P1000 The I-4WD System

J

JTW

They're getting more and more like off-road cars, so we should expect crossover technology.. how many of us would have EVER thought there would be as great a market as there is for 15-20k plus 4 wheelers?? I see some adavantages to the i4wd system but it's just not for me, at least yet.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
They're getting more and more like off-road cars, so we should expect crossover technology.. how many of us would have EVER thought there would be as great a market as there is for 15-20k plus 4 wheelers?? I see some adavantages to the i4wd system but it's just not for me, at least yet.

Honda is upping the ante we all can agree with that. It's not just more suspension and power anymore. I'm in love with the transmission especially after having belts but at some point technology is going to throw away some of us for lack of being able to diagnose a problem and fix it in a reasonable manner. I don't bring my truck to the shop I sure as he'll don't want to be required to bring in my sxs imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Honda is upping the ante we all can agree with that. It's not just more suspension and power anymore. I'm in love with the transmission especially after having belts but at some point technology is going to throw away some of us for lack of being able to diagnose a problem and fix it in a reasonable manner. I don't bring my truck to the shop I sure as he'll don't want to be required to bring in my sxs imo.

Exactly.. sometimes kiss really is the best route! Particularly on off road vehicles!

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Great point! I love me some Honda quality, but reguardless of the manufacture they still break!

AggieVet

AggieVet

Aug 10, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just skimmed through this real quick. so I may have missed a few things.
Trust me, Honda has done their research on this. They have published a good handful if not a dozen patents related to this setup. Honda claims its the NEW STANDARD and I do believe them. I think it is going to be something like we have never seen. I'll try to post some more of the patents soon.

Trail riding, mud riding, any riding. Put it in I-4WD and you don't have to worry about it. It will lock the limited slip when needed and disengage it when it does not. Remember the old days riding your Rancher, you would get stuck and pull the front breaks and both wheels would spin. That's what this is going to do without you even knowing. Traction when you need it and ease of control when you don't.

It is also able to control which wheel gets the most break when stopping. For example, when loaded the rear wheels will get the most break power while the fronts only require light power. This will be a great feature for northern areas where snow and ice are common.

Its NOT ABS.
Some have labeled it as ABS!!! NO, its Traction control for your Pioneer! There is a difference. Nothing I have read has suggested a ABS type system.

Like @CumminsPusher said, No one has even tested it yet. But I expect that to change soon as Honda is going to what to show it off. I would be looking for media demo days by Jan.
That is what I was hoping the system is. It has to be a good thing or else why put it in the machine?

Reactions: JTW and sharp
cschomber63

cschomber63

Nov 14, 2016
Beloit

Bingo a niche in every market

Reactions: JTW
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am excited about this new system. I hunt lions all winter from Nov.-April here in CO. We are in snow every day. I've been holding off buying another PK3 until the 17s come out. I'm glad I waited.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think it will depend entirely on the type of front diff they are using. All they are saying is that it is a "torque sensing" front diff. That means it will not be like the Can-Am Criscolock, which is a speed sensing front diff.

There are torque sensing front diffs that are equal to a locking front differential. Something like a Truetrac or a Quaife for all intents and purposes actually do "lock" the axles together via worm/planetary gears instead of clutches.

However, I bet it is a standard Honda Trax-loc, which isn't geared, it is a roller clutch. 2014 Honda FourTrax Foreman Expands TraxLok 4x4 Capabilities When one wheel starts to spin faster than the other, it will engage and lock them together up to a limit of XXX ft lbs of torque and then it will start to slip and only one wheel will drive. I believe this new system will then apply the brakes to the spinning wheel, which should will likely then allow the diff the opportunity to "lock" again and hopefully get both wheels spinning again. Same as the "one weird trick" Honda ATV method of getting both wheels to pull at least until the same conditions stop the wheel spinning again.

The big advantages is that it will probably give you some % (Who knows, maybe 90%) of the ability of a locked front Diff without needing to stop and more importantly it will protect the front diff from damage since it will slip before it breaks. It will also be easier to steer the rest of the time.

Honestly a locked rear Diff and 3WD will likely get you out of and through most problems out there and a mechanically locking front diff is really handy in only certain situations that if you normally avoid, you won't need anyway. Plus, other than some very specific conditions, you should probably use a winch instead.;) Honda probably knows that most of us (myself included) aren't going to be doing things in their $20k SXS that will need a locking front diff.

