DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
On and unrelated topic while looking the other day I found a P500 add on that is only available overseas. It was a dumb bed attachment as well as a storage box for under the hood that was accessible through a lid made into the hood.
LOL...yeah...i posted that bed in the PUB recently as the bed Honda should offer as an accessory.:D
I'd never seen a good side view. It's maybe a bit too long and messes with the looks, but I'd still take it over the current serving tray Honda sells as a "bed".

I'm actually intrigued by this model G. The 500 Pioneer is, for me, and used option only. I can't see paying for one new when i don't have any width restrictions. Esp when people are selling the base 700 for under $8000 (plus BS charges) recently. I like the ideal of a smaller machine, but the price is the #1 factor in why i might end up with a 500. Several in the area for under $6K...doesn't seem to be holding its value as well as the 700/1000 (the newer Auto's will be better in that regard). Good for someone like me who insists on playing a game they really can't afford...but in an ideal world, the 500 is maybe too small for me. So, like goldilocks, the MS Rangers/Prowlers are "just right" for what i want. Except they are made by less trustworthy brands. If Honda makes their own and DOESN'T do silly things like leave diff-lock off, I'll be the 1st in line.

So please don't vote against the Model G, guys. You aren't making a choice between the 2 with this. The 50" machine isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I should mention that Kymco,as far as i could find, has had very few issues with the 450 they sell (which Textron rebadged as the 500 Prowler). So maybe its unfair to dismiss it...

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
There are plenty of other sxs's on the market, we all knew what we were getting when we bought these machines...least amount of suspension travel, shortest wheel base, ugly as sh** and doesn't come with anything. That's why it was $8000.
We also knew that it had advantages over the rest, shorter turning radius, less likely to high point, smallest footprint for two people and gear, simple, cheap and bullet proof...what Honda built and they nailed it. That's what we paid for.
When the Suzuki Hayabusa came out, it was considered "ugly" by most anyone with eyes. The same bike is now considered iconic. and Suzuki would't dare mess with the shape much. I look at the 500 like that. Either I don't think its ugly...or its so ugly it comes off as cool. Not sure which.

There are a few guys who go back and forth about the 500 vs larger machines. About how the 500 can't do what the bigger machines can...yet they get bent and insist that the bigger machines can get in the same places (i'm excluding restricted trails here). People get upset, but they are just tools suited to different jobs...just like screwdrivers don't make good hammers, and vice-versa. I know places where the 500 would struggle...and i also grew up riding some trails that the 700/1000 wouldn't even fit on despite what some people insist. Doesn't make one or the other better. Just different. Too bad many don't see it that way.

Oh...and i can't think of a diplomatic way to say this, so I'll just say it: f*** the Clintons. Some of the most vile and despicable people on the face of the earth.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Honda sent me another email survey and it pretty much told me they were designing a new 57” p500 with dump bed and 8” suspension travel... I’m ready to buy one! I told them it needed a locker and 10 more mph on top end also!

View attachment 59837
Sounds like an even lower powered P700..? I'm totally not understanding this one. It appears that honda is going to bail on the 50" market. They may continue to offer the p5 50", but I'm thinking they aren't going to make any notable improvements to it. Hope I'm wrong.

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like an even lower powered P700..? I'm totally not understanding this one. It appears that honda is going to bail on the 50" market. They may continue to offer the p5 50", but I'm thinking they aren't going to make any notable improvements to it. Hope I'm wrong.

Who knows... It doesn’t get much lower powered than the 700... my P500 will outrun my cousins p700-4 from a dead stop to my top speed then he slowly passes me... and mine has bigger/heavier tires... I know his weighs more though... heck his sportsman 450 outran my rincon 680. I wish Honda would put a trans like in the P500 in the p700....

Last edited:
Reactions: JWB
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
The Original P5 (2015)....is wat Honda
needs to stick with....once the started adding
crap...more problems..P5 (original ) gives a guy
..a blank canvas..to paint his own...vision...
IMO...

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

I don't think they can do any real notable improvements to this platform. For more suspension travel they would have to give it a longer wheelbase. They could offer all the extra crap we put on, bigger tires, power steering, WE shocks, at the time of sale but you'd probably pay more for it doing it that way. They could do something with the cosmetics though, chop the top, front fenders, real doors and maybe some better seats.

Reactions: rocmar and JWB
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I don't think they can do any real notable improvements to this platform. For more suspension travel they would have to give it a longer wheelbase. They could offer all the extra crap we put on, bigger tires, power steering, WE shocks, at the time of sale but you'd probably pay more for it doing it that way. They could do something with the cosmetics though, chop the top, front fenders, real doors and maybe some better seats.
They could put a bigger engine in it and an f'n locker!!! And I would gladly pay more for it!

