1. 1000-3
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You will love it! We have an 04 DMax and it has been a workhorse!!!
Trade your Ford in?
Yup traded the F250 and my commuter car, saving on tax and tags for downsizing to just one vehicle and planning for Obama presidency fuel prices. I watched a video where a guy went 103 miles and only used 3.3 gallons of diesel, so far I have 100+ miles on a full tank and still on full, mixed driving avg mpg dropped to 24.9mpg. Few good towing videos in the mountains of CO towing 8k lbs and it did really well, seems like other then up mountain passes it’s getting around 12.5mpg towing which is better then I got in the F250 unloaded.

The big test will be towing the camper across KS and seeing how it handles the crazy cross/head winds. I swear doesn’t matter which way your going there is always a head wind and cross wind on I-70.

Last edited:
annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Haha, I stopped modding vehicles years ago, not worth it. I did order a tonneau cover and timbrens for it though but it’ll stay stock.

I hear ya. I have a 14 Ram Cummins, upgraded from a F150 to tow a travel trailer (about 7500 pounds). Night and day difference towing.
I get about 18mpg combined driving unloaded, about 12 towing.

My years of modding cars is largely over. I put a combo toolbox, aux fuel tank in the bed and a locking rifle rack and called it good. Don’t feel like I need to lift it crazy, upgrade turbos, or an insane tune. Longevity is more important now.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hear ya. I have a 14 Ram Cummins, upgraded from a F150 to tow a travel trailer (about 7500 pounds). Night and day difference towing.
I get about 18mpg combined driving unloaded, about 12 towing.

My years of modding cars is largely over. I put a combo toolbox, aux fuel tank in the bed and a locking rifle rack and called it good. Don’t feel like I need to lift it crazy, upgrade turbos, or an insane tune. Longevity is more important now.
I’ve considered adding an aux transfer tank but still thinking on it.

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went with a small RDS ~40 gallon. Between that and the factory 32 gallon tank, I can tow my trailer further than I’m willing to drive in a day.

Once we arrive at our destination, I unhook and fill up both tanks. I truly despise filling up with the trailer attached. Seems that either the diesel pump is always blocked (by someone in a Prius getting lunch inside), or the pumps are setup in such a way that navigating an RV through the station is a nightmare.

On our last road trip I had a really bad headwind at one stretch. It really tanked my mileage, and I was very happy to have the extra fuel.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve been reading the pioneer needs a lot of the stuff like you’ve done.
So why are you still here? Just wondering as you’ve said multiple times it isn’t for you, just move on, no utv is for everyone and if you aren’t able to make it what you want spend more for what you want, or spend less and get a cheap cfmoto, I really don’t care as you have been told what you asked, figure it out, pretty simple, it’s either for you or not. We don’t work for Honda so don’t expect us to earn your business. Are you just a web troll?

But if you aren’t a troll and get a pioneer we are here to help you but no we won’t sell you on it or any other machine, get what’s right for you and guess what, you have to figure that out for yourself.

Last edited:
G

GuyOnABuffalo

So why are you still here? Just wondering as you’ve said multiple times it isn’t for you, just move on, no utv is for everyone and if you aren’t able to make it what you want spend more for what you want, or spend less and get a cheap cfmoto, I really don’t care as you have been told what you asked, figure it out, pretty simple, it’s either for you or not. We don’t work for Honda so don’t expect us to earn your business. Are you just a web troll?

But if you aren’t a troll and get a pioneer we are here to help you but no we won’t sell you on it or any other machine, get what’s right for you and guess what, you have to figure that out for yourself.
Why are you so angry and rude? You’re not very helpful.. so sorry I’m new and have questions.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not angry nor am I rude, you just want your hand held and I’m sorry you aren’t getting that here. Your questions have been answered multiple times on multiple threads, maybe read the responses again or if they didn’t make sense ask for clarification but you keep saying the same thing over and over like you just aren’t retaining anything but that the pioneer isn’t for you. After 189 posts in 4 days you should know all you need to know to make an informed decision.