And honestly, if you are going to be doing those things, the weak point is going to be the Honda DCT clutch design more than the limited slip front diff and you should really go with something that uses a different design "clutching" system that will give you more instantaneous torque and constant power band (like the snowmobile clutch) for mudding or something like a torque convertor for really slow rock crawling.

I think that the i4WD Honda will sell well. Especially to people who really like the "set it and forget it" systems that Can Am and Polaris use.

I think Honda missed the boat however and should have made this the default 4WD mode but then added a true locked front diff that would have disabled the i4WD. They could have said, "See we give you what Polaris and Can Am give you but we also let YOU be in control" and had something that was vastly superior to both. That said, the i4WD will be similar and superior to the Polaris ADC/EBS system going downhill.

Info on different limited slip front diff designs:

Limited-slip differential - Wikipedia

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hmm you pose an interesting question. First off let's remember that at this point nobody knows how the i4wd will perform because nobody's driven or tested it. But, I think that we all (myself included) assume it is basically an All Wheel Drive system like what we've seen offered on automobiles for awhile (think Subaru). So assuming that's what it is, I feel that the greatest advantage of an AWD system is realized in the snow. I remember reading about a jeep club that rode snow regularly and they actually preferred limited slip diffs over lockers. I believe the reasoning was having all tires breaking traction at the same time would cause their rigs to slide sideways, sometimes off the trail, quite often in those conditions.

Don't forget, rally cars love AWD!

Depending on your intended use, i4wd has it's place I'm sure. My biggest problem with it is I DON'T want a machine that "thinks" for me. I'm driving so I want to drive! Not to mention if this system breaks I sure can't fix it, don't like that.

Rally cars use a completely different limited slip clutch design (Quaife originally) that is for all intents and purposes a locked differential when it starts to slip. I Honda were to offer something like that, particularly in their sport machine, it WOULD dominate. But from what I gather those are very expensive and quite heavy.

J

JTW

I think it will depend entirely on the type of front diff they are using. All they are saying is that it is a "torque sensing" front diff. That means it will not be like the Can-Am Criscolock, which is a speed sensing front diff.

There are torque sensing front diffs that are equal to a locking front differential. Something like a Truetrac or a Quaife for all intents and purposes actually do "lock" the axles together via worm/planetary gears instead of clutches.

However, I bet it is a standard Honda Trax-loc, which isn't geared, it is a roller clutch. 2014 Honda FourTrax Foreman Expands TraxLok 4x4 Capabilities When one wheel starts to spin faster than the other, it will engage and lock them together up to a limit of XXX ft lbs of torque and then it will start to slip and only one wheel will drive. I believe this new system will then apply the brakes to the spinning wheel, which should will likely then allow the diff the opportunity to "lock" again and hopefully get both wheels spinning again. Same as the "one weird trick" Honda ATV method of getting both wheels to pull at least until the same conditions stop the wheel spinning again.

The big advantages is that it will probably give you some % (Who knows, maybe 90%) of the ability of a locked front Diff without needing to stop and more importantly it will protect the front diff from damage since it will slip before it breaks. It will also be easier to steer the rest of the time.

Honestly a locked rear Diff and 3WD will likely get you out of and through most problems out there and a mechanically locking front diff is really handy in only certain situations that if you normally avoid, you won't need anyway. Plus, other than some very specific conditions, you should probably use a winch instead.;) Honda probably knows that most of us (myself included) aren't going to be doing things in their $20k SXS that will need a locking front diff.

And honestly, if you are going to be doing those things, the weak point is going to be the Honda DCT clutch design more than the limited slip front diff and you should really go with something that uses a different design "clutching" system that will give you more instantaneous torque and constant power band (like the snowmobile clutch) for mudding or something like a torque convertor for really slow rock crawling.

I think that the i4WD Honda will sell well. Especially to people who really like the "set it and forget it" systems that Can Am and Polaris use.

I think Honda missed the boat however and should have made this the default 4WD mode but then added a true locked front diff that would have disabled the i4WD. They could have said, "See we give you what Polaris and Can Am give you but we also let YOU be in control" and had something that was vastly superior to both. That said, the i4WD will be similar and superior to the Polaris ADC/EBS system going downhill.

In regards to the last paragraph.. I agree! I would have bought one had that been the case... and probably preferred that. But I WANT a manual locking diff!

advertisement
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just skimmed through this real quick. so I may have missed a few things.
Trust me, Honda has done their research on this. They have published a good handful if not a dozen patents related to this setup. Honda claims its the NEW STANDARD and I do believe them. I think it is going to be something like we have never seen. I'll try to post some more of the patents soon.