Reactions: CptOvo and trigger
I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have to admit at first and probably still do think the pioneer 500 is ugly as sin with the rear rack, but after joining the pioneer family, watching videos and reading the forum about the P500. The P500 is a badass machine, only thing I see it lacking is a front locker and do away with the rear rack and in exchange give it a dump bed. Rode with a P500 couple weeks ago and thing goes everywhere. I have no use for one but sure would like one.

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
these are priced right though!!!

044FE995 1A50 4CCA B7B8 90FA36CE29DC

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Leave the seat......alone
easy for us old timers. ..to slide
in & out....love it

Reactions: Mudder and JWB
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
By 'wheel base' do you mean length or width? Wheelbase normally refers to length, center of wheel to center of wheel. As far as more travel, the existing control arms are capable of far more movement than the idiotic stock shocks allow. Mine has 10.5" of travel in the front and 9" in the rear with the shocks I have installed. So, simple shock change= more travel, first problem solved. Add a locker, second problem solved. Install the p1000 power train, third problem solved. Of course the price goes up, that's why they're called options. Or, you could just buy a machine that already has 95% of all the usual add ons for under $11k (I've got more than that in my p5) CFMOTO ZFORCE 800 EPS Trail Side by Side ATVs | Specs + Features
If Honda doesn't get their collective heads out of their a$$e$ soon, they are going to loose yet another customer.

Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
By 'wheel base' do you mean length or width? Wheelbase normally refers to length, center of wheel to center of wheel. As far as more travel, the existing control arms are capable of far more movement than the idiotic stock shocks allow. Mine has 10.5" of travel in the front and 9" in the rear with the shocks I have installed. So, simple shock change= more travel, first problem solved. Add a locker, second problem solved. Install the p1000 power train, third problem solved. Of course the price goes up, that's why they're called options. Or, you could just buy a machine that already has 95% of all the usual add ons for under $11k (I've got more than that in my p5) CFMOTO ZFORCE 800 EPS Trail Side by Side ATVs | Specs + Features
If Honda doesn't get their collective heads out of their a$$e$ soon, they are going to loose yet another customer.
I cruised one..for a weekend..
impressive. ..
power...great handling....
11" longer...
2" shorter...in height..
bout 200 lbs.... heavier

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
2016 CFMOTO UFORCE 500

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I cruised one..for a weekend..
impressive. ..
power...great handling....
11" longer...
2" shorter...in height..
bout 200 lbs.... heavier
The picture is the U-Force. Did you ride the 50" Z-Force?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Smallest footprint on the market, gets where other 50" machines can't and it's bullet proof. More utility inclined and not a trail bomber.
If I were coughing up another $11k for a 50" trail bomber it wouldn't be that CF MOTO...
Maverick Trail UTV Side-by-Side 2018 Price & Specs | Can-Am

Reactions: rocmar and Chooglin
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Smallest footprint on the market, gets where other 50" machines can't and it's bullet proof. More utility inclined and not a trail bomber.
If I were coughing up another $11k for a 50" trail bomber it wouldn't be that CF MOTO...
Maverick Trail UTV Side-by-Side 2018 Price & Specs | Can-Am
BRP= Bring Replacement Parts. No winch, no roof, no wheels, no tires, no diff lock, less pwr (800cc), 6 month warranty.. So what would it really cost to match the cfmoto's installed standard features, pwr, and warranty?
I will not give BRP (can-am) one cent of my money, but that's a personal thing that I need not go into....

I'm really not pushing cfmoto, just using it as an example of what I feel Honda should be, or maybe a better way to say 'could be' offering in a 50" machine, and/or options for the p5. Virtually every semi-serious to serious trail rider who owns a p5, ever since they were invented, has wanted a diff-lock, at least a little more power, a little more top end speed, and better suspension. Honda has completely ignored us, and the competition.

That's why I'm annoyed with Honda. They've done the same thing in the marine industry- always the last to get into the game, and always too little too late.

The p500 is bulletproof- I really love mine. Not one single failure in 1300 miles of quite honestly pure abuse. I've put about $4k into um.... personalizing. So in reality, I've spent prit neer $13k on a 27 h.p. machine, and I'm guessing that many other p5 owners, if completely honest, are in the same ballpark.

As far as the p5 going where no other 50" machine can go- how I wish that were true, because when it gets sticky, or real steep, the lack of power, and no diff-lock proved that isn't the case, unfortunately for me and my ego...:(

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Lol, I know where you're coming from JWB and would love to see Honda put out a little 50" trail bomber. Or a race inspired machine in any class for that matter!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!