P500 Test ride

M

mywaytotalk

Mar 30, 2019
Spartanburg
The wife and I went yesterday to the local dealer and rode 2 P500’s. The first ride was a bit disappointing. The first unit seemed to gasp for gas, was jerky, and the gear change was very hard shifting and jerky. The sales guy in review and with a test ride with me agreed something was wrong with the unit. Onto the 2nd unit a better ride but the trans was still really clunky, a little like it lacked fuel in the start, and hard shifting.

I really like the idea of the P500 size and utility. I have a couple acres I like to pull my trailer around, haul a little wood, etc. I want to use it at the hunt property, and to pull some implements, etc.

The wife said in comparison to other machines we had she was not sold. She noted the golf cart was quite, smooth, and could haul multiple people but also noted we pulled the trailer, etc with it. She noted the Atv is fun, has the utility we needed, etc. she noted the P500 was rough, jerky, and lacked the fun factor.

What am I missing? Doing research on the clunky and jerky trans. Educate me. As I noted this seems to be the perfect machine for my needs at least in theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rtn001 and DG Rider
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Maybe try a different dealer, it sounds like the one you went to doesn't really have their crap together. They let you test drive the first machine with it screwing up, maybe something (clutch adjustment) was a little off on the second one also. They will all feel a little off when they are new and not broken in. A lot of guys have them and love them so there must be something good about them.

Reactions: Fordman
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The wife and I went yesterday to the local dealer and rode 2 P500’s. The first ride was a bit disappointing. The first unit seemed to gasp for gas, was jerky, and the gear change was very hard shifting and jerky. The sales guy in review and with a test ride with me agreed something was wrong with the unit. Onto the 2nd unit a better ride but the trans was still really clunky, a little like it lacked fuel in the start, and hard shifting.

I really like the idea of the P500 size and utility. I have a couple acres I like to pull my trailer around, haul a little wood, etc. I want to use it at the hunt property, and to pull some implements, etc.

The wife said in comparison to other machines we had she was not sold. She noted the golf cart was quite, smooth, and could haul multiple people but also noted we pulled the trailer, etc with it. She noted the Atv is fun, has the utility we needed, etc. she noted the P500 was rough, jerky, and lacked the fun factor.

What am I missing? Doing research on the clunky and jerky trans. Educate me. As I noted this seems to be the perfect machine for my needs at least in theory.

I can’t speak to the “gasping for fuel” part, but the transmission/shifting smooths out with time and break in and a bit of learning curve in the sweet spots for speed and RPM’s in shifting. With 3,000 miles mine is smooth and quiet anymore. Quality synthetic lubricants help as well.

I don’t think you’ll be displeased with a purchase. If the dealer has one, ask to test drive a used model and see if you don’t notice a difference.

Good luck. And welcome to the forum! :)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Maybe you didn't have your seatbelt on and hit the speed limiter. That would give you the starved-for-gas feeling. My 2017 P5 is smooth.
Haha, didn’t think of that as I’ve got a 15 model. Seems like the dealer would have thought of that though....

M

mywaytotalk

Mar 30, 2019
Spartanburg
Thanks for the feedback. Seatbelts were required to be worn while we test rode and the dealer did a demo for us as well on the safety belt rev limiter.

SpaceTroll

SpaceTroll

Jul 8, 2018
Kirbyville Tx
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the forum. You're right the trannys clunky at first but after break in it smooths out. Mines a 17 with 2800 miles on it. 95 % of those miles are in manual shift mode and once you learn the machine it shifts smooth as silk in manual .For hunting riding and playing it's hard to beat . I've pulled many trailers loaded down with no problem. This thing is a tough little machine. If you want something to haul 4 or 5 people I'm going to say you won't be happy with a 500. Not sure what type of riding you plan on doing but if it's not on a golf course I'd go with the 500 ;)

ShotgunClay

ShotgunClay

Mar 13, 2018
Founders Ranch New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
Smooth shifting is part learning curve and part getting some miles in. Have 2100 miles on my '17 and it shifts smooth and easy (used the automatic transmission for about the first 15 minutes, all the rest is manual) The differential was noisy at first, but it's quieted down too.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
everyone says they smooth out. i would look at the 700 bunch more stuff you get with that if your purpose is hunting and work mostly, ton more room for people and stuff, way more room in the bed, locking front, glove box, more stable without having to mod it, plus its not much more i paid 10 and ive seen a few around that have them for 9300

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
A few quick notes. Agree with above.
Clunky transmission at first, after a break in period an easy clutch adjustment helps greatly.
Ride can be improved with larger aftermarket tires, but it is a short wheel base machine.
Geared transmission and pulling power seems on target for your intended use, rock solid and dependable.
Fun factor with paddle shifting is there, its not the fastest, but the terrain of trails in my area prevents greater than 20 mph anyway.
That said, I was disappointed with the test drive also, but it gets better as said above, and the wife and I enjoy it for doing chores on the property and taking trail rides. The idea of driving a few used different models sounds good, especially if they have been modded by prior owners. Good luck.

advertisement
M

mywaytotalk

Mar 30, 2019
Spartanburg
Feedback is good. I need to track down a used model and give it a try. Is the P500 a cold starter, takes a little bit when cold to seem like it’s getting good fuel flow? With a fuel injection I wouldn’t think this to be the case but curious. Because I use mine to hunt I am accustomed to starting it and going with very little warm up time. Thanks again for the feedback keep it coming.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
This was a good surprise on cold temps. Hope it helps. P500 - Coldest temps for cold engine start up?
And Welcome to the forum.

66AF8853 CFED 4D08 AA01 9C8A941B5E3F

Reactions: rtn001
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Smooth shift point is at about 1750 rpms, which you can't see without a tach so it's a sound thing. If you take it too far past that it'll seem starved for fuel or the next gear. The P5 is essentially a utility machine and will easily tackle the tasks you're asking it to do. As for the fun factor, it's going to take a few extra bucks. Throw a few upgrades into it and then hit some tight and winding trails. Guarantee you'll both come back with smiles. Above all, this is the quintessential Honda, you'll play hell trying to break it.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
3400 miles or so on mine. The 500 is characteristically not as smooth as a belt machine. You’re slamming metal gears together at every shift, kinda. It absolutely does smooth out a bit over time but it’s never going to be as smooth as a rubber band machine. But once you get used to it, you will find that having a real transmission is a huge benefit when doing work, trying to go slow, and descending hills. And the durability is amazing. Get into some twisty trails and start banging gears and the small machine really shines! And it’s overbuilt so 26” or 27” tires have no effect on durability. Good radial tires make such a huge difference in so many ways! Once you make that upgrade it’s like having a new machine all over again.

C

Chuckie3

Sep 17, 2018
New Fairfield ct
Ownership

1. 500
Agree with the others, tranny Smooths out in time. Have a p5 17 and I love it .once you drive it for a while and get use to it your gonna like it . And if you keep listening to the guys in this forum your gonna start spending a lot of $ on accessories because it gets addicting

B

Bullseye

Feb 5, 2016
Indiana
An opposite viewpoint, trying to sell mine for all those reasons. I realized all that when I bought it but thought I would get used to it and it would be okay, never did. It's a good machine , just not for everybody.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

The trans will get better.

Do you have an atv already?

As I said in a recent review, you have to be honest with yourself about what you need. You like the ideal of the 500...but why? Size? That size helps with tight trails and loading into pickups, but most everything else, bigger machines work better. Maybe try the 700 and see what you think.

M

mywaytotalk

Mar 30, 2019
Spartanburg
Bullseye can you elaborate more of what was not the right fit and/or what problems or challenges you have encountered?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!