William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda sent me another email survey and it pretty much told me they were designing a new 57” p500 with dump bed and 8” suspension travel... I’m ready to buy one! I told them it needed a locker and 10 more mph on top end also!

E47514ED 686D 481F 924B 2562C7AB682F

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think that is the Artic Cat Prowler based on dimensions and specs.

2017 Prowler 500

Honda has the 500 at 50” because of the 50” road creation restriction Bill Clinton signed into Law.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I might want to measure those A-Arms :) Those could come in handy on a retrofit!

Reactions: chrisC
William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think that is the Artic Cat Prowler based on dimensions and specs.

2017 Prowler 500

Honda has the 500 at 50” because of the 50” road creation restriction Bill Clinton signed into Law.

Oh I get what you’re saying they are comparing to the arctic cat... or textron...

Reactions: ohanacreek
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Just finished the survey too. Keep a 50 inch machine for restricted trails. Honda would mess up if they were out of the 50 inch class.

C4A2EC84 6008 43D5 834F 7851A5D91C59

Reactions: R-Lamm
William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe Honda could do like Polaris and have an S model which is wider and better suspension/longer a arms...

Reactions: 500oneer
William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well yeah but I would assume that would be on the Sport model not the utility.

No I want the p500 s model... I don’t get into twin cylinders and dct transmissions... I like the simple things, less to break... I would get a p700 if it didn’t have the three speed. Been eyeballing the canam defender hd5 dps lately... but I wouldn’t pay for aftermarket suspension on mine I have now, it doesn’t bother me that much, but if they came out with a 57” p500 with upgrades I would buy one...

RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I am still waiting for someone to throw P700 axles and A-Arms on a P500..

Reactions: Chooglin
B

Bowtech32

Dec 6, 2013
All they need to do is put the 5speed tranny in the 700

Reactions: William
H

HondaTech

All they need to do is put the 5speed tranny in the 700

Man that would take some package engineering. The 700 has a separate clutch for each gear essentially. 1st is by itself and 2nd/3rd are back to back like the P1K. They'd need to shove another back to back clutch like that somewhere in that thing. The 650/680/700 is the simplest engine to rebuild in Honda's Atv repertoire. There's only a small sub trans with a couple gears, no multitude of gears to deal with.

Similar to a Kawasaki Teryx, the old ones anyways. There is a small set of gears to transfer foward/neutral/reverse. The only difference is the lack of an internal set of clutches in the Teryx.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What they need to do is put a low range in that 700 sub tranny.

I would think "Model G" is aimed more at the Mid-sized Rangers than the Prowler, since honestly, the Prowler is a tiny blip on the sales radar compared to the Popo stuff.
I drove the AC...er, i mean the Textron 500 Prowler recently. It's actually a very nice machine that looks to be well built. My 2 concerns are that it looks really low to the ground despite what the specs say, and yes...its a Kymco. I know they seem to have a pretty good rep...but i just have a hard time getting over that.

Why can't honda build the current 500 AND model G? The more the merrier...

Reactions: William
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
There are plenty of other sxs's on the market, we all knew what we were getting when we bought these machines...least amount of suspension travel, shortest wheel base, ugly as sh** and doesn't come with anything. That's why it was $8000.
We also knew that it had advantages over the rest, shorter turning radius, less likely to high point, smallest footprint for two people and gear, simple, cheap and bullet proof...what Honda built and they nailed it. That's what we paid for.

H

HondaTech

What they need to do is put a low range in that 700 sub tranny.

I would think "Model G" is aimed more at the Mid-sized Rangers than the Prowler, since honestly, the Prowler is a tiny blip on the sales radar compared to the Popo stuff.
I drove the AC...er, i mean the Textron 500 Prowler recently. It's actually a very nice machine that looks to be well built. My 2 concerns are that it looks really low to the ground despite what the specs say, and yes...its a Kymco. I know they seem to have a pretty good rep...but i just have a hard time getting over that.

Why can't honda build the current 500 AND model G? The more the merrier...

Kawasaki did the same thing with the Brute Force 300 and have been with their 50 ans 90 youth models.

Fun Fact: Honda is the only manufacturer that produces the entirety of their youth ATV. Everyone else uses a outsourced engine and frame and just mounts their plastic to it.

I do think there is room between the 500 and 700 for a small dump bed machine, but when the 700 first came out it was priced below $10K msrp. At the time that woudlve put it and the P500 close enough in price that there would be no room in between. There is a little more room now but not much.

On and unrelated topic while looking the other day I found a P500 add on that is only available overseas. It was a dumb bed attachment as well as a storage box for under the hood that was accessible through a lid made into the hood.

Reactions: DG Rider and lee
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is what I was referring to earlier about 50" trails, just another reason to loath Bill Clinton.

View attachment 59856
I started riding in the woods late 70's through the 90's. Saw a lot of changes to the trails in those years, motor cycles are far less damaging. First came the three wheeler, two tracks instead of one and a little wider, then came the four wheelers, two tracks and with the 4 wd more wear and a little wider yet, then came the S x S, low horse power and wider yet, now we have S x S with more power well over 150 horse power, wide as a small jeep. With the wrong moisture in the ground (muddy conditions) we all can have an adverse effect on the environment. Yes, I like to ride fast, but there are times we need to tread lightly. I sold my 1974 Honda CR 250 woods bike this year because I didn't enjoy riding the trails in the shape they are in today. And now I have a P1.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!