BOX1

Tire/ rim confusion !

Iowamike

Iowamike

May 31, 2020
Dubuque Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
I would like to run 28x10-15 tires all around on my Talon X using the same rim so I can rotate and use a spare. The stock front rim is a 5+2 offset ? I think. Could I order two more front rims and use 1.5 inch spacers in the rear? Is my math correct and has anyone had issues with spacers? I am a casual rider on Northern Wisconsin terrain, no jumping or riding like my hair is on fire as another member calls it. Any suggestions ? The more I read into it the more confused I get , maybe I am over thinking. Thanks for any help !

Reactions: Isaiah
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Stock front rims are 6.5" wide. 4 stock front rims (5.5 + 1 offset) and 1.5" spacers on the rear will work perfectly and only widen you about 1" with 10" tires.

1.5" spacers on the rear only slightly extends the leverage point as compared to the stock rear offset. To date, no one that I have seen has reported issues with 1.5" spacers and stock or 6+1 wheels.

2" spacers with 5+2 wheels and lots of jumping killed the rear bearings on my friends R.

Iowamike

Iowamike

May 31, 2020
Dubuque Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Stock front rims are 6.5" wide. 4 stock front rims (5.5 + 1 offset) and 1.5" spacers on the rear will work perfectly and only widen you about 1" with 10" tires.

1.5" spacers on the rear only slightly extends the leverage point as compared to the stock rear offset. To date, no one that I have seen has reported issues with 1.5" spacers and stock or 6+1 wheels.

2" spacers with 5+2 wheels and lots of jumping killed the rear bearings on my friends R.

Thanks PaulF
Would you recommend other options for me? I am not dead set on stock tires. Don't think bead locks are necessary for my style of riding.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks PaulF
Would you recommend other options for me? I am not dead set on stock tires. Don't think bead locks are necessary for my style of riding.
Any 6+1 wheel is fine but I think they only come in a bead lock.

Most 5+2 wheel will also work (as long as their true offset is at least +40mm) but keep in mind you will be getting wider and messing with your front scrub radius. If you go with 5+2, you should also go with a taller tire to mitigate the scrub radius difference.

CAUTION, some wheels are marketed as 5+2 when in fact they are closer to a 4+3 or even worse. For instance, STI makes the HD3, HD6 and HD7 and calls them a 5+2 but it only has a +10mm offset and that is actually a 4+3, not a 5+2.

STI also makes the HD10 in a 5+2 but the 14X7 it is only +30mm offset. However, the 15X7 is +40mm offset.

Reactions: TripleB
Iowamike

Iowamike

May 31, 2020
Dubuque Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Any 6+1 wheel is fine but I think they only come in a bead lock.

Most 5+2 wheel will also work (as long as their true offset is at least +40mm) but keep in mind you will be getting wider and messing with your front scrub radius. If you go with 5+2, you should also go with a taller tire to mitigate the scrub radius difference.

CAUTION, some wheels are marketed as 5+2 when in fact they are closer to a 4+3 or even worse. For instance, STI makes the HD3, HD6 and HD7 and calls them a 5+2 but it only has a +10mm offset and that is actually a 4+3, not a 5+2.

STI also makes the HD10 in a 5+2 but the 14X7 it is only +30mm offset. However, the 15X7 is +40mm offset.

So my initial confusion can be compounded with this new confusion. LOL
A 30 inch tire would look pretty cool. Decisions decisions !

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My Race Line's were spot on, 1+6 front and 2+5 rear, I don't rotate front to back, just rotate to the dumpster!

Reactions: Iowamike
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What size and brand are you running Smitty335 ?
Race Line, 1+6 in the front and 2+5 = 7 inch rim front and back, original width, put some ITP 30x10x14 tires on four corners and good to go. Will require off set A Arms up front for 30 inch tires?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not if you're running 14" and he's looking at 15"

Ha!
And the OP is looking to rotate and carry a spare so he needs all 5 wheels to be the same.

@Iowamike...
  • DO NOT go by the X+Y wheel measurements, they are not accurate, even from the same manufacturer. Always use the actual offset (see below)...
  • Get wheels +40mm or greater offset to minimize extra width and excessive scrub radius. +50mm is ideal if you can find them.
  • 4X136 or 4X137 bolt pattern wheels will work.
  • You can run 14" wheels on an X if you want.
  • To run the same wheel all the way around, use 1.5" spacers in the rear.
  • Avoid bead locks if you don't need them, they tend to leak and can be a pain in the ass.
  • 30" tires will generally fit an X without forward offset front control arms.
  • 31" or larger tires will generally rub on an X and will require forward offset front control arms.
Below are all marketed by STI as 5+2 wheels but there is a 30mm difference in offset between the least to the most and that is more than an inch. The wheel listed on the top will make your machine 60mm (~2.5") wider than the wheel listed at the bottom. Why they market them this way is unknown but it is not accurate...

Most Raceline 5+2 wheels are only 10mm offset and are truly a 4+3. There are some exceptions.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some good info in this thread, but here is the specific post of what I ended up with:

raceline podium beadlocks 14x7 6+1 all around with 32x10r14 sedona rock-a-billys and 1.5 DFR spacers in the rear. Still couldn't be happier, and no rubbing at all. I do slow trail riding, rock crawling and loose rocky trails. The tread pattern isn't exactly what I would prefer for function, but the wife is more concerned with looks and she loves it, so I guess that's all that matters LOL.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I wanted to air down to soften the stiff ride in the Talon R so beadlocks were important to me, I'm also a 'less than fast' driver most of the time. If you choose to keep the stock shock valving on your X, you'll find it also rides stiffly (more so than the R) and with your conservative riding, you might want to air down also - so beadlocks could be a good choice for you.

STI makes a wheel set (HD9 6+1 front, 4+3 rear) for the Talon keeping the track width close to the same front to rear (but wider than stock). So I went with them to avoid confusion on my part. Stock Talon R is 68.4" wide (spec), mine is now 70-1/8" front, 71-1/8" rear. Like PaulF said you can run 4 fronts with 1-1/2" spacers in the rear.

I went with the polished spokes, like your stock X - tired of the blacked out look.
I 67D5Dh9 M

Last edited:
C

Capn3gun

Nov 14, 2020
Nevada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I would like to run 28x10-15 tires all around on my Talon X using the same rim so I can rotate and use a spare. The stock front rim is a 5+2 offset ? I think. Could I order two more front rims and use 1.5 inch spacers in the rear? Is my math correct and has anyone had issues with spacers? I am a casual rider on Northern Wisconsin terrain, no jumping or riding like my hair is on fire as another member calls it. Any suggestions ? The more I read into it the more confused I get , maybe I am over thinking. Thanks for any help !
I just posted pics of this exact setup. Looks awesome...IMO.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!