Testing the 2024 Talon 1000 with SHOWA Shocks at HammerTown USA.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

Testing the 2024 Talon 1000 with SHOWA Shocks​

It's early June, and the HondaSxS Club's Pioneer Takeover is in full swing. This year, we had some special visitors from Honda making rounds, seeing owner rigs, asking lots of questions, and gathering feedback. One frequent complaint from Talon riders was the stiffness of the Fox Shocks. Honda claims the 2024 Talon with the Showa Shocks is designed to address these concerns. Shortly after my return, I received an invite to test the new Showa Shocks.

2024 Updates to the Honda Talon 1000 with SHOWA Shocks​

Outside of the new SHOWA Shocks, there are no additional updates to the Talon 1000 for 2024. However, Honda left us with some confusion in 2023 with the carryover year "S-model," so we will clarify this now.

For all intents and purposes, it’s best to consider the 2023 "S-model" as a 2022 model. This temporary model's primary purpose was to push over excessive inventory while awaiting a late-year model changeover.

Mid-year, Honda introduced the real 2023 Talon 1000 (not the S model) along with the new Talon 1000 R4. Read more on the R4 here. This model included many welcomed upgrades that users really enjoy. Most notably, these upgrades include full coverage doors, upgraded power steering, a new return-to-center function, improved programming, Kenda tires, and a few other odds and ends. One feature I personally find positive is the retraction of the wheelbase by 1.5 inches in the front, which dramatically helps reduce the turning radius.

5h3r5pGl7FuKdjaL rQtw1634 h919 s no gmauthuser0

Test Driving the 2024 Talon 1000 with SHOWA Shocks​

Arriving at "THE FORTY," a desert complex near the King of the Hammers off-road area. Our goal was to give the 2024 SHOWA Shocks a thorough evaluation. We aimed to tackle various terrains, including open deserts, desert canyons, mountains, and Joshua Tree-filled areas. Starting near HammerTown, we rode through Rattlesnake Canyon, Cactus Flats, and other areas, covering approximately 80 miles in total.

The Design Approach​

For 2024, Honda switched to SHOWA Shocks for the base Talon for several reasons. The most significant reason is the flexibility and ease of tuning for the average user. The SHOWA Shocks allow for more control with a wider range of quick adjustments. Honda claims this results in a more comfortable ride with both high and low-speed rebound control with bottoming-out resistance.

Previously, the Fox shocks had only three levels of low-speed adjustment. The new SHOWA Shocks offer 12 clicks of low-speed adjustment and four clicks of high-speed adjustment. While these adjustments require basic tools, we were able to complete adjustments on all four shocks in just a few minutes while out on the trails.

One notable upgrade was the stainless steel shock sleeves. The Fox shocks were prone to wear and tear, as debris could damage the soft aluminum bodies, sometimes causing issues within a few thousand miles. The SHOWA Shocks incorporate a stainless sleeve that extends the shock's lifespan and prevents this issue.

240613 ruiz jonnum honda grom 1300 web full

Rider Report​

Our ride was quick and intense, with the hammer down more often than not. We sped through the desert mountains, battling dust and heat. The speed kept the wind in my face, making for a decent ride. At several points, we hit maximum speed, reaching the rev limiter a few times throughout the day.
Starting off, we encountered sand and whoops. The 4-seater ideal for this terrain. I requested a maximum soft setting to feel the limits, but it was too soft and had me all over the trail. Switching to full hard provided more control but made the ride too stiff. Finally, we settled on about 6 slow and 3 fast, which was the sweet spot for this adventure. During faster runs, I tried to bottom out the shocks in full soft, but didn't want to push it too hard. Despite my caution, I ended up with a flat after hitting a rock in the X4 through the desert mountains taking a hit to a rear tire.

240613 ruiz jonnum honda grom 1438 web full

Requesting a Slower Ride​

As an East Coast rider, 74 mph on tight wooded trails isn't my thing. I requested a slower pace, between 10-30 mph, for family and beginner riders. To test this, I had to request a side adventure with full soft settings on both low and high-speed compression. My goal was to compare my personal Talon with Fox shocks set to click 1 against the SHOWA at MAX SOFT. I found an uphill rocky section near "KOH Back Door" and did a few slower crawling loops. I only had about 10 minutes for this test before packing up for the day.

240613 ruiz jonnum honda grom 1739 web full

Results of the East Coast-Style Ride​

Overall, the SHOWA Shocks provided a much softer ride compared to the Fox. The adjustability of the SHOWA allows for a setup suitable for almost anyone looking for a more factory ride. During my side adventure, I navigated rocky trails at a slower pace, and the ride was pleasant. The SHOWA Shocks were noticeably softer out of the box compared to the Fox. I even tried to replicate the hard "thump" at full drop that the Fox shocks often exhibit, but couldn't. Personally, I use limit straps to prevent that issue.

240613 ruiz jonnum honda grom 1058 web full

Shown Shortcomings​

The SHOWA Shocks do have a few shortcomings. The most significant is the lack of spring pre-load adjustability. The Showa has a fixed spring, meaning there is zero pre-load adjustment. When questioned about this design choice, Honda stood by their decision, mentioning that a user could see a difference of about 2 inches between full soft and full hard. Additionally, the Showa lacks a cross-over ring.

2OqUieZlmXKzV8eKpdNZw1633 h919 s no gmauthuser0

The Tender Spring​

We spent some time with the Honda techs trying to understand the purpose of the top springs. Many people think this spring should have some life (spring) at stock settings. Honda referred to this as 1G, (one machine weight, gravity), meaning the spring is designed to absorb more an unloaded or between resting and fully extended state.

