TORQ Locker for Talon

MattFicke

MattFicke

Nov 23, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon R
Matt,
Just noticed that you tried Low. Are you aware of the Low "Shift Bang" Fennomania? Especially when the Sub-Trans is cold? What you describe sounds like that.
PaulF,
Yes I am aware of that issue, I have on had this happen maybe once or twice in the year Ive owned it. I was on hills that I stopped on and reversed and put back in low. I am confident the noise and what I felt was not that.

MattFicke

MattFicke

Nov 23, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'll add that mine did just that on an 80* day at the trail head, so it doesn't have to be very cold.
CID,
The very few times mine did it was on a hill having to stop and change gears and everything was hot. From the reading I've done it is mostly due to the shift linkage, but I could be wrong on that. Like my reply to PaulF I have experiences this myself. The noise and what I felt was worse. I am confident that was not it. By the feel and sound it definitely came from the front end but obviously I can't completely rule out this being part of the issue, it very well could have something to do with it. It could be coincidence and bad time for it to happen maybe. I'm headed to rush off-road this weekend so I will post some updates after the ride.

MattFicke

MattFicke

Nov 23, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon R
Update after the day at Rush,

Got through the day with no loud noises. Everything worked great. Did not feel the machine pulling to the driver side at all. I am saying the pulling was due to tire pressure difference I was about a half pound lower on my driver side front. I run at 8lbs with beadlocks.

The locker does change the machine. It definitely hooks way harder. I felt like I could crawl up anything I pointed it at. I didn't hit any sloppy mud holes on this ride, It was a very dry day. We were climbing hills and some technical rock climbs around the power line trails. You could definitely tell when I was in 4wd steering was tighter but to be expected. The extra traction is well worth it.

I think this is the best upgrade I've put on so far and I highly recommend getting this. I just assisted installing another torq locker yesterday on my buddies Talon 1000X. Nothing but good things to say with this product.

Cora with torq locker got back to me and said there is a break in period and they recommend putting some miles on it. She then got back to me this week to follow up and make sure everything was still working, so good experience with customer service as well.

MattFicke

MattFicke

Nov 23, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon R
Update #2,
One thing I forgot to mention in my previous posts was after install, I noticed that the driver side axle seemed to not seal into the axle seal in the diff all the way. You could see a gap between the axle cup and the diff housing, you could not see this on the passenger side. I never payed attention to this before I began installation so I didn't know if this was normal "play" or not. I double checked that the snap ring was catching and the axle was fully seated in the splines. Went on the weekend ride with no oil leaks from the driver side axle seal so figured I didn't have any issues. When I helped my buddy install his torq locker the next week, I noticed he had the same gap on the driver side. I figured this was normal.

Today I received an update email from cora at torq masters, the email addresses this as there has been multiple people emailing customer service asking about it. It was a pretty lengthy email detailing why whis gap is present after install and basically it is expected due to many reasons, some people have it and some may not, if yours has this gap after install they say it is expected on some and not going to damage the seal or leak. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up in case they see the gap on the driver side after install.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Cora with torq locker got back to me and said there is a break in period and they recommend putting some miles on it. She then got back to me this week to follow up and make sure everything was still working, so good experience with customer service as well.
This is good to hear. I am currently trying to get a set for my Talon but all I’m hearing is that they are out of stock with no ability to say when they will be available…Hope this doesn’t last long.

Btw, would you mind at some point posting another service update and let us know that you’re still pleased with it???

Reactions: Remington
MattFicke

MattFicke

Nov 23, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is good to hear. I am currently trying to get a set for my Talon but all I’m hearing is that they are out of stock with no ability to say when they will be available…Hope this doesn’t last long.

Btw, would you mind at some point posting another service update and let us know that you’re still pleased with it???
Yea it took a while to get mine, I bought it the day the pre release started but I was expecting it to take a while being a pre order. I have no issues with it and no leaks. I've been on a few rides now, so I'd say between somewhere around 100-150 miles on it. Normal noises expected with a locker engaging/disengaging hard at times. I havnt experienced the very loud bang since the first post I made right after install. I still recommend this product. I will be changing fluids before the next ride and I plan on draining the front diff to see what the oil looks like and if any noticable water/mud has gotten into the diff. I'm not expecting it since there isn't any leaks.

