Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Got this email from Cora at Torq Locker on Talon 1000 production.

Screenshot 20210626 182546 Gmail

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
That's exciting, great news! Are there any details on how it works, what's involved with install? I'd like to learn more about it before I throw my money at them haha.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
That's exciting, great news! Are there any details on how it works, what's involved with install? I'd like to learn more about it before I throw my money at them haha.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Simply look at the many posts, pics, testimonials from P500 owners on here that have installed it and used it on that model.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
PRE-ORDER Information Talon TORQ Locker

HI All,

Production is going well! We are going to open up pre-orders tomorrow, July 1st at 12 Noon eastern standard time. Here is a link to purchase your TORQ Locker for Honda Talon:

The price is $439.99, plus $10 for standard USPS Priority shipping.

We will have 2 production runs, one each week. First production run *should* be complete by July 9th, second run by the 16th. Please bear in mind, things can happen, and if there are any delays we will be in touch ASAP.

Pre-orders will be shipped on a first come first serve basis.

TORQ Locker Cam-Gear progress:

Cora Jokinen
Torq-Masters Industries Inc.
www.TorqMasters.com
Office: 585-723-1489

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The last email update from Cora said they were waiting on a vendor who does their centerless grinding on the diff pin. She hoped they would be caught up so the kits could ship by the end of July.
Update sent out just now, see below......

Screenshot 20210730 111733 Gmail

MattFicke

MattFicke

Nov 23, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon R
Got my torq locker installed on the talon last weekend. Got to drive it for a few minutes before putting it away. Wandering if anyone else had installed and tested yet.

Installed per instructions, and used talon maintenance manual for removal and Installing of parts that the torq locker instructions did not cover.

Removal and install went smooth. Applied medium grease, verified springs were in place during install. Followed instructions completely. After install, wheel spin check was preformed per instructions. In 4wd, Moderate pressure was needed to hold tire and also to spin/ratchet the other tire.

Filled with fluid and backed out of garage slowly(in 2wd) turned the tires as I came to a stop. This was on hard packed gravel. When I put it in low to pull away an extremely loud noise happened and I could feel it also. I was sure something broke so I pulled it into the garage and preformed the wheel spin check again in 4wd and it all worked properly. Both tires locked against pin, both tires ratcheted smoothly with moderate pressure. Both axles and driveshaft operated properly, No leaks anywhere, just like the initial wheel spin test.

Backed it back out again and it did not make the noise this time. drove it about 10 min in a field put it in 2wd and 4wd and drove at various speeds with no issues. I did notice that it pulled to the driver side while driving through the field. It Did not pull like this before locker installed.

Since everything is working correctly, I was wandering if the noise was just due to the fact that the oil had not fully covered the locker and lubed it enough causing it to bind while ratcheting at low speed.

To my understanding (I could be wrong) even in 2wd there will still be pressure on the cross pin because the whole assembly will be rotating as one. This pressure could allow the inner cup not to spring all the way in causing the cam gear to not fully ratchet since I was coming to a stop and it would be in a position where the teeth are on top of each other and not meshed together. Then while putting it in gear to pull away the teeth completed ratcheting under pressure while moving slowly causing the noise. Not sure if this is a correct senario that can happen, just brainstorming.

Has anyone experienced the loud noise in 2wd moving slow or the machine pulling to one side after install? I emailed toqmasters about this today, waiting for reply. Sorry for the length of the post, just trying to paint the best picture for everyone.

Reactions: CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Got my torq locker installed on the talon last weekend. Got to drive it for a few minutes before putting it away. Wandering if anyone else had installed and tested yet.

Installed per instructions, and used talon maintenance manual for removal and Installing of parts that the torq locker instructions did not cover.

Removal and install went smooth. Applied medium grease, verified springs were in place during install. Followed instructions completely. After install, wheel spin check was preformed per instructions. In 4wd, Moderate pressure was needed to hold tire and also to spin/ratchet the other tire.

Filled with fluid and backed out of garage slowly(in 2wd) turned the tires as I came to a stop. This was on hard packed gravel. When I put it in low to pull away an extremely loud noise happened and I could feel it also. I was sure something broke so I pulled it into the garage and preformed the wheel spin check again in 4wd and it all worked properly. Both tires locked against pin, both tires ratcheted smoothly with moderate pressure. Both axles and driveshaft operated properly, No leaks anywhere, just like the initial wheel spin test.

Backed it back out again and it did not make the noise this time. drove it about 10 min in a field put it in 2wd and 4wd and drove at various speeds with no issues. I did notice that it pulled to the driver side while driving through the field. It Did not pull like this before locker installed.

Since everything is working correctly, I was wandering if the noise was just due to the fact that the oil had not fully covered the locker and lubed it enough causing it to bind while ratcheting at low speed.

To my understanding (I could be wrong) even in 2wd there will still be pressure on the cross pin because the whole assembly will be rotating as one. This pressure could allow the inner cup not to spring all the way in causing the cam gear to not fully ratchet since I was coming to a stop and it would be in a position where the teeth are on top of each other and not meshed together. Then while putting it in gear to pull away the teeth completed ratcheting under pressure while moving slowly causing the noise. Not sure if this is a correct senario that can happen, just brainstorming.

Has anyone experienced the loud noise in 2wd moving slow or the machine pulling to one side after install? I emailed toqmasters about this today, waiting for reply. Sorry for the length of the post, just trying to paint the best picture for everyone.
The TL will be a bit noisy when turning as the unit "ratchets" when it slips. You will have to get used to that. The "bang" is not normal.

Because the front is now trying to spin both wheels at the same speed, your tires must be exactly the same circumference or the car will drift when you let go of the wheel. If one tire is slightly larger (or the tread has separated), it will drift. To determine if it is the tires, swap the fronts and see if it drifts the other way.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
When I put it in low to pull away an extremely loud noise happened and I could feel it also. I was sure something broke
Matt,
Just noticed that you tried Low. Are you aware of the Low "Shift Bang" Fennomania? Especially when the Sub-Trans is cold? What you describe sounds like that.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Matt,
Just noticed that you tried Low. Are you aware of the Low "Shift Bang" Fennomania? Especially when the Sub-Trans is cold? What you describe sounds like that.
I'll add that mine did just that on an 80* day at the trail head, so it doesn't have to be very cold.

Reactions: Mopower58
MattFicke

MattFicke

Nov 23, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon R
The TL will be a bit noisy when turning as the unit "ratchets" when it slips. You will have to get used to that. The "bang" is not normal.

Because the front is now trying to spin both wheels at the same speed, your tires must be exactly the same circumference or the car will drift when you let go of the wheel. If one tire is slightly larger (or the tread has separated), it will drift. To determine if it is the tires, swap the fronts and see if it drifts the other way.
PaulF,
Thanks for the imput on this. I am running new 32"BFG KM3's on beadlocks. I did see the note on the instructions about the tires needing to be as close as possible in circumference. It was late when I took it for a test drive so I didn't get too far into the issue. One thing I need to do is check my air pressure, it's been a while since I've checked. Running beadlocks I run on 8lbs so I can see that could be if one tire has lost some air I can definitely see that causing the issue. If that checks out I'll swap tires like you suggested. I'll send updates when possible. Thanks

Reactions: Mopower58 and CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!