P1000m5 The Rebuild And Life Of "clutch".

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hell yeah I'm a hold out! Look how long it took me to get aftermarket shocks lol. Look for some videos of me going up slate rock. Basically a big sheet of slate going straight up lol
I’m like you on the hold out thing. I haven’t done it either! It’s ben working great.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’m like you on the hold out thing. I haven’t done it either! It’s ben working great.
My honest opinion on clutches is some machines may never need them, all machines and conditions are different. Someone could not have problems with them forever on one machine then get in another and have issues immediately. I know that story very well! I wouldn’t have been pushing for our update as hard as I have without previous issues with our previous rig, however this one seems stronger. Plus once you have to change out a set in the deep woods while raining at night with you’re family watching your outlook changes drastically!
They have shown though to give over 10 times the resistance to error so not only will I be more comfortable but maybe I’ll start allowing family to drive it again like days of old Honda’s.
Im the type that if it’s not broken don’t fix it but one thing is when clutches go being a shared oil with the engine they can cause issues to the engine. Heard of lower end issues caused from this so it’s kind of a preventative measure as well.

Last edited:
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
My honest opinion on clutches is some machines may never need them, all machines and conditions are different. Someone could not have problems with them forever on one machine then get in another and have issues immediately. I know that story very well! I wouldn’t have been pushing for our update as hard as I have without previous issues with our previous rig, however this one seems stronger. But they have shown though to give over 10 times the resistance to error so not only will I be more comfortable but maybe I’ll start allowing family to drive it again like days of old Honda’s.
Im the type that if it’s not broken don’t fix it but one thing is when clutches go being a shared oil with the engine they can cause issues to the engine. Heard of lower end issues caused from this so it’s kind of a preventative measure as well.
No, no, no! Don’t let goobers drive your machine! Well, Except me. :):D:):)

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My honest opinion on clutches is some machines may never need them, all machines and conditions are different. Someone could not have problems with them forever on one machine then get in another and have issues immediately. I know that story very well! I wouldn’t have been pushing for our update as hard as I have without previous issues with our previous rig, however this one seems stronger. But they have shown though to give over 10 times the resistance to error so not only will I be more comfortable but maybe I’ll start allowing family to drive it again like days of old Honda’s.
Yes, I agree with all of what you said and with the pst issues you’ve had, I’d do the same thing. I take real good care of the drivetrain of my machine I use to be in drivetrain for ford at Roush and seen how things can go wrong, it’s made me a picky ass about fresh fluids lol. I just have a hard time doing something to something when it’s working fine. But on the other hand it’s free! Don’t help that my delers service dept sucks and messed me up one time. But I understand what your saying. Someday I may do it when I find a better delar that I feel more confident to handle it.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
It’s a Honda you should be able too. Im not concerned with people driving the Yami so I shouldn’t the Honda either!
Yami = easy to fix! Honda = complicated, expensive, frustration, hard to fix. Goobers= f***ed up machines, and no offer to fix or pay for damages.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yes, I agree with all of what you said and with the pst issues you’ve had, I’d do the same thing. I take real good care of the drivetrain of my machine I use to be in drivetrain for ford at Roush and seen how things can go wrong, it’s made me a picky ass about fresh fluids lol. I just have a hard time doing something to something when it’s working fine. But on the other hand it’s free! Don’t help that my delers service dept sucks and messed me up one time. But I understand what your saying. Someday I may do it when I find a better delar that I feel more confident to handle it.
I fully understand what you’re saying about dealers. The ones in this area seem to have a few little issues with this thing. Hell if Honda would’ve just sent me the kit I sure as hell wouldn’t have let someone I don’t trust in there. It’s my machine I don’t like some pimple faced kid in high school touching s***

