P1000 Tough country front bumper in production!!

Kingmudd

Kingmudd

Nov 22, 2015
That's good news a top mount winch bumper. I saw the new EMP bumper and was very disapointed as the winch is behind the bumper.
I was disappointed with the emp also. I've had bad luck in the past stuck in the mud with a winch behind the bumper trying to get at the free spool lever which was buried (half the bumper was buried). I need a top mount winch with the bumper mounted to the frame and the fact they will put a front mount receiver is a plus also. I just can't wait for it I hope they don't disappoint.

Reactions: Tot
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
To be honest I'm kinda worried about the cooling on these hondas. Last weekend when I was out riding. Just from the dust and a couple holes we went thru clogged the radiator pretty easy. The readout got up to the 3rd little icon on the dash before I ran back to camp to spray it out. I've noticed when I'm just riding on a regular day the fan stays on alot. No imagine with the emp bumper on it. Even less air flow. Then add a winch to that bumper. I guess it might be ok for certain people but you better not do anything strenuous with it .
I totally agree and I have noticed my third icon never comes on that I've noticed! stock bumper! Fan doesn't run to often either. I 100% agree with you I want to stay away I actually started a thread on this awhile back it was a pole taken not many participated!

Reactions: Scooterchris
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I was disappointed with the emp also. I've had bad luck in the past stuck in the mud with a winch behind the bumper trying to get at the free spool lever which was buried (half the bumper was buried). I need a top mount winch with the bumper mounted to the frame and the fact they will put a front mount receiver is a plus also. I just can't wait for it I hope they don't disappoint.
u worried about blocking the radiator at all and heat etc?

Kingmudd

Kingmudd

Nov 22, 2015
That was my initial thought. (look at post #54 in the emp front winch bumper thread) sorry I can't figure out how to make it a link.
Not sure how hot it will get but it would be nice if these things came with a temp gauge then we would know for sure. I'm gonna look into adding one to ease my peace of mind.

Donnie

Donnie

Dec 18, 2015
SW Missouri
Something to consider, my buddy had a 800 Ranger and he kept breaking fan blades. If the fan was running and he hit the water, the blades would break off. Weird because I've never heard of this before, but I watched him break 2. His new 900 doesn't do this.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Something to consider, my buddy had a 800 Ranger and he kept breaking fan blades. If the fan was running and he hit the water, the blades would break off. Weird because I've never heard of this before, but I watched him break 2. His new 900 doesn't do this.
I know you can use a toggle switch for auto on or off for the can for fording water. The military uses it all the time and someone made one for the can am commander. They were having a problem with heat which was the initial reason to run it a lot.

Reactions: Scooterchris
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
I know you can use a toggle switch for auto on or off for the can for fording water. The military uses it all the time and someone made one for the can am commander. They were having a problem with heat which was the initial reason to run it a lot.

Sounds like a excellent idea buddy.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
I totally agree and I have noticed my third icon never comes on that I've noticed! stock bumper! Fan doesn't run to often either. I 100% agree with you I want to stay away I actually started a thread on this awhile back it was a pole taken not many participated!

The 3rd icon only comes on when the radiator gets caked. Moving it went off but going thru tight trails all caked up made it come on.
Going thru deep holes with a bumper like the emp is gonna lead to overheating. Those style bumpers are made for people in non water and mudding situations

Reactions: dale5740
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I've seen fan blades puncture radiators from coming on while under water. Not on a UTV but on jeeps. I'm sure its probably possible on a UTV though.

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Emp front bumper was just on their site for 0.00 as if you could have it for nothing. I'm sure they would get to the point charging what they want but I hate to fill out and not know the price. Gonna wait and see this tough country anyway

advertisement
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
That was my initial thought. (look at post #54 in the emp front winch bumper thread) sorry I can't figure out how to make it a link.
Not sure how hot it will get but it would be nice if these things came with a temp gauge then we would know for sure. I'm gonna look into adding one to ease my peace of mind.
check Trail Tech || Technology for the Trail I highly recommend their gauges temp up and running in 15 min tops check tto under gauges!!

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I know I can't go with these style big flat covered bumpers!!!!! and in addition to that I don't think I should be sticking big winches and lights all in front of the radiators either. They look cool I give u that. What is the reason everyone wants the winch on top anyway! I guess it does look cool and it does eliminate rope angle. But no real big deal. Idk if i was a severe mud bogger I guess I could see not wanting to reach down in the mud every so often to freewheel etc but damn how often u getting stuck? When I do get stuck Im to busy being glad I have a winch to be mad at having to get my hands dirty. Maybe people care more about them being mounted low for getting wet etc more often I think that is more valid than getting dirty for me! My ranger winch was mounted low never bothered me a bit for how often I needed it. If I was going to be on a ride where I thought I would more than likely need it I would just let some out and put it up high on bumper and tighten it up for that ride and if stuck let it out with the switch took a bit longer but AGAIN how often u getting stuck lol BUMPERS LOOK COOL BUT PRACTICALITY is where i draw the line. Im not going to have my machine running hotter than need be for years to look a little better. Also we used to sit in water covering the winch for long periods of time never cause a problem for years!!! 2 times a year I would just spray a little corrosion preventer on winch and good to go. Also if I have to put a new winch on every 4-5 years or so I will. totally abused my last winch (cheap one) on my ranger for almost 9 years and never failed (just my opinion) Id love to hear others opinions on the matter an argument does help us come to good conclusions!!

Reactions: CashMoney
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I always pull out some winch rope before entering a deep hole incase I need it. See the attached picture....this is @Delton with some rope pulled just incase.
9569f358cae13988ee39646a76cfea97

Here is me with a tow rope attached to the winch just incase.

86404a229b9a222e7b3b0c30a794195f

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just my opinion....

To me, that is pretty easy. I don't feel good about having the winch mounted high, it seems to add too much leverage to the bumper attachment points. Honda put the winch low for a reason, it pulls from a strong point on the frame.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Just my opinion....

To me, that is pretty easy. I don't feel good about having the winch mounted high, it seems to add too much leverage to the bumper attachment points. Honda put the winch low for a reason, it pulls from a strong point on the frame.
good points as well!!!

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am not worried about the effects that a bumper might have on overheating. Sure it may block some natural airflow, but that's what the fan is for. Truly blocking the radiator would be cardboard directly in front of the radiator and that's not happening with these bumpers. If you are riding the fine line of overheating due to mud caking up the radiator, you really need to consider relocating the radiator.

I like the tough country bumpers and that is the one I am waiting on. They remind me of a ranchhand bumper.

Waylan

Reactions: Kingmudd and Tot
KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
I am not worried about the effects that a bumper might have on overheating. Sure it may block some natural airflow, but that's what the fan is for. Truly blocking the radiator would be cardboard directly in front of the radiator and that's not happening with these bumpers. If you are riding the fine line of overheating due to mud caking up the radiator, you really need to consider relocating the radiator.

I like the tough country bumpers and that is the one I am waiting on. They remind me of a ranchhand bumper.

Waylan
I will probably get a emp bumper and cut a hand section in the top to get to the free spool and put that piece on a hinge. Regardless I'm waiting to see how this rough country looks first

Reactions: Tot
chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Waylan
I will probably get a emp bumper and cut a hand section in the top to get to the free spool and put that piece on a hinge. Regardless I'm waiting to see how this rough country looks first
emp says winch plate fits up to 4000

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!