PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I can relate to 'depends on the week' - I just got back from Utah, Phoenix, Arkansas, Phoenix, Utah, Denver. Next up, Montana and Idaho.
x.gif

The city yer shop's in. After watching this video of the i4wd being 'tested', it made me realize that something will need to be done with the front end 'eventually'. And since southern Utah is my favorite place in the universe, it would be a simple matter for me to make an appointment to git 'er dun. I think I saw that you had welded Dankathy's u-joint caps and know he's in St. George. To be clear, I'm just toying with the idea now but I'm much more open to the Torq Locker idea than I was before watching this.

In the Salt Lake area.

Personally, I didn't glean any useful information from that video.

What I saw was a Talon with inoperable i4WD get outdone by a couple of machines with bigger/better tires, more ground clearance, 10 inches wider and 60+ more HP. Not really a comparison at all.

I once saw 2 nicely built RZR's get totally embarrassed by a old 4 seat Teryx on a pretty tough obstacle and although I was thoroughly impressed, that doesn't make the Teryx a better machine.

What I want to see is 2 (nearly) identical Talons but one with a TL go head to head using the same driver on the same obstacles, including obstacles that one/both cannot make. That will tell everyone everything they need to know. Until then, these apple to orange comparisons are meaningless, especially when one of the machines isn't even working correctly.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In the Salt Lake area.

Personally, I didn't glean any useful information from that video.

What I saw was a Talon with inoperable i4WD get outdone by a couple of machines with bigger/better tires, more ground clearance, 10 inches wider and 60+ more HP. Not really a comparison at all.

I once saw 2 nicely built RZR's get totally embarrassed by a old 4 seat Teryx on a pretty tough obstacle and although I was thoroughly impressed, that doesn't make the Teryx a better machine.

What I want to see is 2 (nearly) identical Talons but one with a TL go head to head using the same driver on the same obstacles, including obstacles that one/both cannot make. That will tell everyone everything they need to know. Until then, these apple to orange comparisons are meaningless, especially when one of the machines isn't even working correctly.
Not to mention s***ty tires. Those are 50-60,000 purpose built rigs. Once you figure out the talon you can go wherever you want. And not break diffs and axels.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you say Plumber 3x's he'll show up to tell you about i4wd!! @Plumber32 @Plumber32 @Plumber32
It's not perfect for crazy rock crawling but neither is a lot of other things on the talon. You climbed v rock, v notch, dragons back ect. What more are you looking to climb?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It's not perfect for crazy rock crawling but neither is a lot of other things on the talon. You climbed v rock, v notch, dragons back ect. What more are you looking to climb?
I’ll just leave this here.

this rig was different. Same tires though. One rig had two tires on ground spinning and one had only one

Last edited:
Reactions: CID and J80
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’ll just leave this here.

this rig was different. Same tires though. One rig had two tires on ground spinning and one had only one
The second the man said "straighten the wheel" and she let off the gas and unloaded the Talon's front locker, she was doomed (yes, i4WD does utilize a very ingenious locker). She may have also had her foot on the brake and that will also work against you. You need to understand how the front locker works in the Talon and practice/experience so it does what it is intended to do. Just like anything else, once you figure it out, you will see improvement.

Also, those are 2 completely different lines, The Talon would have easily made what the pioneer did. If we are going to compare, let's use identical trails and lines and drivers or the comparisons are meaningless.

Since we are all posting videos, here is a perfect example of how good i4WD does work. I did not think this guy would make it, mud is one of the Talon's biggest problem.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That video shows another DCT quirk, ill-timed upshifts. Using manual mode will still downshift but it won't upshift - it will let you bounce off the rev limiter if you want.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The second the man said "straighten the wheel" and she let off the gas and unloaded the Talon's front locker, she was doomed (yes, i4WD does utilize a very ingenious locker). She may have also had her foot on the brake and that will also work against you. You need to understand how the front locker works in the Talon and practice/experience so it does what it is intended to do. Just like anything else, once you figure it out, you will see improvement.

Also, those are 2 completely different lines, The Talon would have easily made what the pioneer did. If we are going to compare, let's use identical trails and lines and drivers or the comparisons are meaningless.

Since we are all posting videos, here is a perfect example of how good i4WD does work. I did not think this guy would make it, mud is one of the Talon's biggest problem.

Ya I get what you’re saying as well as some others. Gotta drive fast, gotta not hit brakes, gotta make sure locker is engaged, gotta have momentum, gotta gotta gotta. And yes I get they are different machines. But they are within a couple hundred pounds, they both have same width and very close in length. Both had same tires, main difference is the diff. We watched all day with multiple drivers, different lines up that as we played there several times. Both Talons struggled at low speed and neither Pioneer did. You could stop anywhere and just continue going afterwards which was almost never case with Talon. You could also straddle the ditch easier with Pioneer. I watched on mud, snow and crawling over downed wet logs, differences were there. And I blew tire off the bead trying to stay at good speed twice but only in Talon. And you didn’t need to follow the I-4wd guidelines. Yes I know how to drive both rigs and will go or at least attempt to go wherever anyone else on the forums goes and sometimes where they won’t as I’m sure some know.
Now they both have different purposes like I’ve continued to say yet I’ll admit when one is better at something then the others which is definitely something many just can’t do, not sure if it’s pride or lack of putting the machine in like circumstances.
Ok bottom line, I-4wd will do most of what diff does and is better at high speed maneuvering. Following Pioneers where I love and ride can be a bit dicey, however get out in the open it’s f***n wonderful. I’m getting use to it and not b****ing as much but still aware of its downfalls.

Last edited:
Torq-Masters

Torq-Masters

Vendor
Jul 11, 2018
Rochester NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

We are working on a Before and After TORQ Locker video. Same driver, same trail situations, completely stock Talon. Only difference is adding a Locker.

Josh97stang

Josh97stang

Sep 12, 2020
Sheridan, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
We are working on a Before and After TORQ Locker video. Same driver, same trail situations, completely stock Talon. Only difference is adding a Locker.
How's that video coming along? I am on the fence about getting a locker and a comparison video would be a great asset.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I’ve had one for a while but had some dif issues. Deciding if I go back with it.
Mine binds & pops every once in a while when I back up while turning tight, other than that no complaints. The Talon power steering box is sh1t but thats another issue.

Reactions: Smittyp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!