P1000 Torque-biasing limited slip differential?

S

symphony

Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
From the press releases Honda has indicated "All 2022 Pioneer 1000 versions come standard with Honda’s torque-biasing, limited-slip differential. Turf Mode utilizes two-wheel drive and the limited-slip rear differential to protect lawns and other sensitive surfaces."

If I understand this, it essentially means that if I have my P1000 in Turf Mode and one wheel starts slipping, the limited slip differential will lock both wheels in the rear? Along the same lines, if I have it in 4WD and one front wheel and one rear wheel starts slipping, both the front and rear differentials will lock automatically? Isn't this in essence what the i-4WD system does without the intervention of the locking the wheel that is slipping using the brakes? Just trying to figure out why you would choose the i-4WD system over the standard when the latter has the ability to manually lock both front and rear differentials and as well as has a limited slip feature?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just trying to figure out why you would choose the i-4WD system over the standard when the latter has the ability to manually lock both front and rear differentials and as well as has a limited slip feature?
Well in Talon’s you have no choice in the matter unless you buy the Torque locker and do it yourself.
The P1’s have i4WD as an option for someone who wants it over the locker. I have both. Ive thought about the TL for my talon, but so far the i4WD has been working just fine for me till it fails me then Ill change.
on the P1 with lock its been nice in the situations where ive needed it. Its all about options and preference.

PS, still no pics from you! 🤨

Last edited:
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
From the press releases Honda has indicated "All 2022 Pioneer 1000 versions come standard with Honda’s torque-biasing, limited-slip differential. Turf Mode utilizes two-wheel drive and the limited-slip rear differential to protect lawns and other sensitive surfaces."

If I understand this, it essentially means that if I have my P1000 in Turf Mode and one wheel starts slipping, the limited slip differential will lock both wheels in the rear? Along the same lines, if I have it in 4WD and one front wheel and one rear wheel starts slipping, both the front and rear differentials will lock automatically? Isn't this in essence what the i-4WD system does without the intervention of the locking the wheel that is slipping using the brakes? Just trying to figure out why you would choose the i-4WD system over the standard when the latter has the ability to manually lock both front and rear differentials and as well as has a limited slip feature?
Limited Slip Diffs do not lock up at all. They merely try to bias some amount of torque to the tire with less resistance. The further from equal traction you get(off road, off camber), the more likely the clutches or helical gears will be overcome and your back to a one wheel wonder.
Some old school dudes will remember using the brakes lightly to help bias more torque and this is exactly what i-4wd does, except it only applies brake force to the tire with less resistance, therefore making it more efficient. This method works fantasticly but has the drawback of absorbing some of the total available torque. There are a few automotive differentials that are lockable and have LSD when unlocked, but most are one or the other.
i-4wd will keep up with a locker in more than 90% of situations and is more seamless.
A locker will outperform i-4wd in the most brutal of conditions but you have to stop to engage it first.

Honda for the win.....

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!