Only slight draw backs is the obvious tougher to turn in 4 wheel with tires being locked but it's still worth it to me. No noticable difference turning for me in 2 wheel. Also having been on a few rides I can say I have noticed what feels like a slight power loss in a very few situations while in 4 wheel as it's turning all tires no matter what but again it's expected and it's not enough for me to be upset with having the locker. I do find myself riding in 2wd until the locker is needed.

All in all very happy with it and I definitely would buy it again if I was starting over.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yea it took a while to get mine, I bought it the day the pre release started but I was expecting it to take a while being a pre order. I have no issues with it and no leaks. I've been on a few rides now, so I'd say between somewhere around 100-150 miles on it. Normal noises expected with a locker engaging/disengaging hard at times. I havnt experienced the very loud bang since the first post I made right after install. I still recommend this product. I will be changing fluids before the next ride and I plan on draining the front diff to see what the oil looks like and if any noticable water/mud has gotten into the diff. I'm not expecting it since there isn't any leaks.

Only slight draw backs is the obvious tougher to turn in 4 wheel with tires being locked but it's still worth it to me. No noticable difference turning for me in 2 wheel. Also having been on a few rides I can say I have noticed what feels like a slight power loss in a very few situations while in 4 wheel as it's turning all tires no matter what but again it's expected and it's not enough for me to be upset with having the locker. I do find myself riding in 2wd until the locker is needed.

All in all very happy with it and I definitely would buy it again if I was starting over.
Thanks Matt. One more question if I may, how do you engage the lockers, and is i4WD still useable when not using the lockers?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Update, Cora tells me she expects I can get lockers shipped in the next couple weeks before the new year….🤞

MattFicke

MattFicke

Nov 23, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks Matt. One more question if I may, how do you engage the lockers, and is i4WD still useable when not using the lockers?

Due to the way the locker is designed, when you engage 4wd, the locker will automatically engage. you will not have the option to use 4wd without the locker. Once the locker is installed, i4wd will not engage anymore and that is due to how i4wd and the locker works. With that said no modifications are needed to the i4wd system.

I'll explain why below if you want to know why, if not stop reading now since it will be kind of long. (I feel like all my post end up long, sorry haha)

Once you install the locker and you are in 2wd, the springs let the locker ratchet free allowing your front tires to rotate at different speeds as needed. This happens in 2wd because there is no torque/pressure being applied to the main pin of the locker.

Once your engage 4wd, there is torque/pressure on the main pin of the locker, and it can no longer ratchet free. All of this happens automatically through the mechanical design of the locker. None of locker is electrical or has anything to do with the i4wd system, it is 100% mechanical. All you have to do is engage or disengage 4wd with the button like normal, and the locker does it's thing.

No modifications are needed to the i4wd system. This is because the i4wd works off of speed sensors on either side of your front diff (You will be uplugging these wires from the wiring harness during install, to get the front diff out of the talon). When the computer senses one of the front axles spinning faster than the other while in 4wd, it electronically applies the brakes to that tire. That is the "i or intelligent" part of the system. Due to the locker always being engaged in 4wd, this means the front tires and axles will be spinning at the same speed no matter what. i4wd will never sense a speed difference and simply will never have to engage. So there is nothing you have to do with i4wd system. I left everything as is because the speed sensors are in the front diff and I didn't want to break the gasket or o ring seals on the sensors and plug the whole with something.

Torque Masters talks about this somewhere, maybe their website or FAQ's. I know I read something they put out on the i4wd system and the locker when I was doing my research before buying. They say there is no issues with leaving the i4wd system in place with the locker.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Due to the way the locker is designed, when you engage 4wd, the locker will automatically engage. you will not have the option to use 4wd without the locker. Once the locker is installed, i4wd will not engage anymore and that is due to how i4wd and the locker works. With that said no modifications are needed to the i4wd system.

I'll explain why below if you want to know why, if not stop reading now since it will be kind of long. (I feel like all my post end up long, sorry haha)

Once you install the locker and you are in 2wd, the springs let the locker ratchet free allowing your front tires to rotate at different speeds as needed. This happens in 2wd because there is no torque/pressure being applied to the main pin of the locker.