Trail riding, mud riding, any riding. Put it in I-4WD and you don't have to worry about it. It will lock the limited slip when needed and disengage it when it does not. Remember the old days riding your Rancher, you would get stuck and pull the front breaks and both wheels would spin. That's what this is going to do without you even knowing. Traction when you need it and ease of control when you don't.

It is also able to control which wheel gets the most break when stopping. For example, when loaded the rear wheels will get the most break power while the fronts only require light power. This will be a great feature for northern areas where snow and ice are common.

Its NOT ABS.
Some have labeled it as ABS!!! NO, its Traction control for your Pioneer! There is a difference. Nothing I have read has suggested a ABS type system.

Like @CumminsPusher said, No one has even tested it yet. But I expect that to change soon as Honda is going to what to show it off. I would be looking for media demo days by Jan.

Not offense intended but Traction Control and ABS ARE the same system.

Now Honda may not be using the ABS functionality but it IS the same system.

Traction control is just ABS in reverse. Instead of sensing that the wheels are not turning and releasing the brake on the wheel that isn't turning to prevent loss of control, it senses that only one wheel is spinning and brakes that wheel to get the RPMS closer together so that the torque can hopefully be applied to both axles.

How do you think it is going to work?

I would be interested to see and very, very surprised if Honda "reinvented the wheel" or the differential braking system in this case for no reason. ABS system patents expired a while ago.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That's probably a good write up, but I don't like to read that much so I just skipped over it. I have ADD

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That's probably a good write up, but I don't like to read that much so I just skipped over it. I have ADD

:D

It isn't ADD, you are from Middle TN...:p

TLDR version for ADD and people from East of the TN river;):

Reactions: CashMoney
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
:D

It isn't ADD, you are from Middle TN...:p

TLDR version for ADD and people from East of the TN river;):

Don't hate on my TN people! Lol. I'll sum it up for you @sharp . Blah blah blah @Crow_Hunter wants to design the next Pioneer because nothing Honda can come up with will make him happy...

C

Calhoun

Apr 14, 2016
Michigan

I work on cars for a living and one thing that stands out to me is Honda is calling it a torque biasing limited slip. In my world this is not a clutched differential. This is a worm gear differential. If so this is great design when coupled with traction control. This set up lets you have traction to both wheels all the time at different rates. As long as your moving, power is applied to both wheels. The biggest draw back to this differential is when your stuck. Its one wheel peel. The way around this is to grab a brake on the wheel that's free and it tricks the diff in to thinking that side is pulling again, then the hole thing starts pulling again. This diff has been used for years in different applications and that was always the draw back for off road, they use to pull the parking brake when you got stuck back in the day. I really believe this is what your going to get with the I-4wd system. If so it will be an impressive set up.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I work on cars for a living and one thing that stands out to me is Honda is calling it a torque biasing limited slip. In my world this is not a clutched differential. This is a worm gear differential. If so this is great design when coupled with traction control. This set up lets you have traction to both wheels all the time at different rates. As long as your moving, power is applied to both wheels. The biggest draw back to this differential is when your stuck. Its one wheel peel. The way around this is to grab a brake on the wheel that's free and it tricks the diff in to thinking that side is pulling again, then the hole thing starts pulling again. This diff has been used for years in different applications and that was always the draw back for off road, they use to pull the parking brake when you got stuck back in the day. I really believe this is what your going to get with the I-4wd system. If so it will be an impressive set up.

While that is distinctly possible, if you will read the linked Honda information on the Trax-lok design is not a worm gear, it is a roller design which doesn't have the same locking force as a worm design.

The TraxLok 2WD/4WD system has long served riders well aboard Honda 4x4 ATVs. TraxLok utilizes a magnetic switching mechanism called an Electromagnetic Mechanical Clutch Unit (EMCU). This system actuates a mechanical roller clutch located on the driveshaft near the front differential. This two-way mechanical roller clutch incorporates a series of hardened-steel rollers that lock up in a mere six degrees of rotation, which makes for a smooth, virtually instantaneous response while either accelerating or decelerating on flat ground or on an incline.

I would be surprised if Honda designed a completely different differential design specifically for this application when they have been using the Trax-lok design for so long.

I have also read it is referred to it as a "torque sensing" as well as "torque biasing" which is the same terminology they use for the Honda Rincon which definitely doesn't have a worm gear front diff.

2017 FourTrax Rincon Specifications - Honda Powersports

If they are using a worm gear type of diff like a race car or a rally car, it would definitely equal to a locked diff and maybe superior to it with the traction control.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!