240613 ruiz jonnum honda grom 1536 web full

Overall Impressions​

It's too early to make a definitive judgment, but the SHOWA Shocks seem to be an improvement over the Fox QS3's. They offer more quick adjustment settings on the trail and will be a great option for those needing a more stock sport machine. However, more advanced riders will always prefer shocks that offer greater tunability. My final thoughts are still open and hinge on needing more seat time in the East Coast woods to provide a solid opinion on the SHOWA Shock upgrade for 2024.

Additional pictures and info:

17195342535201719534318085 240613 ruiz jonnum honda grom 1348 web full 240613 ruiz jonnum honda grom 1201 web full NS36a5GEb7gWbaPYcBTew1633 h919 s no gmauthuser0  dGgJvzwr 7kEL7YFjwKw1634 h919 s no gmauthuser0 240613 ruiz jonnum honda grom 1397 web full 240612 ruiz jonnum honda grom 0563 web full 240613 ruiz jonnum honda grom 1366 web full 240611 ruiz jonnum honda grom 0085 web full

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
To add, I'm going to try and find a 2024 Talon 1000 to test more east coast style riding this fall.
Maybe @GovtMule can provide some input. However I do not know if he has had any seat time in a Fox model to compare.
stay turned.

As my final decision is open. I welcome anyone else who has the new 2024 with Showa Shocks to post your thoughts.
thanks.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
To add, I'm going to try and find a 2024 Talon 1000 to test more east coast style riding this fall.
Maybe @GovtMule can provide some input. However I do not know if he has had any seat time in a Fox model to compare.
stay turned.

As my final decision is open. I welcome anyone else who has the new 2024 with Showa Shocks to post your thoughts.
thanks.
I don’t have much more than about .8 miles in a Fox shocked machine. Hopefully Honda won’t disappoint and I’ll be pleased with my purchase!

I plan on making the most out of the 2024 R with the Showa shocks so time will tell.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I don’t have much more than about .8 miles in a Fox shocked machine. Hopefully Honda won’t disappoint and I’ll be pleased with my purchase!

I plan on making the most out of the 2024 R with the Showa shocks so time will tell.
I think the Showa set-up will be fine considering the pace of most group rides and the speed at which seems to preserve your machine. Maybe we can swap machines for 30 minutes or so @ Mom this year and get an unbiased by the seat of the pants comparison.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think the Showa set-up will be fine considering the pace of most group rides and the speed at which seems to preserve your machine. Maybe we can swap machines for 30 minutes or so @ Mom this year and get an unbiased by the seat of the pants comparison.
Sounds good to me. I will be all set up by then.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The no preload adjustment thing really bothers me. Guys adding aftermarket cages, beds full of pack out boxes, spare tires and fuel cans and all the other heavy accessories some like to pile on will have to change springs to get their ride height back even if they only loose an inch. That's no Bueno in my book.

I do like the single spring and tender setup though. It's much easier to accurately control a single spring rate than it is dual rate setups so the chances of the factory getting the valving close to perfect out of the box is much higher.

In the long travel offroad suspension world you only want enough spring rate with roughly 1" preload on it to hold the car up at static ride height. The valving in the shocks should do everything else that needs doing from there.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I'm thinking about buying a 2025 2 seat Talon R to replace my 2019 Talon R. My 2023 Talon R 4-seater needs more ride height so I'm working on that now. Hopefully Honda will have a fully set up race model close to the race teams or a much-improved factory Turbo for 2025. If someone has a heavy load in the Showa shock model, there may be some spring spacers available. My 2011 RZR 900 didn't have crossover rings and the tender springs had to be replaced at around 4,000 miles. The springs were 1 1/2 inch shorter than new springs. Also, the springs were squared out instead of being round. The upper Showa springs may be stiff enough, so they don't coil bind.

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Who has had their Fox shocks wear out the aluminum body?
And what do you think about SHOWA going with the stainless steel?

Fox shock example.
436766706 7348894818565224 6242275022009194718 n

And new Stainless sleeve on the SHOWA's.
Hn9I6OF xQ5AxJwCK8pPQw513 h911 s no gmauthuser0On3wz70 u8AfXFk8ecVDvw512 h911 s no gmauthuser0

Last edited:
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

View attachment 435582
😳 WTH???.....which corner is that on? Looks to be around 1/8" worn down 😬 did you clean that up or did it wear out the threads smooth?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
😳 WTH???.....which corner is that on? Looks to be around 1/8" worn down 😬 did you clean that up or did it wear out the threads smooth?
Not mine..
But mine were wearing some. It seems to be a common issue.
I put a shock cover on mine to help slow it down.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
We need more info about the worn shock to determine exactly why that happened but that's normally caused by cheap ass springs bowing and rubbing the shock body. Use high quality springs like Eibach, Swift or Hypercoil and the bowing will never be a problem.

You don't need stainless sleeves on the shock bodies if the springs chosen by the manufacturer are not China garbage.

Last edited:
SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com

Fox shock example.
View attachment 435582

And new Stainless sleeve on the SHOWA's.
View attachment 435583View attachment 435584
This seems to be incredibly common with the Fox shocks. I've seen it in all the SxS forums (Popo, Can-Am, Kawie, etc.). So common that I'm starting to see more and more aftermarket companies advertising stainless shock body sleeves.

Aftermarket springs from ST seem to compound the problem even more. It doesn't seem to happen as fast or as bad with Eibach or ZBroz springs, but the problem is still there.

I see guys jumping in saying that the springs must be clocked wrong, but it seems it happens no matter how they're clocked.

advertisement