P500 The electric "supercharger" = fact or myth?

D

Duckhunt

So i guess I got "too much time on my hands" again, as all my peers with kids tell me time and time again. I am in the process of hooking up an Attwood 4" 1749-4 "bilge blower" on the snorkel side of my air box. Just for kicks and fun!

On that note... This will not be forced induction for anyone with wild ideas on a $30 turbo. Hence the supercharger in quotes in the title. You cannot create boost with a fan. This IS simply a fan, and a fan moves air, does not force induction or create pressure like an air pump or compressor (like a turbocharger or supercharger). However, what it could do is help flow, or natural aspiration. Through my engine tinkering I have definitely realized how little these 500 heads flow. The last time I had my head off, I opened up the exhaust and intake ports and really polished the exhaust port and combustion chamber. It gave it noticeable gains and my PC-V fuel map is a little richer, so I know it's moving more air.

Doing the math with 561 CC, at 7200 rpm, that is 72 cfm airflow at 100% volumetric efficiency. So if this 235 cfm "fan" is even 35% accurate to spec, I should have less vacuum. Again not boost, but less vacuum. I did order a vacuum gauge but won't be here till Monday. I am also keeping my snorkel setup intact in case this is a worthless laughable test.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Duckhunt

Right now I'm, just waiting on one PVC adapter. If I knew the mailman was going to be later today, I would have made the 75 minute round trip to Home Depot yesterday or this morning. But it should be here today. I am running the fan to the cig lighter temporarily and no "snorkel" after the blower in case I ditch the idea.

My "stock" snorkel
IMG 04581

IMG 04571

IMG 04571 IMG 04581

D

Duckhunt

I also don't have a good way of time/speed testing. I tried to do 0-30 mph times, but my Lowrance fishfinder GPS is a good second behind, so I used the factory speedo and was getting 8.5-9 seconds with my "stock" snorkel. With the @906UP gears that should be 35-36 mph. To do comparisons with the blower, I'll just bring a passenger and have them accurately time the factory speedo to 0-30. The speed won't be accurate but it will be a good comparison with an on and off.

And right now waiting for one adapter.
IMG 04601

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also don't have a good way of time/speed testing. I tried to do 0-30 mph times, but my Lowrance fishfinder GPS is a good second behind, so I used the factory speedo and was getting 8.5-9 seconds with my "stock" snorkel. With the @906UP gears that should be 35-36 mph. To do comparisons with the blower, I'll just bring a passenger and have them accurately time the factory speedo to 0-30. The speed won't be accurate but it will be a good comparison with an on and off.

And right now waiting for one adapter. View attachment 232771
Fun little project to watch and learn from. Like a teenage stalker I’m following ya.

D

Duckhunt

My part came! Good ole Amazon I got a box of 4 adapters instead of 1 for $1.90 LOL. I did some 0-30 tests but very tough watching speedo and using a separate stop watch, etc. The difference was minimal and our times were all over the place, wasn't working out. Plus I should have played with my clutch setting, must not have much play as shifts seemed long. However, after running test after test, there is a moderate gain on low end. You could just hear the engine bogging much less. The two tests I did that made the most difference, and I wish we just recorded videos instead of playing with the stop watch, was 11-20mph (all factory speedo) in 4th gear going up an incline, and starting out in 3rd 0-15 on flat ground. Starting in 3rd before was a second or 2 of bogging. Now with the fan on it almost feels like starting in 2nd.

Today is a bad cold & windy day, but I'll post pics of the completed setup, and later this week I'll try to take videos of those tests.

One other note anything above an idle I have to drop my head to the seat backrest to hear the fan, which is perfect. Can't hear it under normal driving but can still check to make sure it's working without stopping.

So in conclusion I will be permanently wiring it in. For trail/forest road riding probably won't notice anything, but for yard work, crawling, towing/pulling, obstacles, or hairy slow hills, I definitely feel a gain! There are other 4" fans with higher cfm ratings I might try, this one just has a good brand name and is more compact.

Last edited by a moderator:
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Check out Cletus Mcfarland on youtube... he did a few different electric turbos on a few different engines and had some decent results.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Every day should be spent trying to learn something. Good job by you! And it spawned blown LS ads under the thread😁

D

Duckhunt

Check out Cletus Mcfarland on youtube... he did a few different electric turbos on a few different engines and had some decent results.
I just did. Thank you. Looks like some of his mods are elec turbos claiming to be actual turbos. Interesting. I've heard of it but didn't know it was actually a "thing".

D

Duckhunt

Every day should be spent trying to learn something. Good job by you! And it spawned blown LS ads under the thread😁
Thanks for the kind words @Splorin ! I believe in that exact principle. I love figuring out stuff myself so I know what I know... if that makes sense!

Reactions: 906UP
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It's been done on a 700...

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!