The 2021 Rimrocker Round Trip Overland Trek

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
When you say sticker are you talking about the NM nonres sticker? If so does it qualify as a license plate for the Utah streets? I am planning to get my Colorado and Utah ORV tags in July, but an still unsure about how to get a street license plate.
Yes Sir...good for NM not this ride.

Reactions: TimG
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
When you say sticker are you talking about the NM nonres sticker? If so does it qualify as a license plate for the Utah streets? I am planning to get my Colorado and Utah ORV tags in July, but an still unsure about how to get a street license plate.
My wife will be going for a metal plate. I’ll post here what she finds out. Idaho is still a go as well.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
My wife will be going for a metal plate. I’ll post here what she finds out. Idaho is still a go as well.
I have my ID Resident plate and I'm guessing the UT and CO stickers just go on the back of the 700. I guess I'll make an alum plate to mount the ID plate with space for the NM, CO and UT stickers. That seems adequate per the requirements I read.

BTW, ID DMV does not issue the year sticker anymore. They are handled by ID Parks and Recreation Dept. and cost $12.

It might be wise to put out our "standard" way of displaying these so everyone on the ride is consistent.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have my ID Resident plate and I'm guessing the UT and CO stickers just go on the back of the 700. I guess I'll make an alum plate to mount the ID plate with space for the NM, CO and UT stickers. That seems adequate per the requirements I read.

BTW, ID DMV does not issue the year sticker anymore. They are handled by ID Parks and Recreation Dept. and cost $12.

It might be wise to put out our "standard" way of displaying these so everyone on the ride is consistent.
The Utah OHV sticker for sure goes on the rear. My recollection is that Colorado’s goes on the front drivers side. Thanks for the heads up on the ID year sticker!!! 👍

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That’s not a bad idea at all. I already have my plate installed high in the back so it can be seen over my tear drop trailer....
0F60FCCA 573B 42C9 B775 D90345E4B1F5

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
That’s not a bad idea at all. I already have my plate installed high in the back so it can be seen over my tear drop trailer....
View attachment 259813
Looks like Macgruder.
I thought about putting mine up there but the I need to run a tag light up there too.The little trailer I'm building is tagged so I can use it with trucks or cars also. I thought about a tear drop...maybe next Winter.

Reactions: Montecresto
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey Monte,
Just to let you know, we called the Inca Inn to check if they take pets and they do. We reserved a room for us the night of 31 Aug and check out 2 Sep 21. It was $229 for 2 nights. Clerk was difficult to understand so I'm not sure if that goes against the 10 rooms you reserved or not but that sounds like the $100 rate plus tax and fee for the honor of staying in Moab.

• Haha
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hey Monte,
Just to let you know, we called the Inca Inn to check if they take pets and they do. We reserved a room for us the night of 31 Aug and check out 2 Sep 21. It was $229 for 2 nights. Clerk was difficult to understand so I'm not sure if that goes against the 10 rooms you reserved or not but that sounds like the $100 rate plus tax and fee for the honor of staying in Moab.
Perfect....

advertisement
YoungCountry

YoungCountry

Sep 3, 2018
US
I forget who posted that went to the site and had no problem registering their vehicle in New Mexico and already received the sticker........ my question is back to tags.... I don’t even know if New Mexico has tags for OHV......
and I prefer that someone else do all the research and spend all the time and money..... then let me know the easiest way to do it.......
I heard you just give them your VIN: and they more less register it as a motorcycle. I’m not sure how true this is

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
I heard you just give them your VIN: and they more less register it as a motorcycle. I’m not sure how true this is
We got the NM sticker but no plate since I have a resident ID plate and only needed the sticker to operate in NM. Basically, just pay the $7 and provide mailing address.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
We got the NM sticker but no plate since I have a resident ID plate and only needed the sticker to operate in NM. Basically, just pay the $7 and provide mailing address.
That sticker is not going to help people on this ride. If non residents can get a metal plate for street legal, that would. My wife has yet to go to the DMV here but I’ll be leaning on her this week....🤞

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
For an OHV sticker yes, that’s true. But that’s only good for NM. And the Rimrocker doesn’t go through NM.

