Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Good to hear. Is yours an X2 or X4? What shock proof oil are you running now?
2019 X2, as I've mentioned in a few other posts, the combination of Shock Proof & running the front tires 4-5 psi higher than the rears drastically reduces the gear whine of the straight cut gears in the front end. This oil looks like Pepto Bismol, sorta pink :oops:
Screenshot 20211228 092953 Amazon Shopping

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
2019 X2, as I've mentioned in a few other posts, the combination of Shock Proof & running the front tires 4-5 psi higher than the rears drastically reduces the gear whine of the straight cut gears in the front end. This oil looks like Pepto Bismol, sorta pink :oops:
View attachment 310914
Nice, thank you….

Reactions: Remington
Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
Torq Locker Review:

Over the holiday I was able to install my Torq Locker in my 2021 R2 and put about 200 miles on it.

First off, this is my second Torq Locker. I previously install one in my old 2014 Cam Am Maverick. Was very happy with it versus the Visco Lock system. So I had a comfort level installing it in my Talon.

What drove me to install it in my Talon was a few bad experiences I had with the i4WD. Obviously the bogging in mud was an issue. The bigger issue for me was climbing a steep loose rock hill in high gear when the i4WD system applied the brakes to the spinning front wheels which brought be to a complete stop on the steepest part of the hill. Pretty scary. I backed down and did it again in low range and still fought the i4WD but made it.

Installation: Pretty simple. One piece of advice, remove the differential by removing the three screws attaching it to the clutch. Do not pull the drive shaft off the clutch. This made it very easy to remove and install. Although I suggest a helper to align the differential to the clutch during the reinstallation. I did not use any i4WD bypass.

Riding in 4WD: It is slightly noticeable driving in a straight line. Both wheels are pulling and you can feel it. Not a big deal. However once you steer off center, only the inside wheel is pulling and the feeling almost goes away. Very good feeling.

Mud: All I can say is you might want to get bigger front fender extenders. This thing will now spin both front wheels with no bogging. Throws mud everywhere.

Rock Crawling: I didn't get a change to do anything too aggressive, but it just pulled very nicely over anything I tried.

Oh and that steep hill with loose rocks, it climbed it in high gear like it was nothing.

Overall, excellent upgrade and well worth the money.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Torq Locker Review:

Over the holiday I was able to install my Torq Locker in my 2021 R2 and put about 200 miles on it.

First off, this is my second Torq Locker. I previously install one in my old 2014 Cam Am Maverick. Was very happy with it versus the Visco Lock system. So I had a comfort level installing it in my Talon.

What drove me to install it in my Talon was a few bad experiences I had with the i4WD. Obviously the bogging in mud was an issue, but the bigger issue for me was climbing a steep loose rock hill in high gear and the i4WD applied braking to the spinning front wheels which brought be to a complete stop on the steepest part of the hill. Pretty scary. I backed down and did it again in low range and still fought the i4WD but made it.

Installation: Pretty simple. One piece of advise, remove the differential by removing the three screws attaching it to the clutch. Do not pull the drive shaft off the clutch. This made it very easy to remove and install. Although I suggest a helper to align the differential to the clutch during the reinstallation. I did not use any i4WD bypass.

Riding in 4WD: It is slightly noticeable driving in a straight line. Both wheels are pulling and you can feel it. Not a big deal. However once you steer off center, only the inside wheel is pulling and the feeling almost goes away. Very good feeling.

Mud: All I can say is you might want to get bigger front fender extenders. This thing now will spin both front wheels with no bogging. Through mud everywhere.

Rock Crawling: I didn't get a change to do anything too aggressive, but it just pulled very nicely over anything I tried.

Oh
Nice, grateful for that update, hope you can provide more once you’ve had a chance to get some more experience on steep Rocky terrain, which is what led me to go for the lockers to begin with….😎👍

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
See update. I accidently hit the post button before I completed my write up.
Oh that’s very encouraging news. Thank you for posting…👍

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Torq Locker Review:

What drove me to install it in my Talon was a few bad experiences I had with the i4WD. Obviously the bogging in mud was an issue. The bigger issue for me was climbing a steep loose rock hill in high gear when the i4WD system applied the brakes to the spinning front wheels which brought be to a complete stop on the steepest part of the hill. Pretty scary. I backed down and did it again in low range and still fought the i4WD but made it.

Installation: Pretty simple. One piece of advice, remove the differential by removing the three screws attaching it to the clutch. Do not pull the drive shaft off the clutch. This made it very easy to remove and install. Although I suggest a helper to align the differential to the clutch during the reinstallation. I did not use any i4WD bypass.

Mud: All I can say is you might want to get bigger front fender extenders. This thing will now spin both front wheels with no bogging. Throws mud everywhere.

Oh and that steep hill with loose rocks, it climbed it in high gear like it was nothing.

Overall, excellent upgrade and well worth the money.

Just my 2 cents.
Here ya go @Remington 😎👍

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Has anyone that installed the Torq Locker used their machine at the dunes? I ride about 50/50 Rock Crawling/Dunes and I know the TL will make a great improvement crawling, I need to make sure I don't lose too much steering at the dunes while in 4WD.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Has anyone that installed the Torq Locker used their machine at the dunes? I ride about 50/50 Rock Crawling/Dunes and I know the TL will make a great improvement crawling, I need to make sure I don't lose too much steering at the dunes while in 4WD.
Can't you kick the TL out of service when in the Dunes?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
NO, and if that were possible I would not have asked my question in the first place.
Well that's what I thought, dang shame Honda got away from the best of two worlds, like the P1 deluxe's have. Then I would have never asked the stupid question.

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
@PaulF
I have used my P500 over 4000 mi since the locker install - almost 100% in 4WD and the torque locker installed. Lots of sand and dunes - it turns great in the dunes/sand - pulls through the turns-no plowing. You'll love the extra traction in most all situations. I even run it i n 4WD/lockrd on graded roads and it corners better. I only use 2WD on pavement. once used to it you'll never go back :)
WB

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Come on UP @PaulF , you can take mine for a spin, may want to wait until the snow melts though 🥶
Thanks for the offer but I don't know where "UP" is. No matter, I went ahead and ordered one anyway. I am going to test it out on my machine in my areas and my riding styles. I will know pretty quickly if I don't like it so if it doesn't suite my needs, I will just take it out and go back to i4WD.

If it turns out to be as good as everyone says, I will stock up on them and sell/install them locally.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks for the offer but I don't know where "UP" is. No matter, I went ahead and ordered one anyway. I am going to test it out on my machine in my areas and my riding styles. I will know pretty quickly if I don't like it so if it doesn't suite my needs, I will just take it out and go back to i4WD.

If it turns out to be as good as everyone says, I will stock up on them and sell/install them locally.
250px MichiganUpperPeninsula
UP here...... as in the U.P. :cool:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!