Tire longevity?

Brentc

Brentc

May 8, 2016
SE AK
I know there are tire sections but just wanted to hit everyone with the question. I'm looking at new tires the stockers are bald after 1600 mi. I've been looking at the GBC mongrel 10ply, ITP bajacross, and ITP blackwater. ITP says the bajacross's are their highest mileage tire so this one is high on my list. The mongrel 10ply's read very well it's just I can't find anyone with a lot of mileage. I know the black waters last for a while that's the good thing on those.

The terrain I ride on is extremely ruff on tires even 10 ply truck tires. The island is all rock so almost all the roads are all what we call shot rock it's really sharp.
Thanks for any help guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My first consideration wouldn't be mileage but we do a lot of rock riding and I use EVO's. Wouldn't really have anything else

Reactions: wildbill
J

JTW

My dad has Mongrels on his rhino.. he does a lot of blacktop riding and they're wearing pretty heavy in the back.. if you can rotate your tires you'll get a lot better mileage out of them.
One of my buddies went with blackwaters and the lugs are twice as tall as my bighorn originals. Inwjent with the bighorns for longevity and all around tire. I would highly consider the blackwaters after seeing them though.

Reactions: drfubar
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Sedona Rock-a-Billy are really good tires. From what I've seen they're better than the gbc mongals. Maxxis has a new tire called Carnivore they look good too. Pittbull has a DOT tire now. Growler AT. They look nice too. Just giving you some names options.
Them Rock-a-Billy are the only ones I named that I've seen first hand on the trails and dang they preformed great. I run the bear claw HTR, and have preformed great as well.

Reactions: JTW
Brentc

Brentc

May 8, 2016
SE AK
The reason why I'm researching so much is because shipping is $200. So I don't really want to buy new tires again soon.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
The reason why I'm researching so much is because shipping is $200. So I don't really want to buy new tires again soon.

Hey man if you got 1600 on your stock tires that's pretty good! I would expect twice the mileage or more on whatever you buy next, but probably you'll do best with radials.

Reactions: drfubar and Jshell3
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

EVOs are a good choice. Consider the Roctanes too, they are made for rock. Also, as Scott mentioned the rockabilly tires are great. I don't think you will be unhappy with any of those.

Signature:

QUOTE by Sharp, Where's Don? He's probably spray painting stuff lmfao!

Reactions: JTW and drfubar
J

JTW

EVOs are a good choice. Consider the Roctanes too, they are made for rock. Also, as Scott mentioned the rockabilly tires are great. I don't think you will be unhappy with any of those.

Signature:

QUOTE by Sharp, Where's Don? He's probably spray painting stuff lmfao!
Those rockabilly tires are awesome!!

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina

I've never payed for shipping on tires and that includes my jeep and other two cars tires. Look on Amazon and other sites. You should be able too find free shipping.

Reactions: JTW
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've never payed for shipping on tires and that includes my jeep and other two cars tires. Look on Amazon and other sites. You should be able too find free shipping.

He's on an Alaskan island so I think shipping is never free for him!

advertisement
Brentc

Brentc

May 8, 2016
SE AK
He's on an Alaskan island so I think shipping is never free for him!

What Tflynn said! Usually all bigger items are not free shipping with prime. Although I was lucky to pick up my truck tires on prime with free shipping but they didn't let that one slide a second time.

Yeah I'm amazed that I have 1600 on the stockers.

Thanks guys for the info on tires i feel a lot better purchasing radials. I think I'm leaning towards the bajacross for the fact ITP says its there longest wearing tire.

Reactions: drfubar and JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!