You know we’re already past the half way point. With less than 6 months till rendezvous. You boys down there better get busy outfitting you’re rides with the required equipment and securing your street legal status, discussing gear, how to pack it, water proofing, etc. equipment details are in the op....

This is going to be our 3rd cross country and these aren’t rides you just show up to like Barney.......😎

I posted a pretty detailed report of my findings last week in Montrose and Moab. You might check that out as well.

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I am going to have all the street legal equipment installed within the next couple weeks, however I still have not yet seen a clear path forward for getting a plate. From what I have read it appears that I can legally ride to the gas station in Moab at East Spanish Trail Rd with just the ORV pass, and if that is true then I can store my UTV at Moab Valley Storage and Uber to the hotel. I haven't given up on a license plate but am coming up with alternate plans just encase because I am going to do the Rimrocker ride. I have already test loaded my P500 with all the camping gear, food, water (5 gal), gas (5 gal), severe weather gear, spare parts and tools for the trip.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I am going to have all the street legal equipment installed within the next couple weeks, however I still have not yet seen a clear path forward for getting a plate. From what I have read it appears that I can legally ride to the gas station in Moab at East Spanish Trail Rd with just the ORV pass, and if that is true then I can store my UTV at Moab Valley Storage and Uber to the hotel. I haven't given up on a license plate but am coming up with alternate plans just encase because I am going to do the Rimrocker ride. I have already test loaded my P500 with all the camping gear, food, water (5 gal), gas (5 gal), severe weather gear, spare parts and tools for the trip.
I love it. That’s how it’s suppose to be done. 👍👍
Thinking along your lines, I did inquire about Moab Uber and was told there’s one guy and he’s not that dependable....🤔

My wife is going to go to the DMV office Monday to confirm this, but on line, their website says they are shut down due to Covid and the issuance of registrations, plates and stickers will resume when Covid is over and the office reopens.....😳

Again, I’ll post here what she learns. She’s also been researching Arizona and will be calling them tomorrow as well.

So Keebler, have you contacted Idaho? If not, pick a DMV office in a small town and give them a call. That’s what I did two years ago to get my plate. I was able to do everything by email, and for under $30.00

I used the DMV in Grangeville...

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilgrim
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
ID DMV is issuing plates from Boise and I was told they are at least 6 weeks out for delivery. I was just getting a plate for small trailers. My SXS plate took at least that long and I submitted request in late January....getting worse I'm told by DMV.

I just bought a mini bike and was told... submit for plate and use the online printout until you see the plate. Sticker come from ID Parks and Recreation or a local vender.

China bug has slowed things for sure. At least ID is open and happy to be here.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@WhiteLightning and I have been discussing as a last ditch effort, reversing the order of things and doing the first day rendezvous at Moab, trailering out to Spanish Valley and riding to Montrose and back. We would all have our trailers at Moab that way and could trailer to the hotel and any trail heads we wish to ride.

But that will require several changes, including using a different hotel in Moab as there isn’t sufficient parking for that at the Inca Inn.....

If we make that change it won’t be until all attempts for registration for everyone have been exhausted...

Reactions: ByronM and Pilgrim
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
@WhiteLightning and I have been discussing as a last ditch effort, reversing the order of things and doing the first day rendezvous at Moab, trailering out to Spanish Valley and riding to Montrose and back. We would all have our trailers at Moab that way and could trailer to the hotel and any trail heads we wish to ride.

But that will require several changes, including using a different hotel in Moab as there isn’t sufficient parking for that at the Inca Inn.....

If we make that change it won’t be until all attempts for registration for everyone have been exhausted...
Seems simpler and makes sense for those who may want to visit the sites in and around Moab. I have pretty much done that alone but I suspect the copilot would like to do that. I'd be happy to do this in reverse. There are probably parking lots we could use in or around Moab. Wife and I discussed going Southwest out of Moab then home the Southern route.

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I am a bit confused, wouldn't riding the course in reverse without street plates just put the problem of getting to a the hotel in Montrose instead of in Moab? Don't get me wrong, I am going either way, just trying to understand.

Reactions: Pilgrim
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!