints and diff seals while it's all apart. And what is this "driveline clip"?

@906UP
I used a small prybar to get behind the inner CV and gave them a quick pop.... it just has the standard spring clip on the inner spline.

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

@906UP
Driveline should come straight out the front. It will also come out the bottom.

CV joints are held in like most cars with a little ring clip. Service manual says to "Tug firmly and pry with a screwdriver". I removed one of mine and with the help of a screwdriver, it wasn't too difficult to remove. Came out like any car joint I have done...

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693 and CID
prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is some of what I found. The axles will just pop out if you pull straight out and not let them drop. Pulling the shocks really works well them a jack stand under the spindle to keep it at a driving angle. This is with the car supported in the center and solid. The two hammer works on ball joints and tie rod ends. Passenger side of the front clutch is two pop pins that cover the wiring and third bolt. Taking the front clutch or tail shaft off the final drive is easy and safe as it is a spline flat fit. Biggest thing for me is to not over tighten bolts the way I do as when you have to get into it again which you will all mine are really tight. Please post if you can pull the drive line out the front it is a pain to take the driver side off to get it out other wise. Mine is buried by the 10 gal. trail tank. Good luck.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is some of what I found. The axles will just pop out if you pull straight out and not let them drop. Pulling the shocks really works well them a jack stand under the spindle to keep it at a driving angle. This is with the car supported in the center and solid. The two hammer works on ball joints and tie rod ends. Passenger side of the front clutch is two pop pins that cover the wiring and third bolt. Taking the front clutch or tail shaft off the final drive is easy and safe as it is a spline flat fit. Biggest thing for me is to not over tighten bolts the way I do as when you have to get into it again which you will all mine are really tight. Please post if you can pull the drive line out the front it is a pain to take the driver side off to get it out other wise. Mine is buried by the 10 gal. trail tank. Good luck.
If you only need to remove the driveline, you do not need to pull the floorboard, the axles or the diff to remove the driveline. Just remove the skids and the left lower inner fender. The driveline comes out the bottom in less than an hour...

Reactions: Hometeam and 906UP
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Easy peasy...... Unbolted the lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends and shocks and the axles popped out with a tap and a big flathead. 6 bolts later I had the diff out and on the bench. Hardest part about getting the driveshaft out is the front driveshaft loop drivers side bolt. I used a shallow 1/4" drive 12mm socket, swivel and 3" extension with a 3/8" ratchet and got the bolt out from the top. From the time I jacked it up to done was about 2hrs.

20210325 203125
20210325 203205
20210325 215019

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!