P1000 Tap into high beams?

L

Landlord9000

Feb 10, 2018
Springfield, MO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Picked up a 1000-3. Previous owner ran two relayed circuits off dashboard switches. I'd rather the light bar be controlled off factory headlight switch. I want it to come on with high beams only.

Where's best spot to tap in?

Reactions: Lady01
S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Picked up a 1000-3. Previous owner ran two relayed circuits off dashboard switches. I'd rather the light bar be controlled off factory headlight switch. I want it to come on with high beams only.

What I would do is tap in by the switch, I haven't looked, but you should be able to tap in. I would tap in as close to the switch as possible because the farther you are from the switch, the more load you will put on the wire to the high beams, don't know the gauge or the wire, or amp draw for high beams. I would definitely still use the relay. JMHO

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is a connector under the hood attatched to the crossbar that supports the forward most part of the dash plastic. I believe it’s dark red.

I have the wiring diagram at home. I’ll find the wire and take a pic I have my switch backlighting powered off the low beam side.

I would no doubt use a relay if it’s a light bar

Reactions: Lady01 and BWAF
S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I like the idea of the light bar off of high beams only. I plan to put on a light bar, so post what you come up with.

Yankee

Yankee

Apr 29, 2016
Tennessee
I like the idea of the light bar off of high beams only. I plan to put on a light bar, so post what you come up with.
My light bar is wired into the high beams. I did some welding for buddy of mine and he wired it up for me. He used a relay and if u remove the drivers cup holder it will give u access to the wires. Sundayrider could tell u exactly how he wired it

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My light bar is wired into the high beams. I did some welding for buddy of mine and he wired it up for me. He used a relay and if u remove the drivers cup holder it will give u access to the wires. Sundayrider could tell u exactly how he wired it
That's a great idea!

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thank you, will look into that.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
D59d926f4526ba78d57324678c802767

My memory is crap it’s a BLACK4 way connector

At the machine (passenger side) of the connector.
Green-ground
Brown-Tail
Blue/Yellow-Hi
White/Black -low

Switch side (driver side)the HI wire is blue/black.

L

Landlord9000

Feb 10, 2018
Springfield, MO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok took me a minute to get to this. Tapped into 6 wire plug first, because I can't follow directions.... Found switched power, light bar came on with key. Studied this thread again, tried recommended wire....

It's magic! One switch to control them all! Normal low beams, or bar and beam on hi. THanks y'all!!

Last edited:
advertisement
H

h2bd

Jun 18, 2020
LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What kinda relay or fuse you used are just wired directly to high beams
Ok took me a minute to get to this. Tapped into 6 wire plug first, because I can't follow directions.... Found switched power, light bar came on with key. Studied this thread again, tried recommended wire....

It's magic! One switch to control them all! Normal low beams, or bar and beam on hi. THanks y'all!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!