P500 Tie down in truck

B

Bigdogpc

Aug 27, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
OK, Dodge Ram 2500 with short bed has the four loops in each corner but I am wanting to tie down better than that. Any suggestions? Oh yes, this is 4WD so it sits tall, I decided the 90" ramps weren't enough to load with. It seems as I aged, I lost my daredevil and am now pretty cautious about things that might hurt me. I ordered 12' ramps so loading won't be a problem but I am now worried about back glass and keeping the thing from moving around. Once I get this all worked out I will also be towing a travel trailer so no, I don't want a trailer. Thanks for the input in advance!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Consider something like DG tailgate supports if it rides on the tailgate, others have made front wooden stops to protect rear glass. Dont know if you could do trailer D rings, rated at 6000 lbs with backer plates if worried avout OEM tie downs. Several internet comments of no problems with tie downs, maybe ask rating question to RAM Care site or owners manual. There is a service bulletin for newer RAMs for tailgate unlatching, but parts have not arrived yet at my local dealer.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Loading into the back of a truck is a little hairy the first time, then it's no big deal once you've done it. Using the longer ramps makes the incline less but makes you ride those rails a little longer. I opted for the wide ones as that's what I was more concerned with. You'll need a hitch extension and, like Mudder said, some tailgate supports to pull the travel trailer as well. Or get one of these, won't need your tailgate and the extension is built in. Also helps with the ride height and COG. Sold as the Iron Man, I don't use it anymore and would sell this one.

Loaded Side Hauling Cropped

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Looking at this setup, I think it makes more sense to get a trailer.

Reactions: Terry_Redman
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Mine fits in better backwards. And it’s into a 97 F350 ECLB with a lift and 37” tires. First few times seemed scary once you get her lined up it’s not a big deal. I’ve an aluminum custom combo drybox fuel cell that takes up 24” back of the cab. So with tailgate down it just fits in. I made straps to support the tailgate cables, bolted top end of strap where box latch pin used to be (in top of box). Then took latch pin itself and bolted it on the other end of the steel flat bar (strap) and latched that into the open tailgate, stock latch spot. Simple works great. I also took 3/4” pressure treated plywood and added angle iron on the sides to disperse the weight, slide it into the bottom of box with tailgate open, so it covers the tailgate and bottom of box.

Typically in all my pickup boxes I have tiedowns mounted in the corners and put plate on opposite side of the box so tie downs will not pull through the box. To tie mine in I hook a ratchet strap into the top A arm over the front wheel then down to floor, same on passenger side. Rears I do somewhats similarity, over the tire. Meaning not onto the frame. Reason I say this as I travel on rough roads at times and hooked to the frame (in the past), machine suspension compresses from hit and Ratchet strap falls off. By hooking over the tires the UTVs suspension can still flex and move, tires are planted and air pressure in the tire keeps a more constant pressure on strap. Do they come loose, sometimes but not nearly as often. Last thing is I have a 4x4 pressure treated posts box width against my dry box 2 high for my rear wheels to press against. Folding ramps fit under machine.
Logged many Kms with this system works for me, no pranged box, UTV, tailgate.

Sorry for such a long winded post....yeesh.
j

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Loading into the back of a truck is a little hairy the first time, then it's no big deal once you've done it. Using the longer ramps makes the incline less but makes you ride those rails a little longer. I opted for the wide ones as that's what I was more concerned with. You'll need a hitch extension and, like Mudder said, some tailgate supports to pull the travel trailer as well. Or get one of these, won't need your tailgate and the extension is built in. Also helps with the ride height and COG. Sold as the Iron Man, I don't use it anymore and would sell this one.

View attachment 85937 View attachment 85938

I like the concept Trigger... thinking I might weld additional receivers on my class 5 hitch cross bar. Then slide in an assembly to replace the tailgate with the weight onto the hitch/frame. That way can use the trailer receiver to tow keerap if need be. Cool thanks for the idea, nice.
j

Reactions: trigger
D

Deleted member 3748

OK, Dodge Ram 2500 with short bed has the four loops in each corner but I am wanting to tie down better than that. Any suggestions? Oh yes, this is 4WD so it sits tall, I decided the 90" ramps weren't enough to load with. It seems as I aged, I lost my daredevil and am now pretty cautious about things that might hurt me. I ordered 12' ramps so loading won't be a problem but I am now worried about back glass and keeping the thing from moving around. Once I get this all worked out I will also be towing a travel trailer so no, I don't want a trailer. Thanks for the input in advance!
It's not going to move around once you get it fastened to your four corner points. Use a 4x4 or something similar to keep it way from the rear glass.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Ram factory tie down loops work fine and a pair of rachet straps from the front loops to the rear of the pioneer is all you need . But only Trigger's set up is the deal to haul it in the bed and tow a trailer .

Reactions: trigger
B

Bigdogpc

Aug 27, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for all the replies! I've got the straps for tailgate so it won't be hanging on the cables. I wasn't sure about the four loops with that much weight. The long ramps will make it easy to get in the bed and I am planning to back it in. Once the ramps arrive I will document what I have done with pixs...yup, I read that "no pixs, it didn't happen" post. IF I am able to pull all this off I will keep my small trailer. If it doesn't work out then I will do the toy hauler thing (don't really want to do this). Some of us become age challenged before the age is correct and I fall into that boat. I turn 65 next year, had to give up two wheels a couple of years ago, I quit taunting gators, I no longer beat moccasins with sticks, I try to be a tad more careful. Those short ramps were sitting at close to 45 degrees when I started up them and I flat chickened out. Yes, I am hanging my head in shame, I may never gain entry into the big boy club. This is a great forum, thanks again!!

advertisement
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@Bigdogpc , understand completely. Just a thought, an inexpensive (HF) winch at front of bed might reduce pucker factor to pull in in backwards. And might help with loading other stuff in years to come. Have the HF 3500 Lb that comes with long wired remote, plenty of cable, and a there are wireless remotes for around $15. Ride it up with a push of a button.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!