Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
While that is distinctly possible, if you will read the linked Honda information on the Trax-lok design is not a worm gear, it is a roller design which doesn't have the same locking force as a worm design.

The TraxLok 2WD/4WD system has long served riders well aboard Honda 4x4 ATVs. TraxLok utilizes a magnetic switching mechanism called an Electromagnetic Mechanical Clutch Unit (EMCU). This system actuates a mechanical roller clutch located on the driveshaft near the front differential. This two-way mechanical roller clutch incorporates a series of hardened-steel rollers that lock up in a mere six degrees of rotation, which makes for a smooth, virtually instantaneous response while either accelerating or decelerating on flat ground or on an incline.

I would be surprised if Honda designed a completely different differential design specifically for this application when they have been using the Trax-lok design for so long.

I have also read it is referred to it as a "torque sensing" as well as "torque biasing" which is the same terminology they use for the Honda Rincon which definitely doesn't have a worm gear front diff.

2017 FourTrax Rincon Specifications - Honda Powersports

If they are using a worm gear type of diff like a race car or a rally car, it would definitely equal to a locked diff and maybe superior to it with the traction control.
Well Crow maybe it is though. They are very proud of it obviously and they are reinventing the wheel by all rights so I guess we hope. I'd definitely like to at least see something improve if they are going to mess with such a sweet system. I'm truly hoping to eat some of my negativity on the subject I promise that. I'm still not sold on all the electronic braking for control but we'll see I'm trying not to be negative till it's proven. All we can truly do other then speculate is to wait.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!