P500 To Remove Sway Bar or Not to Remove Sway Bar?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'll quote it and maybe you can read that...
As many of us have debated on whether to remove the swaybar or not and how difficult it is.. I thought a little how to would be handy.

Tools needed..
Ratchet
Short extension
14mm socket
12 mm socket
Jack or some means of lifting the rear end to remove a wheel.

First step.. Set parking break and chock front tire.. Jack up the rear end and pull the rear right wheel using a 14mm socket and ratchet with extension or tire iron.

Second step.. Locate the sway bar (funky bent rod just in front of the rear end) and notice the ball joint pivots are only held by one 12mm nut on the bottom side of the linkage. Remove these nuts from each lower side of the ball joint on each side of the sway bar using your ratchet and 12mm socket or wrench. Pull the threaded end out of the sway bar.

Third step.. (If you choose to remove the sway bar completely.. I would suggest it) Locate the two U shaped pivot points where the swaybar attaches to the frame. There are two 12mm bolts on each pivot.. Use your ratchet and socket with your extension for these. Once removed.. simply manipulate the sway bar out of the machine. This takes some rotating and moving but is why we removed the rear wheel.

Lastly, zip tie the remaining ball joints to the A-arms as shown. (these can be permanently removed if you so choose.. but you will need to insert an Allen wrench into the bolt to keep it from spinning.) Remount the wheel and tighten.. You're now ready to ride with far superior articulation and comfort!

View attachment 24059 View attachment 24060 View attachment 24061 View attachment 24062 View attachment 24063 View attachment 24064 View attachment 24065 View attachment 24066

Jetsaround1

Jetsaround1

Sep 3, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
I have had several atv's and utv's over the years and have a 2018 honda pioneer 500, on every machine I have removed the sway bars and they ride so much better no comparison in the rocks ....only difference is if you are riding fast and turn it can get kinda scary

Q

quartz

Jan 11, 2020
Clovis, Ca
Ownership

1. 500
You will get many opinions on this. I keep mine on because of so many hill side trails that could cause the P5 to articulate on the down hill side resulting in tip over. You can do as @Mudder and others do and zip tie it in case you want to hook it back up. I haven't done that because I would be stopping a lot to hook back up. Those that do remove say the ride is much improved but i am used to the rough ride. Us Colorado guys are a tougher breed .
If I am understanding you correctly, it is better to leave it connected if you do hillside driving? I do lots of hillside driving and sometimes I feel like i am just about ready to tip over. After reading your opinion, I am diffidently going to leave mine hooked up. If fact I was wondering if they make training wheels for those steep hillsides. LOl.

Reactions: Isaiah
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
If I am understanding you correctly, it is better to leave it connected if you do hillside driving? I do lots of hillside driving and sometimes I feel like i am just about ready to tip over. After reading your opinion, I am diffidently going to leave mine hooked up. If fact I was wondering if they make training wheels for those steep hillsides. LOl.

They're called spacers. ;)

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Everyone should experiment with no bar. Lots of factors will influence the decision to dump it including tire construction, tire width, aftermarket shocks, spacers, center of gravity and driving style. Bars are usually used to compensate for soft OEM springs on most vehicles. Tossed many bars on Jeep products but kept some on other rigs. Put stiffer bars on semi-rally machines but completely misbehavin in those. I've mentioned the Yamaha recall before, they swapped bar for 2" spacers. I was skeptical about being 4" wider but with the aftermarket shocks dialed in and radial tire pressure set it railed. Big eye opener for the high end CanAm and Polaris guys I'd scare. I tossed bar first weekend on P5. Run many different tire/wheel combos. It's my job to compensate for 'no bar'.....

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
For old times sake...
I was one of the holdouts, didn't unhook it for about a year and a half. Regardless of what everybody said, Honda put it there for a reason. Then I finally tried it and zip tied it up, never connected again and eventually took it out.
Have put this machine through the gauntlet and IMO, the ASB makes the rear suspension feel stiff and lifeless. Probably better for corner slinging but not what this machine was built for. By the time you feel it tipping, it's too late.
With it disconnected, it'll lean a little more in the corners but that's a good thing. Gives you a better feel of the rear end, it's capability and it's limit, which is invaluable when riding treacherous sh**.

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I feel the sway bar was only installed on the p5 because they(Honda) was/is concerned about idiots going too fast and turning too with too much traction. I can't see why anyone would would want to tie both sides together on an otherwise independent suspension

Reactions: Mudder
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Removed mine and it stays in place with magic.

Reactions: Mudder and 25yrds
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Afraid you're not understanding correctly. It will tip over on, pretty much, the same angle with or without sway bar connected. With it gone you're actually letting the suspension do what it was designed to do. With sway bar disconnected you will definitely feel more articulation. And it will scare you. Until you realize it's actually letting the uphill tire move farther, without restriction from the downhill tire(the one with all the weight on it), and distribute weight more evenly. Look at it this way. Cars drive on level roads. Whenever you pitch into a corner you want to have as much weight on both sides as you can and body sway will definitely add more weight because of, mostly, speed. And the weight will be towards outside tire. Thus sway bars. Now, if off-roading,

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Afraid you're not understanding correctly. It will tip over on, pretty much, the same angle with or without sway bar connected. With it gone you're actually letting the suspension do what it was designed to do. With sway bar disconnected you will definitely feel more articulation. And it will scare you. Until you realize it's actually letting the uphill tire move farther, without restriction from the downhill tire(the one with all the weight on it), and distribute weight more evenly. Look at it this way. Cars drive on level roads. Whenever you pitch into a corner you want to have as much weight, equally, on both sides as you can, and body sway will definitely add more weight because of, mostly, speed. Thus sway bar. Off roading, aka, slow, off camber, sway bar will tie both sides together, not letting independent suspension work and trying to keep traction on both sides.

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Man, my big thumb keeps getting in the way. Sorry

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I must be on of the rare hold out's. My P5 is a 2015 do a lot of off chamber riding and have not convinced myself to remove it. I also don't have any spacers because we go a lot of places that are width restricted.

Reactions: Fischer and Mudder
C

CamoP500

Aug 8, 2020
Lake Vermilion
Ownership

1. 500
Took mine off. Night and day difference in rough trails as to ride quality and traction. Both rear wheels stay in contact with the ground. Can't feel any difference in high speed turns. Not that I really look to oval race with it. Mine will never go back on.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!