Tilt steering not working

U

uler3161

Jun 12, 2020
Orofino, ID
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Finally bought a 2019 Talon 1000R new from a dealer. I'm wondering if there's any trick to getting the tilt steering to work? Doesn't seem to release no matter what direction I move the lever nor does it matter whether I'm putting pressure on the column as I do it. Just doesn't seem to want to release. I'm guessing this is like those gas shocks under computer chairs? Maybe it's a bad one? Dealer is a long ways away, so kind of a pain to bring it to them to get it fixed.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Mine is a bit stubborn if I haven't used it in a while. Give the lever a good pull towards you while trying to tilt the wheel up or down.

U

uler3161

Jun 12, 2020
Orofino, ID
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Went out and tried it and for some reason not only did it work, but it worked easily. Definitely not how it was (not) working earlier.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had the same problem. Not a repeatable problem, but a real pain when it didn't work for sure. Finally gave up and bought a new one from babbits rather haul the machine into the dealer for warranty and then another trip to go get it. Hard to believe, but the new one did the exact same thing. Did the warranty thing the next time.

U

uler3161

Jun 12, 2020
Orofino, ID
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I had the same problem. Not a repeatable problem, but a real pain when it didn't work for sure. Finally gave up and bought a new one from babbits rather haul the machine into the dealer for warranty and then another trip to go get it. Hard to believe, but the new one did the exact same thing. Did the warranty thing the next time.
Makes me wonder if it'll go back to not working again.

The one thing I had done prior to it working was to install the ryco turn signal kit. When I undid the cylinder from the column I tried to make it work then as well and it wouldn't. But I didn't think to test after I put it all back together. Maybe something about all the jiggling around while I installed that made it work.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

The one thing I had done prior to it working was to install the ryco turn signal kit. When I undid the cylinder from the column I tried to make it work then as well and it wouldn't. But I didn't think to test after I put it all back together. Maybe something about all the jiggling around while I installed that made it work.
Nope, HUCK's right, you didn't want to ask yer wife how it werkz. :p obtw: mine sticks too.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

Mine would work for a while, then stick. After a while it would start working again. I don't see how installing your turn signal control would have any effect on it. If i recall correctly (odds seem to be against this) a replacement from babbits was about $20 plus shipping. I was very surprised to see that the new one i got did the same thing, but hopefully this has been resolved. The one the dealer put on as a warranty replacement has been as flawless as you would expect

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!