P1000m5 Tow behind mower

T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
Does anyone use a mower that they tow behind a Sxs? We may be buying a new house in 4 acres. I currently have a lawn service and sold all my lawn equipment a couple years ago. I'm thinking about looking for a mower to tow behind my pioneer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Does anyone use a mower that they tow behind a Sxs? We may be buying a new house in 4 acres. I currently have a lawn service and sold all my lawn equipment a couple years ago. I'm thinking about looking for a mower to tow behind my pioneer.

I know a lady around here does with her atv, only problem is you cannot get up close and it's a pain to get turned around. I would say get a zero turn as it will save a lot of time for you. Also they yard will look better as hers looks bad with a pull behind. Just my thoughts

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

I don't have one but my neighbor does. They mow pretty close to what you are talking about with a tow behind a Kawi Mule (not a Pro FXT, one of the older smaller designs)and a Kubota tractor. They were doing it with an ATV a while ago and she said that it was really, really hard going that slow for that long. The Kawi seems to do it fine but the Kawi is designed to go slow.

I did some research before I bought my new mower here is what I found:

Pros-

-Don't have to keep up a mower
-Takes up less storage space
-Could get seat time on my ATV (at the time)
-Cheaper than a mower

Cons-

-Going that slow for that long could overheat an ATV (I don't know about the Pioneer)
-Going that slow on an ATV was very hard on your thumb (maybe leg cramps on a SXS?)
-You can't back them up without potentially damaging something
-You have to start and keep the mower deck running and sometimes it will shut off and you don't notice until you turn to come back
-You can't get real close to things so you will need some type of a finishing mower/push mower/trimmer to finish up close to stuff
-The really nice ones are nearly as expensive as a good quality mower
-The cut quality leaves a little to be desired

If you have 4 acres to mow, I would probably go with a commercial quality zero turn. If you have hills or pretty much anything that isn't extremely flat land, make sure you buy something with a good high quality serviceable hydrostatic transmission. Hills will ruin big box store mower transmissions in very, very few hours based on my ruining 2 lower quality mowers before figuring out what was going wrong.

ETA:

However, I have been thinking about this again since I also now have a SXS instead of an ATV, so I would like to get more seat time/reduce the garage space needed.

If you do decide to get one, please keep us informed on how it works for you.

Last edited:
D

Dbfg

Dec 15, 2015

I have a swisher 44 inch tow behind that I pull behind mine. It's a finish mower but I set it up as a brush mower. I have been using it a lot lately to mow really thick brush and tall grass. I'm very satisfied with it for my use. To mow a lawn definitely get a finish mower or grooming mower. It is slow, I go around 4-7 MPH but it's a lot more fun than a lawn mower. I crank my stereo and go to it. I have it off set to the drivers side so I can watch it out my mirror. My pioneer hasn't ran hot yet and Ive been using it in south Alabama heat. I've ran it for a couple of hours and no problem. So, a zero turn may look a little better but won't be near as fun.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have a swisher 44 inch tow behind that I pull behind mine. It's a finish mower but I set it up as a brush mower. I have been using it a lot lately to mow really thick brush and tall grass. I'm very satisfied with it for my use. To mow a lawn definitely get a finish mower or grooming mower. It is slow, I go around 4-7 MPH but it's a lot more fun than a lawn mower. I crank my stereo and go to it. I have it off set to the drivers side so I can watch it out my mirror. My pioneer hasn't ran hot yet and Ive been using it in south Alabama heat. I've ran it for a couple of hours and no problem. So, a zero turn may look a little better but won't be near as fun.

Sorry to hijack the thread but how much do you mow and are their any hills?

I have about 1.5 acres that has to be mowed but it is all nearly straight up and down hills all the time.

If I could do it with the Pioneer, that would be really cool. I could get rid of my John Deere X500 (that I really dislike) and have more room in my garage. Plus it can't possibly have a much worse cut than the X500 does.

D

Dbfg

Dec 15, 2015
Sorry to hijack the thread but how much do you mow and are their any hills?

I have about 1.5 acres that has to be mowed but it is all nearly straight up and down hills all the time.

If I could do it with the Pioneer, that would be really cool. I could get rid of my John Deere X500 (that I really dislike) and have more room in my garage. Plus it can't possibly have a much worse cut than the X500 does.

Lately I've cut around 2.5-3 acres. There are some hills, one around 45-50 degree. I just drive down and it does fine. Does get a little scarey but I haven't had any problems. I have driven up while cutting just to see how the pioneer would do. It did awesome. But it probably isn't very safe doing it which is why I cut going down. I cut on the side of some 20-25 degree hills no problem. But just rolling hills and terraces it does fine.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Lately I've cut around 2.5-3 acres. There are some hills, one around 45-50 degree. I just drive down and it does fine. Does get a little scarey but I haven't had any problems. I have driven up while cutting just to see how the pioneer would do. It did awesome. But it probably isn't very safe doing it which is why I cut going down. I cut on the side of some 20-25 degree hills no problem. But just rolling hills and terraces it does fine.

Thanks!

One more question, what model Swisher do you have?

D

Dbfg

Dec 15, 2015
I can't remember the exact model number but it is the 44 inch finish mower. Also for my purpose, using it to cut a lot of really thick stuff I swapped out the engine with an 18.5 hp. Most come with a 10.5-11 hp which for just grass cutting is fine. Cause all the power is just turning blades, not pushing a lawn mower also. But have heard a lot of good things about the 60 inch cut as well. They can be bought with 17-19 hp engines.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!