P1000 Tie Down Recommendations?

F

fulmitz

Apr 30, 2017
US
So I'm looking for recommendations on brand and strength of tie downs for my P1000-5. I'm looking at retractable ratchet tie downs so there is no excess. Now the dealer told me using 4 500lbs WWL would be fine as they are cumulative so that would allow for 2000lbs total and the Honda only was around 1500lbs. I know you can never go wrong with more, I'm just wondering what the general strength used is as well as brands. I'm looking at Erickson, Smart Strap, Reese, Highland, and Quickloader brands. Any info would be greatly appreciated and if you have a better suggestion than one of these manufacturers, I'm all ears :)

Thanks,

Rob

J

JTW

Ok.. first off what trailer do you have? How are you planning on hauling it? The point of tying one down isn't just so it doesn't bounce around on the trailer... but to keep it from coming into the cab with you if you have a wreak!

Reactions: Ragnar406
J

JTW

This is how I haul mine.. I've traded in the rear straps for chains.. this allows me to have the perfect placement everytime I put it on the trailer.

IMG 2654 IMG 2655 IMG 2801 IMG 2802 IMG 2804 IMG 2805

J

JTW

You wouldn't have to use d-rings as I've done.. but I prefer a metal in metal contact with my straps not making contact with anything.

H

Hondroid

Apr 2, 2016
Canada
So I'm looking for recommendations on brand and strength of tie downs for my P1000-5. I'm looking at retractable ratchet tie downs so there is no excess. Now the dealer told me using 4 500lbs WWL would be fine as they are cumulative so that would allow for 2000lbs total and the Honda only was around 1500lbs. I know you can never go wrong with more, I'm just wondering what the general strength used is as well as brands. I'm looking at Erickson, Smart Strap, Reese, Highland, and Quickloader brands. Any info would be greatly appreciated and if you have a better suggestion than one of these manufacturers, I'm all ears :)

Thanks,

Rob
E-track and tires straps. Simple, inexpensive and allows the suspension to work. Just my observation but I see a lot of guys using ratchet straps to the frame of their machine thus compressing your shocks. The machine still bounces around and straps loosen up.

Reactions: ohanacreek
advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
E-track and tires straps. Simple, inexpensive and allows the suspension to work. Just my observation but I see a lot of guys using ratchet straps to the frame of their machine thus compressing your shocks. The machine still bounces around and straps loosen up.

Trailer rides better too since the Pioneer suspension can work.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV

I strap to the frame or front bumper.

I use a simple bungee strap on the hooks to keep tension on the straps. Simple and effective and has never come off for me.

Reactions: JTW
D

DDDonkey

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is what I use for the rear tires, perfect placement ever time. I also use wheel nets on the front tires to e-track. Make sure if you use e-track you install it correctly don’t just screw it down with drywall screws.

All the way through with bolts and washers.

Reactions: Landman
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last edited:
TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve been using the Rhino straps for the last 8 months. I like them so far. I haven’t had to grease them yet on these dusty roads, but probably will next use. Stored indoors. I like the clips on the hooks to prevent unhooks. A buddy lost his RZR by a unhook on a small bump on the freeway. Toast.
When I get a trailer I plan on holding on too(want a 13-14 footer) I’ll use wheel straps.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!