P500 Test ride

M

mywaytotalk

Mar 30, 2019
Spartanburg
DG I have owned many of Atv’s in the past but don’t currently have one. The P500 advantages are the size and being able to navigate where an Atv may go, the side by side seating, and the utility of pulling or packing things in/out of the woods and around our property. I am in the market for an Atv and came across the P500 and thought this could be the answer to everything. Right now I haven’t ruled out the Honda Foreman or the Yamaha Kodiak 700.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
My 17 has a little over 700 miles on it and the shifting and the clunking sounds all have smoothed considerably and quieted down. The 500 is a machine for those not interested in lots of speed and that do not require supreme riding comfort. It is a smaller SXS that will go places a 700 or 1000 cannot. It is a basic setup that allows for a lot of personal modifications and add ons. I have spent a lot of time in the past using Polaris machines for work. I much prefer Honda as I do not care for the rubber band drive. I have seen them several times get wet and sit for a while.
The 500 suits my wife and I perfectly but it may not you. Try a 700 or a 1000 they may be exactly what you are looking for. If I win the lottery;) I will get a 1000 but I won't get rid of my 500.

B

Bullseye

Feb 5, 2016
Indiana
Bullseye can you elaborate more of what was not the right fit and/or what problems or challenges you have encountered?

Biggest thing for me is the ride, it rides rough, would make my back hurt. Never much cared for the shifting, clunking and jerky. One of my atvs before this was a Recon so I thought I would get used to it, never did. 1st gear is way too low, hardly ever use it, seems to have trouble shiftng out of first gear lots of times. Rear end noise was obnoxious. We can ride on the road here which I do some, rear end noise is real bad when you do that. Little things like no glove boxes, no place to put small stuff I use when out working on the property. My new unit has power steering, I like it.

I know most of these things can be improved, modified, plenty of post on here about how to do that. Depends if your into doing that stuff. It is a solid machine that served me well and has its place, just make sure that what you sacrifice is for reasons you need to. When I bought it in 2015 I really liked the Teryx best but was concerned about the reliability of it. I bought the Honda for its reliability and it's size, I thought it would suit me well. 6 months after I bought it Yamaha came out with the Wolverine, dang it, that was about exactly what I wanted, oh well. After 4 years with the Honda I decided to switch to a Wolverine x2. I had a Grizzly 700 for 15 years and was very good to me, hope the wolverine is too. To the Honda's credit, all I had to do to it was change the oil.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I got my P500 17 a little over a year ago and I love it. I bought it for most of the reasons you stated and it has fulfilled my expectations. I wanted the auto style transmission, direct shaft drive (no rubber band). Are there things I don't like or care for, yes there is. Low ground clearance, rack instead of dump bed, no built in storage, rough ride and loud engine noise. Some have been corrected, others will be and the rest will be lived with. IMHO, from what you have stated above, I would not buy the P500. I would look very closely at the P700 remembering the P500 is a tough reliable, no frills utility sxs. I don't believe you can compare a sxs to a ATV as they just aren't the same thing and they dang sure aren't a golf cart. Thats my 2 cents worth and Welcome from Central Florida and good luck.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
the 700 is only a few inches bigger and all we have is tight trees, the 2 has a very tight turning radius and can get most any where a 500 would, worth the extra things you get without mods

Reactions: Mudwing and rtn001
T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
the 700 is only a few inches bigger and all we have is tight trees, the 2 has a very tight turning radius and can get most any where a 500 would, worth the extra things you get without mods
Got a good friend with a 700 like you describe. We have ridden together. I can assure you I go places he simply cannot get into. We ride woods trails that are often narrow or partially blocked or require extremely tight turns. The trade off is the less comfortable ride and clearance but the 500 is what it is and I take it for that and live with its limitations and advantages. Suits me just fine but admittedly is not for everyone. That's why there are so many models and makes.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
some experience to it too, and keeping the stock wheels, ive been taking my rhino down quad trails for years
the only place it cant go is 50 inch trail gates, because its 59, if you have those 500 better. but most people put offset wheels and spacers on them and 55 or 56 to combat the tippy. I cant believe there is anywhere the same length and a couple inches on either side would make any difference. I guess we are just going to disagree I welcome you to come ride with me, my rhino was this same size too and people couldn't believe I made it down all those quad trails either

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudwing
dannyboy

dannyboy

The older I get the better I was
Supporting Member
Dec 11, 2017
NW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-2

3. Talon X
I really like the idea of the P500 size and utility. I have a couple acres I like to pull my trailer around, haul a little wood, etc. I want to use it at the hunt property, and to pull some implements, etc.
We own both a P500 and a P700-2. If you're focused on a machine to handle the the chores you've listed you need to look at the P700. That is why we have one. The dump box and locking differential alone get those things done without spending another penny on accessories.

If, on the other hand, you enjoy building a machine that both you and Honda had a hand in, the P500 is just what you're looking for. It will do the chores when asked but shines on the tight woodsy trails we ride. The fun factor is just much higher with the P500. IMHO.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I have to say the little P5 is a work horse. Spent most of last Saturday helping to clean up the tornado damage in Beauregard, AL skidding trees and logs out of a wooded area to try to recover the personal affects of the owners who lost their homes. Great to be able to maneuver in tight spaces and enough pulling power to get the work done. Modifications I would strongly suggest for this type of activity are EPS, and a 2" receiver hitch similar to the 1195CMP or Moose offering and Feral ATV 2" 3 way hitch.

Here is the 1195CMP reciever which in addition to being able to use a 2" hitch, also distributes the load over both sides of the frame.
IMG 0207

Pulled out over 50 trees, logs and brush and dragged to road for pickup, some trips were skidding 2 to 3 trees or logs at a time. Plus dragged out an piece of interior wall about 7' x 8' x 4" as well as a 2' x 6' x 4" concrete slab.
IMG E1291a IMG 1292a

The small footprint of the P5 makes it ideal maneuvering in tight spaces like this path.
IMG 1297

In all, I think you would be quite pleased with the P5 for your intended use, and as others have mentioned, the shifting gets smoother.

M

mywaytotalk

Mar 30, 2019
Spartanburg
I’m really torn at this point with direction. I agree the P700 for work is the better fit but not for my hunting needs. I am going to try and find a used P500 to see how they settle in before making a decision.

Reactions: DG Rider
advertisement
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I’m really torn at this point with direction. I agree the P700 for work is the better fit but not for my hunting needs. I am going to try and find a used P500 to see how they settle in before making a decision.

Why doesn't the 700 work for hunting?

I think finding a used 500 is a good ideal. May even decide to just buy it.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
ton more room getting in and out with big clothes and boots check for signs and
mine is used for hunting a lot actually, ton more room when you get whatever to put it in the back and you have thousands lbs you can be on the 700 vs throwing it on the rack like a atv and having to tie it down and only a quarter of the weight allowed

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!