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yami = easy to fix! Honda = complicated, expensive, frustration, hard to fix. Goobers= f***ed up machines, and no offer to fix or pay for damages.
I agree. Wish Honda had done a jug head rather then an automotive style engine, and a separated trans would’ve been more bulletproof. But still it’s a Honda, and I’ve always been proud of Honda. Should be ok to toss the keys to my father without instructions...the update will help that.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Solid once again!
Ok so factory clutch update is done. New clutches 1,3,5,R are in as well. Last night I dug into the transmission and replaced one fiber and one steel in the 2,4,6 slot because they had a tiny bit of wear, wanted everything to be perfect and we felt just a little sluggishness on even clutches so back in I went. When I drained the machine I found it to be a qt low on oil so I’m a little upset at the dealer that installed the update.
Ran the relearn procedure after full oil change and cleaning the intake screen( I assume the dealer did this along with everything else but not leaving anything to chance after the low oil) everything went smoothly no issues. Was in and out of the transmission in 35min.
58B467F6 0FFA 4CF7 AC7F B33E55664EE8

My wife hasn’t driven this much as of late so it was her turn. Our back 40 is a pretty good place to run and there’s about 10acres to roam with heavy trees and hills. She’s always disliked low range for how jerky it is however does run that when necessary. Different story entirely from Ang. She loves low range now. She put almost 6 miles on it while I sat and enjoyed my beer.
Great night and we’re both excited for riding this weekend. It’s just going to be her and I so we we’re going to take the Wolverine for comfort but decided to bring Clutch instead. I spent some time checking the rig mechanically tightened just a couple things and did another alignment. Changed diffs to Lucas finally like our previous machines. She’s the roughest Pioneer out there body and ROPS wise, still has even some Tennessee mud from the shared parts from PJ but it’s a solid machine on mechanics. Needs tires and some cage work but it’s ready to go.
F8CE8F41 5846 45E9 916C FA39320F365B

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
AD7BC5AA 6AB5 4BF4 9DA4 623C35E19313
We’re loving the update. My wife is spending lots of time behind the wheel now happy as heck. Im having a hard time getting wheel time in. My daughter loves it too she took it out late by herself for firewood. Haven’t spent any time here without snow and it’s fun as heck, wound up bushwhacking yet again. Weather is great service isn’t lol. Hope everyone is doing good we’re still alive up here.
9FFF2B62 C8E2 4A37 BC1C C8E627CF2313

0D1A3C08 0871 4DDE BA34 7D4D8A56E322

AF322705 220B 4B07 A073 DB2B0880AAE3

8E35471F BE6F 4C0D 9FA4 C92E4FCFD2FD

3D31DD8E E372 4D03 A82D 7323A2CAEB23

Last edited:
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 86351 We’re loving the update. My wife is spending lots of time behind the wheel now happy as heck. Im having a hard time getting wheel time in. My daughter loves it too she took it out late by herself for firewood. Haven’t spent any time here without snow and it’s fun as heck, wound up bushwhacking yet again. Weather is great service isn’t lol. Hope everyone is doing good we’re still alive up here.
View attachment 86353 View attachment 86352
View attachment 86355
View attachment 86356

View attachment 86354
Looks like a great time

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Looks like a great time

It’s a good time however it’s a little short. Looking to leave our rigs up here and ride back into town with 100acre. Didn’t bring the Yami and my daughter is a little bummed because the trails are good. Planning on bringing everything back next weekend.
4A48B453 697C 42B8 81FE D72DD252FAB6

This place reminds me of the movie The Great Outdoors. I expect to see the Bald Headed Killer Bear lol D2D0E0AB B0B1 469F 8A9C 21AF97C0E7B8

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is a awesome looking place
It’s a good time however it’s a little short. Looking to leave our rigs up here and ride back into town with 100acre. Didn’t bring the Yami and my daughter is a little bummed because the trails are good. Planning on bringing everything back next weekend. View attachment 86360
This place reminds me of the movie The Great Outdoors. I expect to see the Bald Headed Killer Bear lol View attachment 86361

Last edited:
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I fully understand what you’re saying about dealers. The ones in this area seem to have a few little issues with this thing. Hell if Honda would’ve just sent me the kit I sure as hell wouldn’t have let someone I don’t trust in there. It’s my machine I don’t like some pimple faced kid in high school touching s***