Once your engage 4wd, there is torque/pressure on the main pin of the locker, and it can no longer ratchet free. All of this happens automatically through the mechanical design of the locker. None of locker is electrical or has anything to do with the i4wd system, it is 100% mechanical. All you have to do is engage or disengage 4wd with the button like normal, and the locker does it's thing.

No modifications are needed to the i4wd system. This is because the i4wd works off of speed sensors on either side of your front diff (You will be uplugging these wires from the wiring harness during install, to get the front diff out of the talon). When the computer senses one of the front axles spinning faster than the other while in 4wd, it electronically applies the brakes to that tire. That is the "i or intelligent" part of the system. Due to the locker always being engaged in 4wd, this means the front tires and axles will be spinning at the same speed no matter what. i4wd will never sense a speed difference and simply will never have to engage. So there is nothing you have to do with i4wd system. I left everything as is because the speed sensors are in the front diff and I didn't want to break the gasket or o ring seals on the sensors and plug the whole with something.

Torque Masters talks about this somewhere, maybe their website or FAQ's. I know I read something they put out on the i4wd system and the locker when I was doing my research before buying. They say there is no issues with leaving the i4wd system in place with the locker.
Thanks for the information, very much appreciated. I’m not installing them myself, my dealer is. So it sounds like you’re saying that the OEM switch for 4wd is still the switch for 4wd and will engage and disengage the lockers and i4wd will be permanently decommissioned….

Again, thank you Matt….👍😎

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the information, very much appreciated. I’m not installing them myself, my dealer is. So it sounds like you’re saying that the OEM switch for 4wd is still the switch for 4wd and will engage and disengage the lockers and i4wd will be permanently decommissioned….

Again, thank you Matt….👍😎
You are completely misunderstanding how i4WD and the Torque Locker work. You should re-read Matt's post (and this entire thread for that matter). It is fully explained several times how the Torq Locker works and how it coexists with the stock i4WD system.

Torq-Masters

Torq-Masters

Vendor
Jul 11, 2018
Rochester NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
HI All

We are back in stock for the TORQ Locker for Honda Talon. We have some videos in the works - a detailed install video and a before and after locker install video. The install manual has been updated with more detail as well. Let me know if any questions come up, happy to help. Emailing me directly will get you the quickest response. Cora @torqmasters.com

Happy to help!
- Cora

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
HI All

We are back in stock for the TORQ Locker for Honda Talon. We have some videos in the works - a detailed install video and a before and after locker install video. The install manual has been updated with more detail as well. Let me know if any questions come up, happy to help. Emailing me directly will get you the quickest response. Cora @torqmasters.com

Happy to help!
- Cora
Thanks Cora, mine arrived and the Talon is going to the dealer for install this week….👍

Reactions: Remington
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Let us know how it is after install. Thinking of getting one myself!
Will do Remi. I’m getting the 25% IGR done at the same time so he’ll have my machine for a month. Then I’ll get it tested here in the Arkansas hills as soon as possible. But the real test for both will be when I get it back to my New Mexico property and try it out in the Rockies, probably late February/early March…. 😎👍

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just get one, you'll like it! I ordered one when it was first released....pre-order. Easy to install and works great
Probably been answered but does it upset the steering? (i4wd is seamless and other than the growl, completely unnoticeable). I can see where a locker would be better (watching Utube) but it hasn't been an issue so far. I'm fairly new at this and usually solo so fear stops me long before the Talon's limitations do. :oops:

Do you hear/feel it clicking in turns? (referencing the notched engagement pawls (?))

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Probably been answered but does it upset the steering? (i4wd is seamless and other than the growl, completely unnoticeable). I can see where a locker would be better (watching Utube) but it hasn't been an issue so far. I'm fairly new at this and usually solo so fear stops me long before the Talon's limitations do. :oops:

Do you hear/feel it clicking in turns? (referencing the notched engagement pawls (?))
Yes, you would hear noise and feel a difference in the steering.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

The growl comes from the mismatched gearing front to back, a heavier, shock-proof oil & running a higher psi in the front tires can almost eliminate it. Yes you can hear the clicking on turns, I have a TL in the P5 so it doesn't bother me, if you're on the gas while in 4wd and turning you can definitely feel that its locked up, steering gets heavier.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just get one, you'll like it! I ordered one when it was first released....pre-order. Easy to install and works great
Good to hear. Is yours an X2 or X4? What shock proof oil are you running now?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!