G

GuyOnABuffalo

Not angry nor am I rude, you just want your hand held and I’m sorry you aren’t getting that here. Your questions have been answered multiple times on multiple threads, maybe read the responses again or if they didn’t make sense ask for clarification but you keep saying the same thing over and over like you just aren’t retaining anything but that the pioneer isn’t for you. After 189 posts in 4 days you should know all you need to know to make an informed decision.
I’m so sorry I have a learning disorder and have a hard time retaining the information I read. Thanks for pointing it out and making me look and feel like I’m less of a person because of my disability.

T

turdbrownLE

Nov 8, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yup traded the F250 and my commuter car, saving on tax and tags for downsizing to just one vehicle and planning for Obama presidency fuel prices. I watched a video where a guy went 103 miles and only used 3.3 gallons of diesel, so far I have 100+ miles on a full tank and still on full, mixed driving avg mpg dropped to 24.9mpg. Few good towing videos in the mountains of CO towing 8k lbs and it did really well, seems like other then up mountain passes it’s getting around 12.5mpg towing which is better then I got in the F250 unloaded.

The big test will be towing the camper across KS and seeing how it handles the crazy cross/head winds. I swear doesn’t matter which way your going there is always a head wind and cross wind on I-70.

I know quite a few guys running 1/2 diesels. They are/were Rams (been available longer). For daily driving, light towing, and occasional mid/heavier towing, I think you'll love it. MPG are crazy for a full size and incredibly capable 4x4. The lighter duty diesels are still so much more torquey than standard 1/2 engines it can make you forget it's still a 1/2 ton with 1/2 brakes, suspension, transmission, etc. Only guy I know that ended up not super happy was doing daily towing of a 16ft enclosed trailer @ about 7k lbs. Power was never an issue, but it seemed like the truck just wore out prematurely. Should be an incredible truck for your application. I consider getting one often, but I'm currently in a megacab and just can't talk myself out of the huge cab. And I just deleted my 2500; wow what difference.

Keep us posted on longer term feelings. I don't anyone running 1/2 duramaxes.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know quite a few guys running 1/2 diesels. They are/were Rams (been available longer). For daily driving, light towing, and occasional mid/heavier towing, I think you'll love it. MPG are crazy for a full size and incredibly capable 4x4. The lighter duty diesels are still so much more torquey than standard 1/2 engines it can make you forget it's still a 1/2 ton with 1/2 brakes, suspension, transmission, etc. Only guy I know that ended up not super happy was doing daily towing of a 16ft enclosed trailer @ about 7k lbs. Power was never an issue, but it seemed like the truck just wore out prematurely. Should be an incredible truck for your application. I consider getting one often, but I'm currently in a megacab and just can't talk myself out of the huge cab. And I just deleted my 2500; wow what difference.

Keep us posted on longer term feelings. I don't anyone running 1/2 duramaxes.
So far I love it, already put 300 miles on it, want to get it to 500 and follow the rules before towing to break the seals in. Oh you know it’s a 1/2ton, rides like a luxury car and even unloaded you can tell the brakes aren’t even close to a 3/4 ton. If I towed daily I’m not sure I’d get one unless it was 5k lb trailer or less. It’ll be interesting to see how it does with my 6x14 dump trailer with 3.5tons on it.

Went and picked up a 55gal gravity feed transfer tank, should give me a range of 2k miles when traveling unloaded and around 950 miles when towing. Found one that will easily fit under a tonneau cover.

My last diesel I tuned and it was a crazy diff, I also put a 50gal under bed titan tank on it, the under bed tanks just aren’t worth the cost and are a pia to install. I’m not touching anything on the motor, emissions etc, I’m just going to deal with any emissions issues as they come if they do, I’m hoping they have by now started to figure that stuff out.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!