I can always tell you what to order lol ;)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I can always tell you what to order lol ;)
Lol I know you could have and I almost went that route. Been a long road, 3 p1k5’s and a few issues for what are now service bulletins. There has been enough R&D from us lol.Its great to see Honda stepping up on the problems and continuing to try to build good machines, wish some other manufacturers would do that.
I’m happy the update finally came through for us, been trying to get this on the new machine since December, but she feels good, I believe in it as much as our first Pioneer 1000. I love this new machine and it’s going to get some love.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My daughter was loving the Honda this weekend. She’s very solid in the Yamaha but has been reserved in the 1000 since we had issues. She use to ask what mode or range to be in. After the update I simply said low when you think you should and go ride it, with a smile she said ok:)
This is why I’ve said for a long time it’s a Honda and it needs to be bulletproof like one. I wanted my family to be comfortable with it and not going by a set of parameters that didn’t exist prior. People are always explaining how to drive it and what needs to be done to save the clutches, that wasn’t an issue on our first one ever but shouldn’t be that way on any. Not a concern on other Honda’s.
My daughter didn’t even want to go this weekend because we were only bringing the Honda, she’s been scared of hurting it yet never has had reason to in the Wolverine.
I truly believe we a solid machine now that can be enjoyed from not just me but my family. It was a good weekend of readjustment and things have changed. For us that’s what this was all about in the beginning, family and friends not just one guys personal ride. It’s a good feeling to be back at it and see a smile from certain people.
6689D0D3 4350 462B 83A0 0325C94C6E72

7788FCEB 7219 45FD 9C66 59EB20BDFD0D

Last edited:
Miss_Oak

Miss_Oak

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 500
My daughter was loving the Honda this weekend. She’s very solid in the Yamaha but has been reserved in the 1000 since we had issues. She use to ask what mode or range to be in. After the update I simply said low when you think you should and go ride it, with a smile she said ok:)
This is why I’ve said for a long time it’s a Honda and it needs to be bulletproof like one. I wanted my family to be comfortable with it and not going by a set of parameters that didn’t exist prior. People are always explaining how to drive it and what needs to be done to save the clutches, that wasn’t an issue on our first one ever but shouldn’t be that way on any. Not a concern on other Honda’s.
My daughter didn’t even want to go this weekend because we were only bringing the Honda, she’s been scared of hurting it yet never has had reason to in the Wolverine.
I truly believe we a solid machine now that can be enjoyed from not just me but my family. It was a good weekend of readjustment and things have changed. For us that’s what this was all about in the beginning, family and friends not just one guys personal ride. It’s a good feeling to be back at it and see a smile from certain people.
View attachment 86509
View attachment 86510

You bet! As a woman thats why i have always loved Honda! Tuff and Reliable, get on it and go and ride like the wind without a care in the world. And honestly I'm far from the best at even keeping up with the maintenance on my 300 and it just keeps going and going. The honda name to me means tuff tuff tuff!!!:)

Im so happy you and your family finally got a good machine!!!:) But boy am i sorry for all the money, time and frustration you all have been thru getting to this point!

You're dialed in now tho, wild times ahead for Clutch and her Basket!!!:) Haha Happy for you and yours!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You bet! As a woman thats why i have always loved Honda! Tuff and Reliable, get on it and go and ride like the wind without a care in the world. And honestly I'm far from the best at even keeping up with the maintenance on my 300 and it just keeps going and going. The honda name to me means tuff tuff tuff!!!:)

Im so happy you and your family finally got a good machine!!!:) But boy am i sorry for all the money, time and frustration you all have been thru getting to this point!

You're dialed in now tho, wild times ahead for Clutch and her Basket!!!:) Haha Happy for you and yours!
Thank you so much MissOak! It’s been a long roller coaster for sure and I’m not bashful about saying it. Other then one weekend basically we haven’t done anything to this rig. No lights work stereo isn’t fully hooked up, no heat fans. Hell it doesn’t even have back up lights, and people that know me...lol. Been scared to do anything more. The smile on my family’s faces this weekend showed all I needed.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!